Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   manual tranny question (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/manual-tranny-question-7311.html)

thecheese429 01-16-2008 10:28 AM

manual tranny question

I have been looking around, but can't seem to find any useful info.
okay, this is prolly a stupid question, but is there such a thing as a manual tranny cooler? I am planning to use my jeep as a workhorse tow vehicle. I mean something that actually has something that goes in front of the radiator.
kinda like an automatic tranny cooler but for a manual.
am I gonna have to put in an external pump and fittings or is there some way of me hooking it up without modifying it too much?

GasSavers_DaX 01-16-2008 10:45 AM

thecheese429,

I have seen a few race Hondas with manual transmission coolers. Ever check the temperature of the transmission oil after a long or hard drive? You think engine oil temperatures are high, you're in for a shock!

I'm not sure if these systems that I have seen had a pump or not. I know that the Honda transmissions use the motion of the differential to "pump" the oil through the transmission - if you're trying to not use a pump, maybe you could strategically place the IN and OUT on the case of the transmission to scavenge this pumping effect. Of course, you'd have to see the inside of the case to know where to put these.

GasSavers_Pete 01-16-2008 04:36 PM

Trans coolers for manuals are normally for race gearboxes having an internal oil pump. For most car makers this is purely for cost reasons.

That said there is no reason why you could not use the drain and fill plug holes to fit fittings to take an oil line to and from remote pump and cooler.

There are plenty of after market set ups available from race and speed shops which could easily be adapted.
Maybe a visit to one or a car show might suggest some answers.

Cheers , Pete.

VetteOwner 01-16-2008 05:36 PM

well a manual transmission yes they can and do get warm like others have said, BUT when towing, id be more concerned with stopping the load. dont go over whatever the owners manual says weight wise. it might also mention about towing.

what are you planning to tow?

thecheese429 01-16-2008 05:41 PM

most likely just a pop up camper gwv ~2500 lbs. it's a pop up so it shouldn't have too much wind resistance.
I just want to keep the tranny nice and cool so I don't have to worry about burning it up.
I'm a little skiddish about it because on another car (minivan) the tranny kept overheating with this same trailer. but that was an auto so I guess it's to be expected.

VetteOwner 01-16-2008 05:48 PM

yea your jeep should do fine, just dont accelerate hard and go easy, might wanna wind out the engine a bit to keep the rpm/torque up so not as much stress is on the tranny. its extremely hard to burn up a manual tranny sicne its all mechanically linked in each gear, an automatic tranny is fluid driven and only has a mechanical linkage when the TQ locks up. obviously if it doesnt lock up the fuid is doign all the work (getting compressed=heat)

thecheese429 01-16-2008 05:49 PM

ok, thanks for the input

GasSavers_Ryland 01-16-2008 08:44 PM

if you switch to a good quality synthetic fluid you should be fine, if you are useing a rear wheel drive vehicle like a jeep, you should also change the rear gear oil as well, and for that rear case, because it is such a small amount of fluid in there, and the beveal gears creating more stress the synthetic will help alot, and for some vehicles you can geat rear differentail covers that have cooling fins on them.
Last time I changed tranny oil on my car, I drove it around for about 20 miles first, and the oil was luke warm.

GasSavers_Red 01-16-2008 09:06 PM

Welcome to the site cheese

Whats kind of tranny do you have behind the 2.5? The AX-5 I think? Which rear end? Manuals don't have to worry about heat build up as much as autos do, since power is transferred mechanically rather than through a fluid. If you were to hook up cooler you will have to get a pump since all we have are oil slingers, no pump internal to the tranny

thecheese429 01-17-2008 03:15 AM

I believe that that is it, (I don't want to go out and look) but it is the 5 speed. I'm sure that it isn't anything more than standard.