Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Anyone use Royal Purple? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/anyone-use-royal-purple-7363.html)

JESSE69 01-23-2008 01:24 PM

Anyone use Royal Purple?

I'm thinking about getting Royal Purple. Check out it's website - https://www.royalpurple.com/index.html

https://www.royalpurple.com/motor-oil.html

https://www.royalpurple.com/rp-perfor...dvantages.html

Anyone use Royal Purple and how was it? It seems to be a real good oil for FASing.

Maybe I'll try 2 quarts Royal Purple with 2 quarts Castrol Syntec at my next oil change and use it for 10,000 miles. More miles if the oil still looks good, and not too dirty.

When I went to an auto store one of the SA said he put Royal Purple into his truck before a 5000 mile round trip cruise to CA back to TX. Then the oil was burnt after the trip. Well, I doubt his story, - what about user experiences here?

BumblingB 01-23-2008 02:03 PM

I've used it. Didn't see any difference from Amsoil plus I've run Mobil 1 before too and never had problems with that either. One RP product I ran was the gear oil in the tranny of my Metro - shifted like butter after the swap!! Again, who knows, probably would of gotten the same results from Amsoil, Redline etc.

RP impressed me the most with the "extra" items they gave me. I'm a sucker for "free" stuff so the free hats etc they gave me were enough to win me over. :)

On that note, I don't run it in my diesels nor do I run it in my motorhome. I will be swapping some gear lube in the Corvette when I get around to rebuilding the rear end in about 3 years.

michaelwoodcock 01-23-2008 02:34 PM

This oil gave me better cold starting over non synthetic oil. I guess all Synthetics do that though?
that is all i have to offer as far as the oil goes. Oh, and it does not makd noticable deposits

bones33 01-24-2008 02:09 AM

I've used RP gear oil in two of my vehicles. Noticeably reduced friction and smoother shifts vs dino oil, must be viscosity related. My local trans shop says that synthetics in automatics are not really that beneficial, but synthetics in manual trans are worthwhile. I know my manual shifts better with syn.

Except in extreme duty applications, I believe synthetic engine oil is at best break even (with an extended drain interval) and in most cases a money losing proposition. In engines where part of the requirement is to keep contaminants suspended and the change intervals are more frequent it just makes sense to keep clean relatively cheap dino oil in your engine. Dino engine oils are actually really good these days, engines are lasting multiple 100,000s of miles when dino oil is changed regularly, that to me says that metal to metal contact is pretty minimal.

As for cold starting there might be some benefit of syn, however the more frequent drain intervals when using dino allow using the correct viscosity for the changing temperatures of the seasons, possibly reducing this benefit.

Also keep in mind that 3000 mile drain intervals are too frequent for almost everyone. If you want to know how far you can go between changes, send a sample of your oil to a lab for analysis, it's like 15 bucks. You'll likely find that you can safely double your mileage between drain intervals. At work we change dino oil in our 1000Kw generators every 3 years, based on lab analysis.

bowtieguy 01-24-2008 03:30 AM

never used it but...

the guys on horsepower tv put their products in the engine,tranny, and rear end of a 2000 camaro. that mod alone yielded 9 extra hp, suggesting to me that friction was significantly reduced.

SL8Brick 01-24-2008 05:42 AM

I don't use it...VOAs on BiTOG weren't very impressive. I know some folks swear by it, but it is rather expensive when compared to other syns.

FWIW - Valvoline SynPower (full syn) is BOGO @ Advanced Auto...stock up while you can.

Project84 01-25-2008 12:05 AM

A member of the Napa Staff I use as a supplier suggested Royal Purple to me and said he's been using it for a few years now in his Dodge Durango. Said he goes 12k mi. on his oil change intervals and swaps the filter at 6k and then refills the engine w/ the 6k mi. used RP. Said he had to do a headgasket late last year ('07) and the engine looked polished on the inside... no gunk anywhere.

So, taking what he says into consideration:

Full synthetic motor oil at $5.00 per quart, oil change every 3k (5 quarts), to reach 12k mi. you'd spend $100 in oil alone, then filters at $4 x 4 filters ($16), you'd spend a total of $116 (relatively low estimate).

Royal purple at $8.50 per quart @ 10 quarts... $85 plus $8 for 2 filters, $93.

GasSavers_SD26 01-25-2008 03:42 AM

[QUOTE=Project84;89546
Full synthetic motor oil at $5.00 per quart, oil change every 3k (5 quarts), to reach 12k mi. you'd spend $100 in oil alone, then filters at $4 x 4 filters ($16), you'd spend a total of $116 (relatively low estimate).

Royal purple at $8.50 per quart @ 10 quarts... $85 plus $8 for 2 filters, $93.[/QUOTE]

You could go longer on the original oil change to every 4k. You'd save $29 right there and be at the same cost. Is Royal Purple 60% better than $5 oils?

Honestly, I'm trying to find that kind of stuff out myself.

jcp123 01-25-2008 07:03 AM

From what I've heard, RP is more of a racing-oriented oil where Amsoil is based on longevity (25k mile oil changes, and I've heard more than one person say they've submitted samples @ 25k miles for analysis showing that its protection was not significantly compromised even then - indicating you could probably go even further than that). That makes sense given most of the places I've seen Royal Purple for sale are speed shops...

bowtieguy 01-25-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcp123 (Post 89588)
From what I've heard, RP is more of a racing-oriented oil where Amsoil is based on longevity (25k mile oil changes, and I've heard more than one person say they've submitted samples @ 25k miles for analysis showing that its protection was not significantly compromised even then - indicating you could probably go even further than that). That makes sense given most of the places I've seen Royal Purple for sale are speed shops...

well you said it! so...

my source(an award winning master mechanic) tells me that amsoil lubricants are THE best in the world PERIOD

this is via oil analysis AND hands on experience.

i do NOT sell amsoil BTW.