Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   VX Shift Light Location (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/vx-shift-light-location-7407.html)

92VX 01-26-2008 06:46 AM

VX Shift Light Location

What light indicator in the dash is for the shift light?

Danronian 01-26-2008 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rancho VX (Post 89689)
What light indicator in the dash is for the shift light?

The one with the white square around it. Only dummy light like that on the cluster. It's below/between the temp/fuel gauge.

92VX 01-26-2008 08:02 AM

None of mine have a white square around an indicator. My car is a California VX so maybe the instrument cluster is completely differnt. I was hoping I could just plop a bulb in and have it work. Do you have a picture?

92VX 01-26-2008 08:24 AM

I found a picture on the internet. I see what you are talking about with the white box around the indicator. I have a bulb location there but it is not wired to anything.

On a side note, it takes a ton of force to pull the plastic around the instrument cluster.

dogncatboy 01-26-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rancho VX (Post 89695)
I found a picture on the internet. I see what you are talking about with the white box around the indicator. I have a bulb location there but it is not wired to anything.

On a side note, it takes a ton of force to pull the plastic around the instrument cluster.

It comes out gently too, you just have to take the time to locate where it clips in. There are no wires, the bulbs in the instrument cluster are powered by traces that are on the board that holds them, kind of like a printed circuit board.

92VX 01-26-2008 11:48 AM

Mine did not come out gently, the plastic had never been pulled out. It took considerable force just to get it to unclip on any section.

When I said not wired to anything I meant the printed circuit board. It goes to a section that doesn't plug into anything. Couldn't find any extra wires in the dash that might be hanging out but not plugged in. Looks like the circuit needs to somehow connect to another part of the board. If you follow the printed circuit it went to two holes that weren't wired or soldered to anything. Plus the face of the cluster at that indicator would not allow any light to pass through so I'm skipping on having the shift light.

GasSavers_Crazy88 02-14-2008 03:22 PM

I have a 1992 California VX, and it doesn't appear to have a shift light either. This is my second VX, and my first was a federal car and it had a shift light, so I know where it is supposed to be.

Perhaps California cars just didn't come with one.

92VX 02-14-2008 05:32 PM

None of the California VXs came with the shift light, I was trying to add one. I was hoping to get away by just throwing a bulb in an empty bulb holder, no such luck. I figured if Honda was lazy enough to leave the good wide band oxygen sensor in the '92 California VXs, maybe they used the same instrument cluster and just left a bulb out.