Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Diesels (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Warm Air Intake (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/warm-air-intake-7409.html)

GasSavers_panther 01-26-2008 11:47 AM

Warm Air Intake

6 Attachment(s)
This is my first Warm Air Intake :)

After many research from internet,books, and consultation with an expert, I decided to start build my own warm air intake on 20th January 2008 on my Isuzu Panther with 2,5 L Diesel Engine. First,I still want to use stock air filter box to get fresh air from outside the engine bay and maybe this make less efficiency but I remember there is also less dense if I get the warm air from engine bay. I need "Warmed Oxygen" to make a complete combustion and not warm air only. So, I bought some new 2,5" stainless steel pipe ( as I know stainless steel pipe is good in heat resistance ) and get started.
To connect the U pipe with the filter air box I used a cutted rubber hose from Honda CRV and to intake manifold, I used rubber hose from Toyota Kijang / Unser complete with Ballon ( I don't know what the factory's name ).
Combine with fuel filter Donaldson J86-20080, now I get 20% more efficiency on my car. This is sounds nice,isn't it? :)

Next step, I'm still working on research to mix an SVO with acetone and I really hope for many suggestion, critics and source from you.
Btw, Thanks :)

s2man 01-26-2008 10:11 PM

Nice looking setup, panther. I can't tell from the pictures - where is your SS tubing picking up the heat? From the coolant, or the exhaust, or...? Do you have before and after intake air temps?

kamesama980 01-27-2008 01:40 AM

the ballon (or balloon in english) is actually a type of helmholtz resonator and only serves to lower intake noise...the hiss of air going into the engine.

If you look at the pic, the pipe U bend is directly behind the radiator above the fan. it uses heat removed from the coolant to warm the charge.

GasSavers_panther 01-27-2008 03:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by s2man (Post 89751)
Nice looking setup, panther. I can't tell from the pictures - where is your SS tubing picking up the heat? From the coolant, or the exhaust, or...? Do you have before and after intake air temps?

The SS tubing picking up the heat from the coolant and whole engine bay. I didn't make any measurement for the temp yet but I think this the best way for tropic climate in my place. 20 minutes on the road, the temperature of the SS tubing is enough to warmed the air. Actually, we know that too hot air means less power. Until now, I'm really satisfied for the results but I also need advices from all of you to make it better. :)

GasSavers_panther 01-27-2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamesama980 (Post 89756)
the ballon (or balloon in english) is actually a type of helmholtz resonator and only serves to lower intake noise...the hiss of air going into the engine.

If you look at the pic, the pipe U bend is directly behind the radiator above the fan. it uses heat removed from the coolant to warm the charge.

In your opinion, which is better if I still use the Balloon or not? I'm still really confused about the effect on the intake system.

Sludgy 01-28-2008 01:00 AM

I understand how WAI helps gas engines. WAI reduces throttling losses. But diesels have no throttles. How does WAI help a diesel?

GasSavers_panther 01-28-2008 02:20 AM

It's Simple. Diesel is a compressed combustion engine. Hotter the air enter the engine, better combustion we will get and better combustion produce better power and torque. So,about the fuel saving, I have a question for you, when you drive a car,what will you do if you feel there is no enough power and torque to get the speed you want?

Sludgy 01-28-2008 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 89815)
It's Simple. Diesel is a compressed combustion engine. Hotter the air enter the engine, better combustion we will get and better combustion produce better power and torque. So,about the fuel saving, I have a question for you, when you drive a car,what will you do if you feel there is no enough power and torque to get the speed you want?

Colder air leans out the A/F ratio in a diesel. Lean combustion improves FE because combustion is more complete. Warm air in a diesel will richen the mixture and hurt FE.

I already have more power than I need. Almost every modern car has far more power than it needs to get the job done.

GasSavers_panther 01-28-2008 11:14 AM

More perfect the combustion,more the power you get and less you press the gas pedal, less you press the gas pedal means less fuel injected to the engine and it's means Fuel Efficiency :D

I know the theory is like that, but if you need efficiency than "circuit performance", I think this is the best way to increase efficiency on all vehicle include modern engine. How many people drive with over from 3500rpm on the street everyday? I'm sure there is no one do that on busy traffic like Jakarta and many big cities. And on this kind of traffic we lost many fuel which didn't burnt completely and become wasted power when you trapped on traffic jam.

On Your opinion, are there any negative effects on this WAI system as you said that this system hurt FE on diesel engine?

Thanks for your quote :)

GasSavers_Dust 01-29-2008 12:39 AM

If you are looking for more stuff to put in your diesel, I suggest reading on turpentine here

https://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...m/f/9751014871