Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Improving mileage on a 96 Jeep (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/improving-mileage-on-a-96-jeep-7589.html)

katoranger 02-19-2008 01:55 PM

Improving mileage on a 96 Jeep

Ok I have a 1996 Jeep that is my backup commuter and all around tow-rig hauler.

When I do use it for commuting I usually get about 16-17 in the suburban type driving.

I am looking for some tips to improve this thing.

It has a 4.0 liter inline six, auto, and part-time 4x4.

Allen

civic94 02-19-2008 03:38 PM

-airing up the tires
-go 55 mph on freeway, maybe 60 max if someone is tailgating you
-take off unnecessary weight
-keep it at 4x2 mode
-Pulse and Glide when possible
-time lights/travel when theres less traffic

this should get it close to 20 mpg if not very close to that

GasSavers_Red 02-19-2008 08:49 PM

For suburban type driving you are already hitting the high pt of the 4.0, highway should be around 20-22 stock. Usual bits that help most ZJs would be

-Street Tires @ max psi
-Front air dam intact
-Ditch the skids if you have them and don't off road
-Stock height
-Stock air box
-Tune up
-Synthetics in everything

thecheese429 02-20-2008 04:33 AM

another thing to do is tun a bottle of injector/carb cleaner through the gas tank. it made my jeep run a lot smoother and (not long enough to tell) prolly helped my economy a bit too.

rvanengen 02-20-2008 08:12 AM

uhh....

get better city tires...make it more aerodynamic...lighter...

DarbyWalters 02-20-2008 08:28 AM

Not much you can do to the 4.0L tractor engine but you can make the work load lighter. Regular Highway Tread Tires at higher PSI. No Lift. Remove any weight, including back seat. If you have a roof rack...take it off. Since the 4.0L puts out great torque at low RPMs, drive in the 1500-2500 rpm range.

katoranger 02-20-2008 09:00 AM

I tend to never get over 2200rpm, It is not feasible to remove the rear seat becuase I need to keep the child seats in there. I can remove the rack.

I just bought new tires, but they are all-terrain. I use the 4x4 regulary do to work truck status.

It has a K&N cone filter, but I think I saw better mileage with the stock airbox. New cat and 02 sensors thanks to a recall.

I already have the tires aired up. Jeep is stock otherwise.

It probably needs new plugs and wires as I have not done that in the 3 years of ownership.

Sounds like a good weekend item.

I should be happy I get the 16-17, but put the trailer on there and it is 13-14.

Thanks, Allen

rvanengen 02-20-2008 10:04 AM

Sounds like you are using the jeep for what it was designed...work on and off-road. My guess is you have hit your top limit for the vehicle and its use.

A tune-up is always a good idea...ditching the K&N unless you are running in REALLY dusty areas would be a great idea.

Think about putting a little moped in the back and use it for run-around stuff (like a shuttle craft) of less than a mile. :D

trollbait 02-20-2008 01:04 PM

What are you towing?
A covered trailer with a frontal area smaller than the truck would be better than an open one. Airtabs might even help it also.