Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Lambretta DUE50 Scooter (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/lambretta-due50-scooter-7672.html)

DarbyWalters 02-29-2008 10:41 AM

Lambretta DUE50 Scooter

Finally broke down and bought a scooter...been searchin" for about 8 months or so. I refused to even test ride anything bigger (used to have real motorcycles) so I would stick with the 50cc. I test rode the 50cc 4 Stroke and it was just WAY TOO SLOW. Then I got on the 50cc 2 Stroke and it was much better. I still will probably "pipe" this scooter, but it is getting better every mile. You can see the mpg figure I am getting~117~and am VERY HAPPRY with them.

Erdrick 03-01-2008 02:18 AM

117 is nothing to shake a stick at... but with it being a two stroke I wonder what the emissions are... sure it is helping your pocketbook, but the air behind you is another story...

DarbyWalters 03-01-2008 03:27 AM

It is a 2008 so it meets the newer tighter standards...read, barely uses any oil in the process at all. I would bet that 1 gallon of fossil fuel I burn in it over that 117 miles, I pollute less than most other vehicles that burn over 4 times that many gallons of fossil fuel to cover that same 117 miles.

DarbyWalters 03-01-2008 05:49 AM

Since 2006, ALL scooters (even those under 50cc) have to meet EPA Standards. These are no longer "chainsaw" or "weed-wacker" type 2 strokes, so I will help my poketbook and leave good air behind me. EPA Standards do not take into account the VOLUME (yes I turned it up) when they measure ppm. Even if a scooter puts out more ppm it does not mean that it pollutes more per mile...in fact the opposite is true because the volume of exhaust is so much smaller.

EPA: Complying with the EPA Emissions Regulations is required for all vehicles sold for use on the public roads. The only exception to this rule is for scooters with an engine size less than 50 cc. Note: starting in 2006, all engines, even 49 cc and smaller, will be required to meet EPA regulations. The manufacturer must conduct emissions tests on each engine to be certified, following strict guidelines established by Congress and published in the Code of Federal Regulations and enforced by the EPA. Unlike the DOT Compliance which is self regulated by the manufacturers themselves, the EPA Certification requires that an annual application with emissions test data be submitted to the EPA Administrator for review. If all the test data and documentation are approved, the EPA will issue an EPA Certificate of Conformity to the manufacturer, assigning an EPA Engine Family Name to that engine.
But starting in 2006, manufacturers will be required to reduce HC and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions of on-road motorcycles by 60%. Beginning in 2010, fuel lost through hoses and tanks on motorcycles must be limited.
In the past, motorcycles and scooters with an engine displacement of under 50cc's were exempt from EPA Certification. The rules changed for model year 2006 and now all motorcycles and scooters have to be tested and certified under The United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) Onroad Motorcycle rules. These changes affect importing and manufacturing motorcycles with a displacement of under 50cc's and made it much more difficult for a 2-stroke engine to be able to sold in the USA.

"The new EPA rules are good for the industry," says Bill Peirce, President of Cobra Powersports. "We need cleaner burning engines to protect our environment. It's not enough that we offer fuel efficient vehicles, we must also provide the best products for our communities air quality," adds Mr. Peirce. "Many companies won't be able to comply with the new rules because they don't understand how to engineer an engine to pass the emissions and still offer enough power to satisfy the US consumers need for speed. We started planning for this new EPA law over 2 years ago because we knew a 4-stroke engine with a displacement of under 49cc would either be under powered or too expensive to manufacturer in if we had to use multiple valves or fuel injection. We knew we had to be ready with a high-performance 2-stroke engine."