Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Meeting of the Mad Scientists Union, West Hartford CT (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/meeting-of-the-mad-scientists-union-west-hartford-ct-7821.html)

Improbcat 03-18-2008 06:14 AM

Meeting of the Mad Scientists Union, West Hartford CT

Starting April 5th I will be hosting a monthly "Meetings Of the Mad Scientists Union" At my place in West Hartford. I'll opening my garage and encouraging everyone to come work on whatever they have, or talk with other folks and help with their projects or come up with new ideas.

A friend is hoping to bring his blacksmithing rig. I'll either be working on my '62 Comet, or helping my sweetie restore her Schwinn 3-spd trike, or prepping my bikes for the summer. Anything and everyone is welcome.

I've got a compressor, small drill press, a variety of mechanics hand tools, some carpentry power tools, etc. that people are welcome to use.

If people are interested and let me know ahead of time, I can get Chloroplast sheets ahead of time at cost from a friend who works for a sign shop. So if you've ever wanted to do areo modding of your car, this might be the perfect time.

What is the Mad Scientists union?

The concept for the Mad Scientists Union is to encourage people to "Do Things With Stuff", and get others to help them. Basically it is a place to talk about or work on whatever it is you want to work on. And have other people there to lend a hand, bounce ideas off or just come up with the next bad idea. Cars, motorcycles, bicycles, woodworking, electronics, trebuchets, sculpture, or anything else that you're into is welcome.

You are welcome to join where ever you live and whatever you are into. If you want to host your own "meetings" you are also welcome. The only requirements to join are that you're generous with your knowledge and skills, and welcoming of others no matter their interests or skill levels. Remember, there was a time you were new at things, and there are still things you know nothing about.

Lug_Nut 03-20-2008 08:16 AM

Will this be a regularly sheduled, such as first Saturday of the month, event for which we can plan?

brucepick 03-27-2008 05:28 PM

[Edit]
Shoot, that's this weekend!

Anyway, pm me with time and your address. I live in Mystic - a bit of a drive but maybe wifey won't miss me too much.

I've got projects stacked up in a holding pattern that I can't get to, partially due to the dang New England weather!

Improbcat 03-28-2008 05:13 AM

Sorry, apparently I'm not getting reply notifications from this thread.

Yes, it will be a regular first-Saturday event. Unless bad weather or other scheduling conflicts force me to move it. The best plan would be to join the mailing list at the link in my first post so you can be kept up to date.

If you need the address PM me. Brucepick I replied to your email and hope you got it.

JanGeo 03-28-2008 05:50 AM

This weekend is not the first of April - March has 31 days! Next (in another week) weekend is April 5th.

Improbcat 03-28-2008 06:09 AM

JanGeo: Good catch. I didn't even notice he'd said it was this weekend.

So yes, not this weekend but the following one. If you show up this weekend I won't even be in CT. :)

Improbcat 03-28-2008 06:44 AM

Oh and a PS, PM me or email me at pixel@blert.net if you want the address. Everyone is welcome any time from 10am- about 6pm. We may still be working later than that, but no guarantees.

I'm planning on lowering the front suspension on my Comet, one friend is restoring her trike, another is bringing his blacksmithing forge and another is planning on doing the spring tuneup on his Bajaj scooter.

Lug_Nut 03-28-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Improbcat (Post 94776)
another is planning on doing the spring tuneup on his Bajaj scooter.

Potential Buyer: "A Bajaj? That's a three wheeler, isn't it?"
Shady Seller: "Well,... Normally it is."

Improbcat 03-28-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut (Post 94816)
Potential Buyer: "A Bajaj? That's a three wheeler, isn't it?"
Shady Seller: "Well,... Normally it is."

Heh. His is one of this style. It is essentially a Vespa that has been slightly updated. The wheels, fenders and some other parts off his 60's Vespa interchange with it.

brucepick 03-28-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo (Post 94770)
This weekend is not the first of April - March has 31 days! Next (in another week) weekend is April 5th.

My bad. By the time I realized my goof I'd shut down the pc and was halfway into bed.

I hope to be with you guys next weekend.

Bruce