Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Anyone run straight coolant? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/anyone-run-straight-coolant-7860.html)

Three6Eight 03-21-2008 08:04 PM

Anyone run straight coolant?

Anyone here running straight coolant?

I read that water cools better but you cant use pure water because theres no corrosion protection.

So if running hot is better why not just run straight coolant?

Will it get too hot running straight coolant? I'll probably try it out. I think the coolant in my 94 Metro is original anyway so one day when I have some extra time I'll try straight coolant.

Three6Eight 03-21-2008 08:11 PM

Ok I just read that straight coolant will gel up, Whats the absolute minimum amount of distilled water I should add?

VetteOwner 03-22-2008 12:08 AM

really...

lol why use distilled water? i just use whatever comes outa the garden hose...

also cant use pure water cuz it would probably boil in todays cars, freeze in the winter, and yes no corrosion protection.

if your wantign to run hot for some reason just use tape over the front of the radiator, if you cant get air to move between the fins to cool it then walla! it wont cool :)

just put in the correct ammount of coolant and water ratio per your cimate. :)

fowljesse 03-22-2008 12:36 AM

Distilled water decreases corrosion in cars that have differing metals in their cooling system. I always put it in my cars.

8307c4 03-22-2008 12:42 AM

Running straight coolant will actually lower your car's overheating / freezing prevention ability, the water is an absolutely essential part of the mix, with pure antifreeze it's almost as bad as running straight water believe it or not.

It may seem like straight coolant would be the best thing, but oddly enough it isn't.
And yes, I called Prestone years ago about this because it didn't make sense to me either, but that's how it is, water is needed to get the protection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 94291)
Just run what they recommend and be done with it.

Correct
I always mix it 50-50, that way it's easy.

bobc455 03-22-2008 01:31 AM

I have a car that I only use in the summer. Therefore on this car, freeze protection is not necessary.

This engine creates a lot of heat, therefore I need maximum overheat protection.

In this car I run zero antifreeze. In order to run without antifreeze, I add about 8 oz of RMI-25 which provides corrosion protection, lubrication to the water pump, etc., which is normally done by the antifreeze.

Pure water has higher thermal conductivity than then antifreeze mix. However, if you run your engine hot (~195) then there is the possibility that you'll get steam pockets which will really reduce thermal conductivity. Since I run this engine colder (~160 - 170), it is cold enough to run the pure water.

But remember that for optimum gas mileage, generally you want the engine to run hot for best efficiency.

-BC

holypaulie 03-22-2008 05:35 AM

I have in my cooling system 70% water/30% coolant + water wetter (corrosion protection) for the best cooling efficiency.

civic94 03-22-2008 05:52 AM

if you run straight water the radiator is going to rust inside

GasSavers_Otto 03-22-2008 07:40 AM

Use the proper coolant in the proper ratio with distilled water. It comes pre-mixed. This will protect your cooling system, head gasket, etc. which are not a cheap hobby to fix, repairs of which will eat up whatever fuel you may be saving, for the next decade or two.

Water Wetter is an additive that improves heat transfer of coolant. Add to coolant and your fan will have to work less, saving a bit on fuel.

Drag Limited 03-22-2008 09:58 AM

Anyone know where you can get the original "Water Wetter"?

Not the stuff they sell now days, the EPA made them change the formula and now it is not near as useful.