Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   My HHO Generator (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/my-hho-generator-7903.html)

nsgrossman 03-26-2008 05:49 PM

My HHO Generator

Hey everyone, I finally finished my HHO Generator (mostly) I'm missing a few pieces but otherwise entirely finished. I'm getting pretty good results, just need to make a few adjustments. Any suggestions are, as always, greatly appreciated! The link to my video run through is below. Thanks for viewing!

HHO Generator Walk Through

-Nate

ZugyNA 03-27-2008 01:59 AM

* might try baking soda or NaOH with distilled water? Use a bit less than what is recommended for the smackbooster? salt is not good to use.

* make sure you seal ALL connxs very well...the gas gets away easily

* use a bubbler

* good idea to use an ammeter in the circuit...along with a remote temp probe on the cell...for testing best to start low in the 5-6 amp cold range? Most multimeters can handle up to 10 amps.

* if you can set up a connx to the intake and pull the gas with some regulated vacuum you will lose less of it....if you can find a port on the air cleaner side of your throttle valve and right above it...that would be ideal. Will need a one way valve inlet into the cell...don't want to pull a vacuum on the cell.

* be safe

Rayme 03-27-2008 06:27 AM

Wow that looks very simple ( I remember doing that experiment in elementary school with a battery and a wire in a bottle of water).

I got a question, what is the purpose of the filter? Shouldn't the hydrogen be relatively clean Out of the water?

And of course, what gains did you see :)

nsgrossman 03-27-2008 06:01 PM

Two reason for the filter. The first reason is because there are some impurities that follow with the HHO. Secondly, sometimes when the generator is running too long and the water gets too hot it bubbles into the tube, the filter keeps this run off from getting in the main tube. In addition it cools it down a bit (and everyone I've seen recommends one ;)

I have yet to test it because of a 30 cent end cap I broke GRRRR!!! But I should have that part shortly and will update then.

THANKS FOR VIEWING!!!

-Nate

ProtonXX 03-27-2008 08:13 PM

Do you have a PWM circuit? I heard circuits that chop the electricity into MHz does wonders.

nsgrossman 03-28-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtonXX (Post 94757)
Do you have a PWM circuit? I heard circuits that chop the electricity into MHz does wonders.

I hate to show my ineptness but I don't understand any of what you just said, could you elaborate? Thanks for the reply though!

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 03-28-2008 03:06 PM

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation.

I think the idea is that gas production capacity is somewhat limited by the speed the bubbles rise off the plates, so applying power during the times that the gas cannot form just wastes power and puts heat in the cell... ergo chopping the power into intervals long enough to produce a bubble and chopping it off again to give it time to float off the plate gives some efficiency savings.... also there's some theories about cell resonance snowballing the output, and some suggestion that the voltage and current peaks at the edge of the square wave can approach extremely high values which creates effects not otherwise observed in steady state operation.

rangerbentman 03-28-2008 06:57 PM

pwm part two

Not meaning to hijack the thread however I have a question near your HHO generator.
" Has anyone EVER proved that using pulsed waveforms significantly increased HOH production for the same or less power input than straight DC. Does anyone share this information. Who can I connect with ? "
I was also wondering if you could run a smaller generator feeding into the main generator and using the small generator to produce gas to bubble up in the big generator and knock the main gen's gasses off the plates?

nsgrossman 03-28-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior (Post 94836)
PWM = Pulse Width Modulation.

I think the idea is that gas production capacity is somewhat limited by the speed the bubbles rise off the plates, so applying power during the times that the gas cannot form just wastes power and puts heat in the cell... ergo chopping the power into intervals long enough to produce a bubble and chopping it off again to give it time to float off the plate gives some efficiency savings.... also there's some theories about cell resonance snowballing the output, and some suggestion that the voltage and current peaks at the edge of the square wave can approach extremely high values which creates effects not otherwise observed in steady state operation.

Ok, I get what you're saying. Correct me if I'm wrong, bu here's something that still makes me doubt this a bit. So the amount of surface area effects the resistance in the water. More surface area = less resistance = more power being drawn. If bubbles cover the plates then there will be less surface area, therefore more resistance and less power be drawn.

I'm not going to pretend I know entirely what's going on, but that was my understanding....

flapdoodle 03-29-2008 08:37 AM

I experimented with PWM and got less production. The idea of using the bubbles to knock other bubbles off has merit, but I had excellent results by changing the electrode shape.

One thing that needs to be addressed is the warmer solution rises to the top, so that is where the most activity is. You don't have to build a generator to try this. A coffee mug will suffice with electrodes clamped to the sides and attached to a 12 volt battery. Be careful not to let the electrodes touch, and make sure electrolyte does not get in your eyes.