Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Power steering on a VX? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/power-steering-on-a-vx-7948.html)

slogfilet 04-02-2008 09:29 AM

Power steering on a VX?

I saw a Civic VX advertised with A/C, which would be a great find. However, it also said it has power steering, which I didn't think was available... do the A/C models also have PS, or is this a red flag? Haven't heard back from the seller yet.

GasSavers_TomO 04-02-2008 10:29 AM

From my experience, it's a red flag. The only Hatchback models that I know of that came with power steering were the Si models.

Although the original owner/purchaser of the car could've paid a dealer to install power steering. Best to check the VIN against the VX info posts in my signature.

GasSavers_Ryland 04-02-2008 02:04 PM

I can steer my VX with my pinky, at a dead stop in a parking lot, I've done that in front of people, then told them it's not power steering, and their jaw dropped, if the car has power steering then it will have a very full engine compartment on the drivers side, with the power steering pump in there as well, I didn't think the SI even had power steering, but I could be wrong, check the parts list to be sure, so what you most likely have is a person who doesn't know anything about their car.

1993CivicVX 04-03-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 95162)
I can steer my VX with my pinky, at a dead stop in a parking lot, I've done that in front of people, then told them it's not power steering, and their jaw dropped, if the car has power steering then it will have a very full engine compartment on the drivers side, with the power steering pump in there as well, I didn't think the SI even had power steering, but I could be wrong, check the parts list to be sure, so what you most likely have is a person who doesn't know anything about their car.

Yeah, I am continually pleasantly surprised at how easily the steering wheel turns with minimal effort. I dunno that I can steer it when it's stopped with my pinky (I don't think I could anyway without it looking like I was making an effort) but upwards of 1mph and sure... pinky no problem. :)

StorminMatt 04-04-2008 04:33 PM

I don't know that the VX ever came with power steering. But it would certainly be possible for someone to swap it over from another Civic model that had it. Also possible is that the car in question could be some other HB model that has received a D15Z1 swap.

dletm08 04-23-2008 04:11 AM

I had a 94 Civic DX 5spd coupe without power steering. I owned the car a couple months before I even took notice that it didn't have a PS pump. It was easy to steer.

I consistantly got 50mpg+ in that car. I like to think that not having a PS pump helped the MPGs.

Without power steering I could always tell when the front tire air pressure was getting low, because it was alot tougher to turn.

VEI 04-23-2008 08:49 AM

My D15Z1 with power steering.

https://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2026/dscn0570lg5.jpg

But it's not a Vx. It's a european model (Civic VEi, VIN = JHMEG436).

McPatrick 04-23-2008 03:58 PM

Tire size makes a big difference as well. The VX I bought last year had 185's on it and the car steered somewhat on the heavy side at lower speeds. Then I put 155's on the VX and it was a world of difference; steering at lower speeds as if it had power steering.

mustninty 05-04-2008 03:55 PM

The VX I believe does not come with PS but I have seen quite a few with A/C. I have a 92 DX HB and that had PS from the factory before I swapped a manual rack in. I don't believe the SI or CX came with PS either.

Danronian 05-04-2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustninty (Post 97998)
The VX I believe does not come with PS but I have seen quite a few with A/C. I have a 92 DX HB and that had PS from the factory before I swapped a manual rack in. I don't believe the SI or CX came with PS either.

PS was standard on every Si or Ex civic I've seen.

CX and VX manual only

DX it was optional to have the PS