Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   50cc just wouldn't cut it...new 150cc is great (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/50cc-just-wouldnt-cut-it-new-150cc-is-great-7970.html)

DarbyWalters 04-05-2008 12:35 PM

50cc just wouldn't cut it...new 150cc is great

Traded in the Lambretta DUE 50 2 Stroke for a Lambretta UNO 150 4 Stroke. The top speed of 37mph (gps) was just not cutting it. It was not only the top speed but the t.........i........m.........e it took to get there...forever. The 150cc pulls from a dead stop and can go ~65+. The MPG should actually be about the same and maybe better. I won't have to have the throttle wide open all the time like on the 50cc.

smalldisplacementfreak 04-05-2008 04:42 PM

Congrats!

I used to have a 2ST and just ended up with a 125...so much better and, also, no need to worry about 2ST oil.

-SDF

DarbyWalters 04-06-2008 06:31 PM

Rode it 170+ miles toady with a group of 12 scoots. Mostly Suzuki Burman 400s. Pretty much kept up with them on the 150cc with speeds of 55-65 and some good sized hills.

Rstb88 04-06-2008 06:34 PM

So is Lambretta a good brand of Scooter? I have been looking into getting a nice cheap, but new scoot but I dont want one that isnt of good build quality.

GasSavers_Dust 04-06-2008 10:11 PM

My 50cc is either on or off. Even in town in japan there are roads you don’t want to get on, because you'll get run over for not going fast enough.

DarbyWalters 04-07-2008 03:05 AM

Lambretta is a well known line of scooters like Vespa. The original style is built with metal panels. My Lambretta is a "rebadged" Adly Thunder Bike...my 50cc was a "rebadged" Adly Panther 50 2T. It is kinda of wierd, but you want to stay away from most "Chinese" bikes because of build quality and parts...but most Taiwan built bikes are good. You will pay a bit more for a quality bike but you will also get a real warranty and be able to find shops that can service them. Look for bikes with PGO Engines (Kymco for example) or Honda Based Engines (the GY6 for example...Lambretta UNO 150).

Kymoc/People, Lambretta (150cc Model), Honda, Vespa and Genuine Scooter (Stella-old style and Buddy-new style) are ones that are known to produce quality scoots. QLink, Adly and Yamaha are a few others. You can always find "cheap bikes" that may or may not be quality bikes such as Lance, Rocketa, ect.

LauraQ 04-21-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dust (Post 95434)
My 50cc is either on or off. Even in town in japan there are roads you don?t want to get on, because you'll get run over for not going fast enough.

I agree with you. I'm riding a Malaguti Ciak 50 cc here in California and avoid certain roads because of high speed traffic. On smaller roads, however, you can't beat a scooter!

-- LauraQ

DarbyWalters 04-21-2008 07:03 PM

Whatever you do, do not go test ride a 150cc 4 stroke...you will be spending MONEY if you do.

LauraQ 04-22-2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarbyWalters (Post 96532)
Whatever you do, do not go test ride a 150cc 4 stroke...you will be spending MONEY if you do.

Oooooh! Don't tempt me!;)

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 04-22-2008 07:05 AM

Those chinese bikes arrive here as a pile of parts and it's up to the retailer to put them together, from what I've been hearing, it sounds like half the troubles with them are poor assembly, possibly exacerbated by poorly translated instructions, but experienced bike mechanics should be able to put one together right. I think the issue is that a lot of places just pay some spotty kid to throw them together, then refuse to stand behind their work/responsibility in that regard. So I figure you either need to get one at a discount, unassembled and do it right yourself, or you need to pay the extra hundred or two bucks from an established motorcycle dealer and make sure they have an actual mechanic putting them together and they'll stand up for their mistakes.