Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Driving improving FE? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/driving-improving-fe-7982.html)

Nate R 04-08-2008 07:23 AM

Driving improving FE?

How much did you driving habits (and the addition of a Scangauge if you have one) Improve FE for your vehicle?

palemelanesian 04-08-2008 08:29 AM

Average before = 33 mpg
Average now, full-on hypermiling with Scangauge = 55+ mpg.

It's almost all driving technique, too. I have a grill block for faster warmups, higher tire pressure, and the Scangauge.

landspeed 04-08-2008 09:18 AM

My previous car had over 100% improvement due to driving changes, although I did have a grille block too! With this car im getting 34% above EPA with driving style alone (recent tanks better than this). It is auto though so severely limits hypermiling ability.

gutcheck 04-08-2008 10:57 AM

I aired up my tires to 40 the same time I started my improved driving habits. Combined, I'm up 26-30%. So I gave myself half the credit at 11-15%.

Hateful 04-08-2008 12:24 PM

when I drove without any concern to fuel use,I only got 25mpg.Started easing up a little before hearing about hypermiling and got up to 28mpg. Using hypermiling,pumping tires up,oil change to lighter weight got me up to about 32mpg. All the other stuff is hard to say how much I gained. I've gotten as much as 39mpg on a tank in very hot weather but average about 35mpg now.I think I may have slacked off the driving techniques while gaining from physical mods to the car.

swng 04-08-2008 05:29 PM

About 5 -10%. Just voted:).

Fourthbean 04-09-2008 09:18 AM

I have not made any mods to my car, just the driving. my second tank in this car was 51.44 and that was without the scangauge :). The scangauge is nice but I read about other people's findings enough to get the gains from it without having it installed.

It is nice to see that 60MPG 10 mile run though :).

GasSavers_Minger 04-11-2008 10:38 AM

Not much - previously 33 or so, now 36-40 depending on temps and what kind of driving.

Scott_in_Tulsa 04-11-2008 02:37 PM

I used to drive like a bat out of hell most of the time and laughed at anyone driving the speed limit or slower. It's amazing how your opinions change when you are forced to grow up a bit due to financial concerns.

My Honda was getting 28 mpg whenI first bought it. For a little car, it really roared when taking off or accelerating past one of the slow pokes.

Now, I am one of the slow pokes, rearrange my trips to be able to drive even slower and avoid traffic and stop and go driving. I am now getting 39 - 40 mpg for driving to the same destinations as before. These are recent changes but have improved my overall FE average for the last 45 days to 35+ mpg.

I would say that driving habits are 95% of the reason for my increase in FE. I don't have a grill block or a ScanGauge. See my gas log and you will see I haven't changed much else besides bumping up my PSI and testing acetone on one tank.

8307c4 04-11-2008 07:32 PM

Unfortunately your poll doesn't match my own experience, but what I have seen is a gradual increase over time, of a few percent here and there, that add up to 10 to 20% over a time frame that can easily span 1-2 years.

Because at least in my case it has to do with the car, I find I have to drive it the way it wants to be driven, which means I have to allow the car to guide me towards the most efficient methods...
This, unfortunately, varies from one vehicle to the next.

I find I have to study it, and measure constantly, and make minute adjustments (and some not so minute) and keep doing that, just keep doing it.

So it always takes time, and it is a gradual and never-ending process.