Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   3 Wheel Scooter...Piaggio (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/3-wheel-scooter-piaggio-8057.html)

smalldisplacementfreak 04-17-2008 04:37 PM

3 Wheel Scooter...Piaggio

Greetings fellow Gassavers!

Does anyone have one of these?

https://www.motorcycledaily.com/10apr..._500ie_pg1.htm

I actually had the opportunity to test ride one, albeit for a short period, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The 500 has less storage space, but the 400 one is like the 250.

I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my Vino 125 to get one of these, since they are almost like a car, but a lot roomier and bigger than my Vino.

Any thoughts?

Thank you and enjoy what's left in our fuel based world.

-SDF

DarbyWalters 04-18-2008 01:47 PM

I have ridden with a few...from behind it looks like someone is riding with both feet on the ground...LOL. When surfaces get loose/gravely/ect. they definitely have an advantage over thier two wheel friends. Both of the ones I rode with were the 250cc and they did fine. They are a bit heavier than the normal scoot...guess that is why the 250cc is the smallest they offer.

maxxgraphix 04-18-2008 05:06 PM

I'd get a real bike. 1500-3000 will buy you a super nice used motorcycle. That 3 wheel thing doesn't have any advantage over traditional 2 wheel. I'd even say it doesn't handle as well. Fast handling is what saves your a$$ when riding.

LauraQ 05-04-2008 03:39 PM

Piaggio MP3

I test rode one today. I'm 5'4" and 128 pounds, so it was a stretch to begin with that I could handle this thing. Sure enough, too heavy. Looks great, but unless you're comfortable with big bikes (450 lbs), it's not for you. Only a test ride will tell, though. Salesman said they were selling well and I don't doubt it. The weight seems to be distributed low, but when you release the front suspension lock, you can definitely feel that you have something substantial under you.

-- Laura

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalldisplacementfreak (Post 96248)
Greetings fellow Gassavers!

Does anyone have one of these?

https://www.motorcycledaily.com/10apr..._500ie_pg1.htm

I actually had the opportunity to test ride one, albeit for a short period, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The 500 has less storage space, but the 400 one is like the 250.

I'm actually thinking about getting rid of my Vino 125 to get one of these, since they are almost like a car, but a lot roomier and bigger than my Vino.

Any thoughts?

Thank you and enjoy what's left in our fuel based world.

-SDF

LauraQ 05-04-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxxgraphix (Post 96330)
I'd get a real bike. 1500-3000 will buy you a super nice used motorcycle. That 3 wheel thing doesn't have any advantage over traditional 2 wheel. I'd even say it doesn't handle as well. Fast handling is what saves your a$$ when riding.

Good point (at least the last part...scooters ARE real bikes, just a different kind!) Although there's an argument there, I found that it was quite a heavy bike and unless you can handle 450+ pounds, forget it. Tip it over and you can't pick it up alone. In heavy traffic, being able to keep control is vital.

-- Laura

smalldisplacementfreak 05-04-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Quarantiello (Post 97997)
Good point (at least the last part...scooters ARE real bikes, just a different kind!) Although there's an argument there, I found that it was quite a heavy bike and unless you can handle 450+ pounds, forget it. Tip it over and you can't pick it up alone. In heavy traffic, being able to keep control is vital.

-- Laura

I agree when I test rode it the sales person started off talking about the weight. Granted it is heavy, that is why it feels so stable, outside of two front wheels. It is a BIG bike, so I kind of leaned away from getting, but an ex-coworker got one this weekend, so I'll find out what he thinks about it with more seat time.

-SDF

LauraQ 05-05-2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalldisplacementfreak (Post 98018)
I agree when I test rode it the sales person started off talking about the weight. Granted it is heavy, that is why it feels so stable, outside of two front wheels. It is a BIG bike, so I kind of leaned away from getting, but an ex-coworker got one this weekend, so I'll find out what he thinks about it with more seat time.

-SDF

Please do let us know what he says about it. Even though it's too much for me, I still think the MP3 is the coolest thing on three wheels!

smalldisplacementfreak 05-07-2008 11:49 AM

Mp3 500

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Quarantiello (Post 98064)
Please do let us know what he says about it. Even though it's too much for me, I still think the MP3 is the coolest thing on three wheels!

This is my friends response...enjoy! Makes me really want to get one, but I can't seem to justify $10000.00!!!

I rode it around my "gravel" drive on Sunday and took it out last night for about 30 miles. It never slipped on my gravel and it corners just like the web pictures....awesome!!!!! The heavy frontend takes a little getting used to but a few more miles should do it. The best way to lock up the front is to first stop having your feet down and then lock it up. I found out if you lock it to soon it will radically turn to the left or right and the rider could move into a stopped vehicle. I found the only BAD feature is the dealer only supplies one ignition Master key and one standard key with the chip in it. A button on the key allows the rider to electronically open the seat. I accidentally locked the key in Sunday and was real lucky to retrieve it. I'm going to the dealer today to order another key.

arosmith 11-10-2011 10:20 PM

Re: 3 Wheel Scooter...Piaggio

Where can i get scooters on rent I heard that 3 wheel scooter is fun actually once I took a drive of 3 wheel scooter of about 50 km and I rode it too for few miles. So, I want to feel that moment again. Can anyone help me here?

slurp812 06-25-2012 02:58 PM

Re: 3 Wheel Scooter...Piaggio

Seems gimmicky to me. For that $$$ you could get a sweet 250cc super motard.