Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   speedometer issue (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/speedometer-issue-8167.html)

vxdude 04-27-2008 03:58 PM

speedometer issue

My speedometer is off by 5mph, what is the easiest way to fix this problem, I have a VX.

Danronian 04-27-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vxdude (Post 97061)
My speedometer is off by 5mph, what is the easiest way to fix this problem, I have a VX.

Get the correct sized tires.

On a VX, I don't know of any other way to adjust the speedo.

GasSavers_Ryland 04-28-2008 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure that the vx has a different vehicle speed sensor then the rest of the models.
5mph is alot if you are only going 10mph, not that much if you are going 85mph, but because it's off by 5mph and not a percentage it makes figuring out your real speed really easy.

Danronian 04-29-2008 06:08 AM

That's true. The VSS might be different in the vx and cx trans compared to the others since it does have a different final drive (ring gear).

A way to tell would be to go onto majestic Honda's online parts store and compare part numbers between the ex/ cx and vx/ dx trannies. If they're different, that could be your issue. One thing I've noticed is that some civic trans have a plastic gear and some have a metal one (not sure which model trannies they came out of, or the years, both could have something to do with the difference). I KNOW the VX trans I have came from the factory with the plastic one.

1993CivicVX 04-29-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vxdude (Post 97061)

Have you verified that it's off by 5mph and not by ~10%?

VetteOwner 04-29-2008 07:11 PM

ye ahow did you determine it was off by 5?

only real ways to determine is to drive at a VERY constant speed alogn the interstate and count mile markers, OR use a GPS.

kamesama980 05-01-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 97391)
ye ahow did you determine it was off by 5?

only real ways to determine is to drive at a VERY constant speed alogn the interstate and count mile markers, OR use a GPS.

agreed. about the only way to get a consistent 5mph off across the board is to have the needle on the spindle wrong which is very hard to botch up. being off by a % is almost certain with any car. I've seen cars off the lot be out up to 3 or 4%. the easiest way to fix it would be to go up or down one size in either sidewall or section width

Danronian 05-03-2008 09:38 AM

On my one car I had, the previous owner had installed and then improperly removed white gauge overlays and really messed with the readings of all of the needles... The gas gauge was so off. If you were at 1/4 left, it was empty. I was always scared to run it past 1/2 so I would just fill up all the time. Thankfully I later bought a different cluster and then everything read A.OK.

Good luck with this mystery of yours.