Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Opinions: CRX HF, Honda Insight or Keep Suzuki Swift? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/opinions-crx-hf-honda-insight-or-keep-suzuki-swift-8179.html)

dunhamjr 04-28-2008 06:55 PM

Opinions: CRX HF, Honda Insight or Keep Suzuki Swift?

Ok so here is the deal. I have been thinking that I want to go crazy and get a super fuel efficient hypermiling car.

Both of these cars can get really good miles. Yes, the Insight is a Hybrid so it will get better mileage but with that you get more complexity, more expensive repairs and a much higher purchase price.

The 1988-1991 CRX HF should get about 50mpg fairly easily... and there is the potential to do a budget Civic VX engine swap and get into the 60mpg+ range. The purchase price would be about $3000.
https://hondaarabia.com/images/old_ca...ite_1988_2.jpg

The Honda Insight would be around 2000-2002 and should get about 63mpg. With additional driving efforts and patience people have been able to get lifetime MPG ratings into the 70-80mpg range. The Insight will probably cost $8500-9500.
https://www.engineering.sdstate.edu/~...ndaInsight.jpg

The other wrench in my decision. I recently bought a 1998 Suzuki Swift. Its the 1.3liter manual and is in pretty good shape. As far as a commuter goes its a pretty good car. My thing is that if I am going to have a commuter I would rather have it be a car I like visually more then I like the Swift. This car has been getting 40mpg with winter tires on winter fuel... I just ordered up a set of LRR 13's that will go on the car and I hope will get me up to 45mpg.
https://www.teamswift.net/gallery/ima...image_id=13017

Also FYI...
The Insight at 62.5mpg will save me $650/yr over the Swift at 40mpg.
The CRX HF at 50mpg will save me at least $220/yr over the Swift at 40mpg.

There are 3 CRX HF's that I have my eye on between $2200-$3200...
I have seen one, very very clean but $3200.
One needs body work at $2200.
One unfortunately has a d16 engine swap, but that will just speed along the VX engine swap ... for $2900
All prices before trying to 'deal'.

GasSavers_JoeBob 04-28-2008 07:33 PM

Since you are not likely to make back your money compared to what you have now, which one do you WANT?

dunhamjr 04-28-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBob (Post 97200)
Since you are not likely to make back your money compared to what you have now, which one do you WANT?

I am in a toss up right now. I like the Insight and the temptation of hitting 60mpg or more is big. The Insight has strong pull since gas prices keep going up. Who knows when they will stop and having a 60+mpg machine when gas hits like $10/gal will be saviour. But I think that the CRX HF is probably a better choice since it will get very good mileage 50+ and be fairly cheap to buy in comparison to the Insight.

I like the Swift I am driving now... but it just feels a bit weird. I come from Honda and VW background, so driving a Metro clone has a bit of a stigma.

As I mentioned, there are three CRX HF's in the area right now.

I have seen one, but he wants $3200 which is a bit high though that car is very very clean even with 180k miles.

I am looking at the d16 (ex engine) swapped CRX HF tomorrow $2900. If it still has the HF tranny and is in good shape, it could be a good candidate for swapping in a VX engine since some of the wiring will already be done and the EX engine can be sold.

The third CRX HF guy has not replied to my VM, so it might be sold... it is low miles 116k but needs body and paint work and is $2200.

2000mc 04-28-2008 07:47 PM

well put joebob and i think by his opening...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunhamjr (Post 97195)
Ok so here is the deal. I have been thinking that I want to go crazy and get a super fuel efficient hypermiling car.

i think he wants an insight, no reason to sell a 40mpg car for a 50mpg car when u want a 60+mpg car....

dunhamjr 04-28-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000mc (Post 97204)
i think he wants an insight, no reason to sell a 40mpg car for a 50mpg car when u want a 60+mpg car....

true... but going from 40mpg to 50mpg really is a good jump. especially when you go from a car you are ok with driving to a car you like.

sure, an Insight would be preferred because going from 40mpg to 60mpg is awesome, but that initial purchase price difference of about $3k for a 50mpg CRX HF vs. about $9k for a 60+mpg Insight is hard ignore.

At my current driving and gas prices, the Insight really would only save about $300/yr over the CRX HF. Of course if I start to drive more and/or gas prices go up, then the savings gets better...

McPatrick 04-28-2008 08:24 PM

We have a 1991 CRX HF with LRR tires (with 55 psi) on it (and only the driver seat in it)and I actually got exactly 60 mpg on a 440 mile trip. This did take going 57 mph (it's a pshychoogical thing that I cannot do 55), but at least it is reachable. This was still in colder weather too, so in the summer I can imagine breaking that 60 mpg barrier, at least on the highway.

So if gas prices skyrocket and you really need to go 60 mpg it is doable with a CRX HF as well.

My Goal: 55MPG 04-28-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPatrick (Post 97213)
We have a 1991 CRX HF with LRR tires (with 55 psi) on it (and only the driver seat in it)and I actually got exactly 60 mpg on a 440 mile trip. This did take going 57 mph (it's a pshychoogical thing that I cannot do 55), but at least it is reachable. This was still in colder weather too, so in the summer I can imagine breaking that 60 mpg barrier, at least on the highway.

So if gas prices skyrocket and you really need to go 60 mpg it is doable with a CRX HF as well.

I recently purchased a 1990 CRX HF. Hands down for the money spent, I would buy 2 more bone stock CRX,s.
They handle great, look sporty, enough leg room and a attainable 60 MPG with some mods.
Bet?cha can?t take corners at 40 in a Insight?..

GasSavers_JoeBob 04-28-2008 08:49 PM

If you do a lot of driving, get the one you are sure you will be comfortable in. All will get good mileage, and driven gently will get great mileage, and should hold up well. Remember that you need to maintain the batteries in the hybrid. That may be an extra expense, especially in a used one. That being said, if I had the money I'd go with the Insight, but I'd want to try one out for a day or so first. You may find that one of these cars just doesn't fit you well at all...which could be a problem on a long drive. You might find that what you have fits you a lot better (or not). Of course, my very limited experience with Hondas indicated that, at least for me (6', 200 lbs, old guy) they have been pretty comfortable cars. My Metro (just like your Swift) is pretty good too.

dunhamjr 04-28-2008 10:16 PM

I dont think comfort will be a problem in any of the cars. I am fine in the Swift and I have had an 89 CRX Si in the past so the seats, entry and all that of the CRX HF will be fine. If not, I have a spare set of Del Sol buckets in the garage ready to go into the HF. As for the Insight, it looks like it has the same layout and seating room as a CRX... so I am sure it would be fine as well.

At this time though, I think that I am leaning away from the Insight just because of the buy in. I had a line on one for about $9k with 107k miles and the batterys/ima had been warrenty replaced. It sold this evening and the other local (within 500 miles) examples are listed at $10k, $14.9k and $16.9k. Just comparing that to the CRX HF's all at $3200 and under with a possibility of 60mpg, seems like the HF is the way to go for now... OR to keep the Swift if I can't strike a deal to buy one of the HF's.

101mpg 04-29-2008 03:53 AM

Get the HF. Here's the deal - the parts for the HF will be a TON cheaper than the Insight. You can get stuff out of a Civic, not just a CRX, for the most part, as it's a Civic platform. Used parts will be plentiful, new parts will be cheaper than the Insight.

The Insight is actually a hand-built car and no two are exactly alike, although the coolness factor is good. The del Sol buckets will fit, too, won't fit into the Insight as easy.

CRX HF has more interior room than the Insight does. Having test driven an Insight I would take the CRX hands down any day.

Your MPG gains will be more than offset with higher repair bills if you get the Insight. Get the HF.