Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Running Gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Adjusting the kickdown cable (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/adjusting-the-kickdown-cable-8328.html)

theholycow 05-11-2008 04:21 AM

Adjusting the kickdown cable

I found this recently but I don't think I posted it here, and I don't think I've seen it here:
https://autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=1304
That article describes adjusting the cable that goes from the throttle body to the transmission so that it will more readily downshift when you step on the gas pedal. However, if you adjust it in the other direction, you should be able to use wider throttle openings (for reduced pumping losses) without your transmission downshifting.

Can this help anyone here? I am pretty sure my truck doesn't have that cable and is entirely electronic.

kamesama980 05-11-2008 01:32 PM

the trans on the lexus in the article is the same A340LE 4 speed overdrive as came on my cressida and he didn't actually change the shift points. the kickdown cable for them is NOT a kickdown cable but a line-pressure control cable. shift points on it ARE controlled electronically. how do I know? I did the same thing to my transmission. the shift points did not change, the shift firmness did change... high throttle gets more pressure for firm shifts, low throttle gets less pressure for luxury shifts. I just shifted the whole scale a little more sporty.

what the 'kickdown' cable does depends on the age and automaker. only in old mechanical/hydraulic only trannies does it affect the shift points. chevy (and most automakers) uses all-electric control from ODBII (and some earlier) on. The only way to adjust your shift points on an 02 chevy is by reprogramming the PCM.

CryingStreetRacer 05-19-2008 10:33 AM

Question: I've been putting my volvo 960 engine in neutral when coasting level, after lightly accelerating downhill. This works great, but unless I am coasting to a stop, this isn't good in terms of going back to drive. I was wondering if I could use a program on a laptop plugged into the car(somewhere) to program the ecu to rev the engine to precisely the right range to shift back into drive flawlessly: all done automaticly when I shift to drive again.

For example: in my car, under 20mph I can shift in and out of neutral without any vibrations, bad sounds ect. Above 20 I need to rev to 1250-1500 rpms to smoothly shift back. about 30 I need to go from 1500-1750 ect ect. I get tired of this, and would like the ecu or something to do this automaticly. How could I achieve this?

Btw, I am not half bad when it comes to coding so I just need to know where to start.

theholycow 05-19-2008 11:46 AM

I'd ask on Volvo forums if there are any custom programming solutions. I doubt there are any that are cost-effective. Your 1996 Volvo does at least use OBD2. If you did do it, I can imagine it taking an extra second or two.

Why not just rev-match it yourself? It will be good practice for if you ever get a manual transmission. I don't have to rev-match in my truck at any speed (at least up to 70 mph, the highest I tried) but I do anyway, just because I'm impatient to get back on the gas.

mkiVX 05-20-2008 02:35 PM

Well
my 99 auto ex civic seems to be rev happy
how would i adjust that. it seems to want to down shift very easily
i hate it because my scanguageII shows me loss of mpg

kamesama980 05-20-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkiVX (Post 101075)
Well
my 99 auto ex civic seems to be rev happy
how would i adjust that. it seems to want to down shift very easily
i hate it because my scanguageII shows me loss of mpg

PCM reprogram (changes trans shift points) or just get rid of the autotragic slushbox

I don't know how to fix all y'alls cars, I just know the mod he did isn't what he thinks/says it is because I have the same transmission.

Hoopster 07-22-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamesama980 (Post 99178)
the trans on the lexus in the article is the same A340LE 4 speed overdrive as came on my cressida and he didn't actually change the shift points. the kickdown cable for them is NOT a kickdown cable but a line-pressure control cable. shift points on it ARE controlled electronically. how do I know? I did the same thing to my transmission. the shift points did not change, the shift firmness did change... high throttle gets more pressure for firm shifts, low throttle gets less pressure for luxury shifts. I just shifted the whole scale a little more sporty.

what the 'kickdown' cable does depends on the age and automaker. only in old mechanical/hydraulic only trannies does it affect the shift points. chevy (and most automakers) uses all-electric control from ODBII (and some earlier) on. The only way to adjust your shift points on an 02 chevy is by reprogramming the PCM.

Anyone have more insight into this topic? I'm mostly interested in shift firmness, not shift points. My Hyundai shifts ultra smooth and soft which is probably hurting my mpg.