Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Anybody here owns a Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/anybody-here-owns-a-yamaha-vino-125-scooter-8375.html)

jfman 05-13-2008 01:30 PM

Anybody here owns a Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter?

I'm thinking about buying one. I wonder how much pep they have and if they are reliable. Also what's the top speed and what kind of cruising speed I can do w/o having to go balls to the wall.

Yamaha claims 96mpg. Any truth in that?

smalldisplacementfreak 05-14-2008 06:14 PM

I have one and I like it after coming from 250cc motorcycles. I think it is a good trade-off. The power is there, but it is still a 125 and the mileage is close to 100mpg, but it all depends on how you ride. I've taken it up to 60mph with a slight downhill and tucking in.

There are some mods that can be done to make it both accelerate better and achieve a higher top speed.

-SDF

jfman 05-14-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalldisplacementfreak (Post 99865)
I have one and I like it after coming from 250cc motorcycles. I think it is a good trade-off. The power is there, but it is still a 125 and the mileage is close to 100mpg, but it all depends on how you ride. I've taken it up to 60mph with a slight downhill and tucking in.

There are some mods that can be done to make it both accelerate better and achieve a higher top speed.

-SDF

So top speed is only around 50mph?

What's you biggest complaint about it?

smalldisplacementfreak 05-15-2008 10:54 AM

Top speed is more like 55mph, but there are some situations where you may go faster or slower. But if you're worried about top speed, then you should perhaps look into something with larger displacement.

The 125 is very suitable to street riding where speeds are around 40 to 45 mph.

I don't have any real complaints about it. I really like it and like you, did my homework before I bought it. If you go bigger, then cost goes higher.

jfman 05-15-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalldisplacementfreak (Post 100009)
Top speed is more like 55mph, but there are some situations where you may go faster or slower. But if you're worried about top speed, then you should perhaps look into something with larger displacement.

The 125 is very suitable to street riding where speeds are around 40 to 45 mph.

I don't have any real complaints about it. I really like it and like you, did my homework before I bought it. If you go bigger, then cost goes higher.

Well I want a small scooter. I dont want anything that is heavy. I used to have a suzuki 50cc and I would like to keep it around that size but with more power if possible.

smalldisplacementfreak 05-16-2008 10:12 AM

I think the 125 is more than enough. Again, there are very slight modifications that you can do to give it more acceleration and top speed. A new variator from Polini or Athena and slider weights. However, you'll have to spend a little bit of time to tune it to your liking. www.provoscooter.com

Have fun!

-SDF

DarbyWalters 05-19-2008 09:09 AM

I tried an Agility 125cc and a Lambretta UNO150cc...the 150cc had much better pickup and top speed. I you want to get on the highway you will need the 150cc IMO. I know highway is not on your mind but sometimes it is much easier to use a small bit of expressway to make your trip. I weight 230# and can go 60-65 all day long. If I stayed at street speeds, 40-45mph or so, I could probably get 80+mpg. As it is I get 72mpg and am very pleased.

When you test ride one, remember most speedos are very optimistic. You are usually going 10-15% slower than indicated. If you can test ride with someone, take a 125cc and a 150cc and switch back and forth a bit. That is what made up my mind.

randyw36 06-11-2008 12:13 PM

Great Scooter!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 99621)
I'm thinking about buying one. I wonder how much pep they have and if they are reliable. Also what's the top speed and what kind of cruising speed I can do w/o having to go balls to the wall.

Yamaha claims 96mpg. Any truth in that?

I've had mine for just a couple of weeks. I'm getting about 80 mpg on it, but I drive a lot at 55-60 mph. I know one owner who says he's had it up to 70 mph and even though its top speed is 80 mph, I'm not sure I'd ever drive it that hard. The Vino 125 has a lot of pep. It doesn't handle like a scooter at all. It accelerates very smoothly and quickly allowing me to keep up with traffic with ease. The SUV now sits in the garage waiting for its chance to tow my camper on weekend trips and the Vino has become my primary vehicle to work and for "running around town" as long as I don't need to do a lot of shopping.

The seat storage is big enough to hold my full size helmet, but if you're shopping it also has a helmet lock on it that allows you leave your helmet out of the seat storage but locks it in place when the seat is locked down to prevent someone from walking off with it.

The controls are intuitive. After just a couple of blocks of driving it, it's easy to use the turn signal button and the horn without looking down. The mirrors are also excellent, but I added small blind spot mirrors for extra safety.

Going up a hill is no problem for the Vino and I can maintain 55 mph going up the steepest hill. Granted, I live in Illinois and our idea of a hill may be different than yours since the entire state is flat as a pancake! ;)

It's very comfortable to ride. The handlebars are at the right distance from the seat and the seat is also quite comfortable. There's plenty of room for your feet.

All in all, if you're going to buy a scooter...go for this one! I've ridden several scooters since 1980 and I didn't think anything could top the Vespa I had in Europe.

jfman 06-11-2008 05:22 PM

Nice thanks for the review.

easy al 07-02-2008 12:07 PM

I just bought one three weeks ago. I have been breaking it in, but I have also reached 45 mph easily and up a small grade at that. I am getting 90 mpg, but it should improve as the bike breaks in. The roadways here in San Jose are pretty flat and level which makes for a great ride.