Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   mileage took a dive (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/mileage-took-a-dive-8376.html)

Hateful 05-13-2008 01:32 PM

mileage took a dive

I thought I was doing so much better as my ScanGauge read 37mpg for this last tank and also showed that I used 12 gallons. I went to the station and pumped really slowly as I had read about here. To my surprise, it took 13.28 gallons to refill my take and knocked my mileage below 34mpg. Something is wrong; time will tell. I've used 1/4 tank since then only getting 33mpg.

kamesama980 05-13-2008 01:45 PM

um... oh no? just gonna complain or got some ideas about why?

theholycow 05-13-2008 02:31 PM

If you pumped slower than usual, you pumped fuller than usual. Slower pumping is like topping off.

Hateful 05-13-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 99639)
If you pumped slower than usual, you pumped fuller than usual. Slower pumping is like topping off.

This is what I hope happened. I've never gotten over 13 gallons into the tank on a refill before.I looked up the tank size and it's 14.1 gallons; all those times I worried about running out for nothing. The only different thing I did this tank was more pulse and glide,which I thought helped. I just got 38mpg coming back from the grocery store( per ScanGauge). We have had some wind and rain lately and I did have to go into some shopping mall parking. That could account for the bad mileage on this tank so far.

Hateful 05-23-2008 10:43 AM

Looks like it was the slow pumping top off that threw the mileage off. I topped it off again at about the same miles and got 35.8mpg; about what I had been getting recently. The ScanGauge was off again, but in the opposite direction; showing 32.9mpg. I'll have to keep on topping off to keep my gas log correct.

JESSE69 05-23-2008 10:56 AM

Sometimes I think the Chevron station I fill up at changed their calibration and charge me more for less gas!

Hateful 05-23-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JESSE69 (Post 101799)
Sometimes I think the Chevron station I fill up at changed their calibration and charge me more for less gas!

I usually run my tank pretty low,so if it ever goes over 14.1gallons. I'm calling the Dept of Agriculture division of weights and measures.

waddie 05-23-2008 11:25 AM

I filled a 5 gallon gas can for the mower at the local country station a few years ago and they tried to charge me for 8 gallons. The pumps were WAY off.

1cheap1 05-23-2008 10:32 PM

Since i started a log on this web site and read others logs it seems the mpg will go up and down some what until we post many tanks to get a good average.

1993CivicVX 05-23-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JESSE69 (Post 101799)

I had this suspicion once of a Cumberland gas station (I believe it's Gulf gas) I was so sure of it in fact, that I got a gas can and filled it up to the 5 gallon mark and logged how many gallons it took (about 5 gallons) and then emptied the gas into my car and did the same thing at the station across the street, filling the gas can up to 5 gallons again which was also a very similar number. So, to my disappointment, I had to drop that hypothesis.