Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Hyundai Accent optimal highway speed (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/hyundai-accent-optimal-highway-speed-8401.html)

Kuripot 05-14-2008 12:31 PM

Hyundai Accent optimal highway speed

I've got a 2008 Hyundai Accent with manual 5 speed tranny. Does anyone know what the optimal highway speed for the best MPG is? I'm talking interstate where the average speed is about 70-75 MPH. I guess the minimum I'm willing to drive is 60 MPH so as not to get run over. Is anyone familiar with this vehicle and the gear ratios/ horsepower/ drag etc.?

Thanks for any help,
Kevin

EH3 05-14-2008 12:48 PM

most modern vehicles do pretty good at 70mph. obviously, 60 is going to be better but depending on how thick traffic is, 60 may not be an option. less than 60 is not smart unless you can safely draft a semi or something.

mkiVX 05-14-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EH3 (Post 99819)
most modern vehicles do pretty good at 70mph. obviously, 60 is going to be better but depending on how thick traffic is, 60 may not be an option. less than 60 is not smart unless you can safely draft a semi or something.

great answer
I must agree.....
just be safe out there

jadziasman 05-14-2008 02:09 PM

OTOH, if more drivers choose to drive 60 mph it eventually will slow the traffic flow.

I just started to drive 62 mph this week for my 28 mile commute to work.

Call me a pioneer or call me a fool, but don't call me someone who pays too much for the newly precious liquid gold the vast majority of us are forced to buy no matter how much it costs!

GasSavers_ColonelPanic 05-14-2008 06:09 PM

Cool, another Accent owner. :) I've got a 2006, but it's an automatic.

The Accents are a bit funny with their gearing. The 5-speed manual is geared more toward city driving, once you get it on the highway the revs cimb pretty high especially at higher speeds. I haven't driven a manual but the general consensus from discussions I've seen online seems to be around 3500 RPM at 70 MPH.

Meanwhile, the 4-speed automatic takes a hit around town but actually pulls lower RPM's when cruising on the highway than does the manual. At 70 MPH with my automatic, I'm pulling 2897 RPM per the ScanGauge.

Mine is especially happy between 45-55 MPH so I usually hang out around 50 MPH in the 55 zones. I can easily hit 38-45 MPG (per the SG's current trip mpg reading) on my 16 mile commute at those speeds using DWL and a lot of coasting in gear. I'll also go 5 under on higher speed highways (65 or 70) depending on how busy the road is as to not get ran over. The car drinks heavily at slower speeds around town. :(

I'm not sure what speed would be best for your manual Accent... Since the revs get kinda high, too much over 60-65 might bring the FE down. A 6th gear would be really beneficial to the manual models.

GasSavers_ALS 05-14-2008 06:17 PM

I pretty much settled on 65 mph. Fast enough to get you there in short enough time and slow enough to get you decent fuel economy.
You may find with fuel running close $4.00 a gallon that traffic around your is running similar speeds or slower.