Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Jetta vs. Jetta TDI (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/jetta-vs-jetta-tdi-841.html)

pb 04-06-2009 02:08 AM

Jetta vs. Jetta TDI

We have two branches of VW Jettas in our system: the standard Jetta and the diesel Jetta, Jetta TDI. We're wondering if we should combine them into one model.

We built Fuelly to be flexible, allowing people to enter a custom model if it wasn't already in our system. That means people can split models out into a separate branch if they want, and that's exactly what happened with the Jetta TDI.

No other vehicles have split into separate models based on fuel type, and we're wondering if it'd be more useful to combine the diesel Jettas with the regular Jettas for comparisons between the two. We have tools to filter by fuel-type on the model pages, so you could still isolate the Jetta TDIs if you want to look at stats for them alone.

So what would be more useful to you? Combine the Jettas into a single category like every other vehicle, or continue with the separate branch?

VWJunky 04-06-2009 02:12 AM

separate branch is what I vote for. TDI people are a bit more crazy with there milage. I really don't look at what gas Jettas do. I only care about the TDI's.

BasqueRedLXP 04-06-2009 02:29 AM

The vehicles should be split into distinct classes.

StealthTDI 04-06-2009 02:40 AM

I don't see the point except to give us an "exclusive" TDI club, albeit leaving out the TDI versions of the Golf, NB, and Passat. The Golfs, NBs, and Passats aren't split. The V6 and V8 versions of the Mustang and other cars aren't split. Come to think of it, the models with hybrids in their line-up aren't split, either.

Even with us split up, there are still TDI owners listed in the "regular" Jetta section. Why not just merge us? It's not like we won't be able to tell who the TDI owners are when the graph shows mileage spikes between 40-60mpg! ;)

kcfoxie 04-06-2009 03:06 AM

The Jetta is the most sold VW model since 1985. All other motors are, frankly, inferior to the diesel. There has historically only been one diesel model available (enginewise, there have been two different 2.0L engines available in Jetta from 1991-1998, as an example).

I think that breaking vehicles down by fuel type makes far more sense. Hybrids should be kept in their own category, regardless of model (camry Hybrid should be kept seprate from Camry nonhybrid, etc), Diesels should be kept in their own class, and gas vehicles in their own.

This provides people the ability to look at which fuel and/or assistive technology is more beneficial to their needs (if they're viewing the data researching a car buying decision).

The TDI should be its own category, the models available should fall under it. The same should be done for Hybrids.

Keep them separate.

StealthTDI 04-06-2009 03:50 AM

Foxie,

Not to toss stones, but you're one of the ~45 TDI's listed under "Jetta" instead of "Jetta TDI." One way or another, we'd like to get us all together. I have no beef with either decision. :)

Scott

jhu 04-06-2009 03:57 AM

I don't think it matters. The shape of the fuel economy curve for Jettas has two peaks so i guess it's pretty easy to tell generally which ones are gasoline and which ones are diesel, although there's a recent TDI in there getting 30 mpg (how do you get that low on a diesel?).

coolbreeze 04-06-2009 08:04 AM

look at the gas engine jetta section. there are over 35 diesels in it. it is already diluted and is serving no purpose.will we seperate cr diesels from pd's? non turbo diesels from turbo?please make it one.

Furrner 04-06-2009 06:45 PM

I vote for merging them. The filter option is there if people want to see just the TDIs.

fitzski 04-06-2009 08:51 PM

They should absolutely be combined into one - there is NO reason for there to be a separate "Jetta TDI" category. If all you want is to see the Jetta diesels, then YOU CAN STILL DO THAT WITH THE FILTER FUNCTION. Ta da:

https://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta/diesel%20l4

Providing two options is giving the exact opposite of the intended result. Instead of having all Jetta TDI's together and getting an accurate representation of just one model, they are split across two groups (currently 38 diesels under the "Jetta" category and currently 10 gassers under the "Jetta TDI" category), and so the data is being contaminated.

Further, it seems that the EPA data is only associated with the "Jetta" option, and not the custom "Jetta TDI" option, so users opting for the latter don't get that feature.

Creating the Jetta TDI category was a mistake - especially w/o removing the Diesel engine option from the principle "Jetta" category, or the Gas option from the "Jetta TDI" category.

I see absolutely no good reason to keep them separate - move all "Jetta TDI" diesels to the Diesel L4 option under "Jetta" and Keep It Simple.

Thx.