Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   odd test results (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/odd-test-results-8443.html)

kitcar 05-16-2008 01:20 PM

odd test results

I had an idea last night that involved several adult beverages and the combination of two additives that I've been playing with for an episode of my video show.

The results that I got were unexpected.

Here's the vehicle; 2000 Dodge Dakota, 4.7L H.O., 5 speed manual, 3.55:1 limited slip rear axle, towing package, air dam, side skirts, bed cover. Airraid filter, Mobile 1 oil, hyper mileage driving techniques (short shifting, clutch in down hills, light pedal pressure, fillups at same pump at same station, mileage checked through stock computer and manual figuring). Please note that the crankcase oil is very due for a change - typically I gain another 1-2 mpg with fresh oil.

Without any additives, just the air dam, etc., regular gas, Mobile One oil we're getting 18.7 to 19.2 mpg. With additive 1, mileage is 20.8 to 21.5. With additive 2, mileage is 20.7 to 20.9. The test course is 7.2 miles (city) all on open loop (not long enough to get to closed loop) The highway loop is 12.8 miles, closed loop. This is the breakdown:

Additive 1:

City: 20.5 to 20.9 (7 stops, speeds from 25 mph to 55 mph)
Highway: 21.2 to 21.5

Additive 2:

City: 19.9 to 20.5 (7 stops, speeds from 25 mph to 55 mph)
Highway: 20.2 to 20.8

So I think to my self after the application of adult beverages that I should try combining them. I measured them out, combined them (resulting in a milky white fizzy mixture) and poured them on in.

Today, the results are as follows:

Combined additives:

City: 25.8 (7 stops, speeds from 25 mph to 55 mph). This is the highest result I've ever achieved.
Highway: 24.7

I'm flummoxed at this point. These two chemicals added together amount to nothing more than they do separately. In other words, they are not additive in nature. I'm not sure that using this mixture long term will not harm the fuel system, like clogging the injectors or harming the fuel pump but it's a weird result I thought I'd share and see if anyone would like to attempt to replicate.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 05-16-2008 03:20 PM

How are you sure they're not additive? For instance, some metallic compounds will catalyse some alcoholic or organic solvent compounds.

DRW 05-16-2008 08:15 PM

I'm not sure if being inebriated is the best way to conduct an experiment. You might overlook something like accounting for the volume of the additives in the fillup.

1993CivicVX 05-16-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 100336)
Lots of things seem like good ideas when you're wasted.

drinking another beer always seems like a good idea when you're wasted.

theholycow 05-17-2008 05:10 AM

What are the additives?

kitcar 05-17-2008 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 100360)
What are the additives?

At this point I'd rather not say until I put at least one tank through the system. The mixture smelled God awful. All I'll say is that one was the Acetone. I played with that deal until I settled in on 4oz per 20 gallons of Meijer gas and 7.5 oz per 20 gallons of Marathon gas, the two brands I buy. Note to self: Don't forget this is the summer formulation, not the winter! Research additives in the base stock.

Also, it could be that they are additive/reactive, especially when mixed with a hydrocarbon chain.

Seriously, I wasn't entirely wasted; after all, I was able to see the markings on the measuring cup without closing one eye, a sure indicator of sobriety.

The combination was 4 oz of one additive and 2 oz of the second. I'm going out later today to run through a 10 mile loop (if my fuel system hasn't dissolved into a mass of goo). My first order of business was to double check what the overhead was telling me about the mileage - it's spot on still. Engine temp. is running slightly cooler (10 degrees). Photos to follow.

kitcar 05-17-2008 07:06 AM

Just to double check what I'm seeing, with the tank 6 gallons down, I topped up with Meijers gas this morning while out and about without adding anything else.

Before fill: 25.7 avg.
After 6.1 gallons to fill: 22.4 avg.

Since I have to go out again in an hour (I need a fill shot of a warning siren going off) I'm going to add the appropriate amount of the concoction.

GasSavers_SD26 05-17-2008 07:10 AM

Do you have mandated ethanol or RFG in your area?

DRW 05-18-2008 06:38 PM

This sounds promising. Please fill us in on the concoction when it's finalized.
Or if you need beta testers.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 05-19-2008 12:38 PM

Well acetone probably helps mothballs dissolve better.... and probably helps with stuff like butyl stearate which has a higher melting point.