Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Question about a fuel injector controller... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/question-about-a-fuel-injector-controller-8557.html)

Powerstroke IN 05-22-2008 04:37 PM

Question about a fuel injector controller...

I'm about to order a product that suposedly fools your fuel injection into thinking that it needs to operate at maximum pressure at all times as if the throttle were wide open. The same amount of fuel is injected, but at hundreds more PSI. They claim a power gain of 50-100 HP and an economy improvement of 30-50% simply because of better fuel atomization. Is it reasonable to believe it? It makes sense to me with my limited knowlege of fuel injection systems. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Drew

fumesucker 05-22-2008 05:50 PM

I don't see how economy gains of 30% or more could be possible in a modern diesel, the engineers have fought for every percentage point that's there now.

A turbodiesel is pushing the Carnot limit fairly hard already.

Not saying it's impossible but IMO unlikely.

Got a link?

Powerstroke IN 05-22-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fumesucker (Post 101647)
I don't see how economy gains of 30% or more could be possible in a modern diesel, the engineers have fought for every percentage point that's there now.

A turbodiesel is pushing the Carnot limit fairly hard already.

Not saying it's impossible but IMO unlikely.

Got a link?

I'm gonna have to get back to you with the link. It's in a post on the dieselstop.com and I cant find it. It is entirely possible that I am misquoting it from faulty memory. The computer that had it in it's favorites had to be put to sleep. Give me a day or so.

Powerstroke IN 05-22-2008 06:46 PM

https://www.usdieselchips.com/

My memory was faulty after all. 15% increase still seems awfully incredible...

GasSavers_Pete 05-22-2008 07:05 PM

Given companies like Delco , Bosch and Delphi have immense resources to allocate to researching these sorts of solutions on behalf of GM , Ford and so on it seems unlikely they would have overlooked such a simple fix.

Given the level of competition in the market a 15% improvement in FE would be well worth having.

Pete.

Powerstroke IN 05-22-2008 08:06 PM

Agreed. But judging by what I've seen my diesel do in the past, 15% doesn't seem too rediculous. From 22 to 25 MPG in my case. The 18K resistor i put in myself one weekend gave me 4 MPG. And that was with a $10 resistor and two $15 wiring harnesses from a salvage yard to make a pigtail. It seems diesels can perform miracles.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 05-23-2008 05:24 AM

When we talk of diesel efficiency, we're talking of efficiency at maximum power output... when the injectors are spraying at high pressure. So you've got a really good diesel, 45% efficient at maximum power output... however, although diesels don't have the same pumping loss issues as gasoline motors due to not having a throttle plate, we might expect efficiency at lower RPM to not be as good as at peak output. Therefore boosting the efficiency of atomisation at lower demand rates may well increase efficiency at the low end substantially. Going from 30% to 45% efficiency would be a 50% efficiency boost, while being only a 15% improvement in overall efficiency, so watch how things like this are worded.

Now, when I follow big trucks, buses, some "turned up" diesel pickups etc, I notice that if they blow black smoke, they usually do so at low RPM, they kick out a puff, and then clean up as the RPMs climb, then they're in the next gear and there's a puff of black smoke again... this says to me that there's a lot of fuel not burning at lower RPM, better atomisation could fix that. Although the excess air means that there's a lot of available oxygen, it also cools the charge off a lot when there's only small amounts of fuel making heat.

Powerstroke IN 05-23-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior (Post 101727)
When we talk of diesel efficiency, we're talking of efficiency at maximum power output... when the injectors are spraying at high pressure. So you've got a really good diesel, 45% efficient at maximum power output... however, although diesels don't have the same pumping loss issues as gasoline motors due to not having a throttle plate, we might expect efficiency at lower RPM to not be as good as at peak output. Therefore boosting the efficiency of atomisation at lower demand rates may well increase efficiency at the low end substantially. Going from 30% to 45% efficiency would be a 50% efficiency boost, while being only a 15% improvement in overall efficiency, so watch how things like this are worded.

Now, when I follow big trucks, buses, some "turned up" diesel pickups etc, I notice that if they blow black smoke, they usually do so at low RPM, they kick out a puff, and then clean up as the RPMs climb, then they're in the next gear and there's a puff of black smoke again... this says to me that there's a lot of fuel not burning at lower RPM, better atomisation could fix that. Although the excess air means that there's a lot of available oxygen, it also cools the charge off a lot when there's only small amounts of fuel making heat.

Makes perfect sense to me. A more atomized fuel burning more completely when there's less heat. And the key selling point of 70 more hp and 160 more lb/ft. I'm sold.