Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Diesels (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Injector module question (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/injector-module-question-8561.html)

Powerstroke IN 05-22-2008 05:48 PM

Injector module question

I'm about to order a product that suposedly fools your fuel injection into thinking that it needs to operate at maximum pressure at all times as if the throttle were wide open. The same amount of fuel is injected, but at hundreds more PSI. They claim a power gain of 50-100 HP and an economy improvement of 30-50% simply because of better fuel atomization. Is it reasonable to believe it? It makes sense to me with my limited knowlege of fuel injection systems. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Drew

Sludgy 05-23-2008 05:30 AM

I've tried a Granatelli Mileage Miser module, a Superchips Tuner, and a Striker module on my 6.0 PSD.

The Granatelli module made the truck run like a POS, and the mileage got worse by 1-2 mpg.

The Superchips tuner made the truck a lot more responsive, but mileage got worse. It never wanted to upshift. It made the truck very fast, but sucked diesel.

The Striker module raises fuel pressure like you asked. This module helped a tiny bit on mileage, and does cause the truck to upshift sooner. This should help mileage. But the city mileage improvenent is really hard to tell so far, at most 1-2%. Look at the last several entries in my gaslog.

I'm taking a long trip this weekend, with the module, a grille block and a bed cover, as before. I'll know whether the module helps highway mileage after this trip. I'm looking for 23 mpg.

Powerstroke IN 05-23-2008 11:17 AM

You should ditch the off the shelf modules and go with a custom tuned chip from DP Tuner or Tony Wildman. Iwent with DP and thei 80hp Economy tune made my 7.3 a monster, AND it took me from 11mpg city to 22 becase all of my seperate upgrades, the turbos, injectors and such, were all working together with a computer that utilized them. Of course FE goes down when I'm on the 140 hp setting, but I think thats because my foot's on the go button daring new girlfriends to touch the dash or showing that 'Vette in the next lane what's up.

awenthol 06-04-2008 06:42 AM

Yes a little pressure will help but not THAT much. The best bet for fuel mileage in a diesel is advanced injection timing. I'm not sure how strong the injectors on the PS's are but with Cummins, you can't run full pressure all the time because the injectors will crack or "wear down" faster...

GasSavers_SD26 06-04-2008 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerstroke IN (Post 101646)
I'm about to order a product that suposedly fools your fuel injection into thinking that it needs to operate at maximum pressure at all times as if the throttle were wide open. The same amount of fuel is injected, but at hundreds more PSI. They claim a power gain of 50-100 HP and an economy improvement of 30-50% simply because of better fuel atomization. Is it reasonable to believe it? It makes sense to me with my limited knowlege of fuel injection systems. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Drew

With over 600HP already, don't you already have an upgraded HPOP and things like that? Tuners usually increase the pressure also via the PCM route...fooled or told...similar things.

Powerstroke IN 06-04-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD26 (Post 103888)
With over 600HP already, don't you already have an upgraded HPOP and things like that? Tuners usually increase the pressure also via the PCM route...fooled or told...similar things.

I installed a dual HPOP kit, but anything to get higher injector pressure at idle is fine with me.

GasSavers_SD26 06-04-2008 05:20 PM

That's just a matter of shimming the FPR, isn't it? I put a BB in mine, and I think the pressure is a little over 70 at idle.