Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   my upcoming VW project - need help! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/my-upcoming-vw-project-need-help-8581.html)

bodhi_tree777 05-24-2008 06:49 AM

my upcoming VW project - need help!

Hello, I'm fairly new to this board but I've been reading it quite a bit over the last week or so. I currently drive an '03 Vibe GT and from what (limited) information I can glean from the two tanks I've tracked so far, my mileage is up a bit (not that mine or my wife's driving has been consistent over that week, but it's an improvement, anyway). Thanks for the info!

Now on to my question..we also own a 1990 VW Golf 4-dr hatchback, Wolfsburg, with about 175,000 miles on it. It's a 5 speed manual and, up to a year or so ago, ran great and was well maintained (in fact it was a demo car from my brother's custom audio shop in PA). Unfortunately, we put it on loan to my wife's aunt, and she apparantly really beat it up. From what I understand, it needs a new radiator, two door handles have been snapped off in the cold and it may need some brake work. The clutch might need some attention as well.

So now we have it back, and the way gas is going (up .25 in the last 5 days!?) I've decided to tackle this l'il guy as a project and bring it back up to speed, to get it to its' most effecient. Just thought I'd pose the question to you all to see what steps I might take, beyond the repairs needed, to really tweak it out. I've read the board and I have some ideas, I guess what I'm looking for is anyone with specific experience with these types of cars (VW MK2) who had some advice, or anything I should be concerned with or look out for. Any help would be much appreciated.

bodhi_tree777 05-24-2008 01:47 PM

Another question springs to mind..a scangauge will not work on a car this old, correct? What are my alternatives?

theholycow 05-24-2008 03:14 PM

Search the forums, there are quite a few threads about SG alternatives for pre-OBDII cars. There's one called something like "Realtime monitoring for Pre-OBDII cars", and various threads about "supermid".

bodhi_tree777 05-25-2008 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 102002)
Search the forums, there are quite a few threads about SG alternatives for pre-OBDII cars. There's one called something like "Realtime monitoring for Pre-OBDII cars", and various threads about "supermid".

:thumbup: beautiful, thanks!

BumblingB 05-25-2008 01:32 PM

I've got a diesel MK2 background but the body is the same. Radiator is an easy swap (1 hour tops once you're proficient) and the door handles are easily found pretty cheap as they are common to break.

I'd start out with the normal stuff as far as tuning it up. - Plugs, fuel filter etc. AND GET A BENTLEY! (repair manual)