Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   how i did it (Fuel heater) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/how-i-did-it-fuel-heater-8618.html)

chope 05-26-2008 06:40 PM

how i did it (Fuel heater)

make a 3/8 copper coil about 6 inches long and coil it around your radiator return line insulate it i used a beer coozie and metal tape and connect it to you gas line going to the injectors ..works best with fuel injection i got 62mpg in a 92 stealth r/t now everyone go save some gas if you get a huge increase like me you toss a dollar my way

aych 05-26-2008 09:42 PM

why would this improve mpg?

8307c4 05-26-2008 09:52 PM

I don't get it either, are you heating up your fuel or are you drawing antifreeze through your injectors?

chope 05-27-2008 02:13 AM

you are heating it up vaoprizing or expanding meanin all the fuel will be burnt just make a 3/8 copper coil around your hot radiator hose and connect the gas lines it IS that simple and you will see CRAZY improvments

chope 05-27-2008 02:23 AM

and if there are concerns about saftey let me add that on my first one i had a major leak that didnt cause a fire and on top of that i wrecked my stealth doing well over one hundred twenty mph..nothing happened..plus your only heating it up to your operating temp so if your radiator hose would bust if it got too hot thats an added saftey bonus all for the price of come 3/8 soft copper..im a plumber so i get mine for free :0l

R.I.D.E. 05-27-2008 03:46 AM

In theory preheating the fuel would allow for better atomization.

The problem with your claim, if I understand what you are claiming is the fuel flow through the system is high enough to move gallons of fuel per minute, and some heat is already transferred when the fuel passes through the engine compartment.

I have monitored this using a FULL tank of fuel and the temperature rise is significant.

The downside is IF you succeed in heating your fuel to 180 degrees the vapor will be inhaled through the evaoprative emissions system and fed to the engine through the purge vacuum line.

Dont think I want a tank of fuel at 180 degrees, but your experiment is interesting.

As far as the 65 MPG claim in a Dodge Stealth, I can get 70 in my 82 year old mothers Cadillac, GOING DOWNHILL.

regards
badger

Project84 05-27-2008 04:33 AM

they make magnetic block heaters, why not just slap one on your fuel tank and plug it in 30 minutes before your commute? Personally, I wouldn't worry much about it, but that would work TONS better than heating the small fuel line which R.I.D.E. having mentioned the flow through is fast enough that heating a portion of the line won't be very beneficial.

GasSavers_Ryland 05-27-2008 05:36 AM

That is going to make your entire tank of gas expand as well, altering the amount of gas you can ad when you fill up making your apparent mpg jump like crazy.
How many tanks of gas did you go through when you tried this?

chope 05-27-2008 02:03 PM

this technique has been tried on serveral vehichles my stealth got the most increase which i say was around 62 but in reality was more because i drove around my town a few times before i tripped my milage odometer..here is the list of vehicles that i have tried it on

late eighties nissan sentra - forty eight mpg
big chevy luxary van carburated 350 8cyl/- from 11 to 16
95 dodge work van from fifteen to thirty one mpg

you guys can speculate on this all you want it works i know it works and as for heating up the entire tank to 180 degrees i doubt that will happen its like an instant hot water heater it only heats the water up after in runs throug the coil if you put your hand ten feet back its not hot..and i ran that stealth for almost a year before i wrecked it with no problems and constant results.

i just wanted to help out the people that NEED to save gas by passing on the info that i KNOW.

dont speculate just try it and monitor it you wont regret it also i dont remeber all the cars and numbers but my stealth emmisions were better and i gained
4hp on the dyno and just about every car we tried doubled gas mileage except carburated motors.
we tried to figure out why my stealth got suck a high increase and we feel it was because of the injector size

dosco 05-27-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chope (Post 102480)
you guys can speculate on this all you want it works i know it works...i just wanted to help out the people that NEED to save gas by passing on the info that i KNOW.

The science behind this post ... simply awe-inspiring...

GasSavers_Binary 05-27-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chope (Post 102480)
this technique has been tried on serveral vehichles my stealth got the most increase which i say was around 62 but in reality was more because i drove around my town a few times before i tripped my milage odometer..here is the list of vehicles that i have tried it on

you guys can speculate on this all you want it works i know it works and as for heating up the entire tank to 180 degrees i doubt that will happen its like an instant hot water heater it only heats the water up after in runs throug the coil if you put your hand ten feet back its not hot..and i ran that stealth for almost a year before i wrecked it with no problems and constant results.

Then you should have constant data to back up this claim and not just one tank that was only partially monitored, right?

slurp812 05-27-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chope (Post 102371)
you are heating it up vaoprizing or expanding meanin all the fuel will be burnt just make a 3/8 copper coil around your hot radiator hose and connect the gas lines it IS that simple and you will see CRAZY improvments

That was the claim of the Pogue carburetor. That myth is really old.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

chope 05-27-2008 03:35 PM

this is one reason i have kept this to myself jack people like to ridicule things that could possibly help them if they didnt already know it...one tank of gas? lol i wish my gas mileage was that good to make one tank last a YEAR as posted but why do i need to keep monitoring it when i can see that my gas needle takes a week to move from full...lol if you dont like what i say and have done then dont do it if you want to increase your gas milage do it see for yourself i dont have anything to prove to anyone.
you see the material you need..you might need some brass compression fittings to connect to your fuel lines but once the coil is made it only takes about fifteen minutes to install...so you want to question my claims TEST it..
then you come back and talk to me

dosco 05-27-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chope (Post 102498)
...so you want to question my claims TEST it..
then you come back and talk to me

Let's see...

Risk posed by fuel leakage = high.

Evidence that this will improve my mileage = none.

I'm not sure I can handle the math on this one :rolleyes:

chope 05-27-2008 04:24 PM

so you cant tighten a compression fitting taht wont leak..yea you better not try it..look you guys can do what you want i was just trying to help out and im just about tired of the "you dont know what youre talking about attitude"
so do it or dont i dont really care after the response im getting from you guys
what reason do i have to make this up?maybe i just thought might gas mileage increased in that case no need to make them for my 2 vehicles now i just imagine it and i should be able to drive 3000 miles by with 3 fill ups oh yea that happened or maybe i imagined it either way you guys make your areodynamics (which i like and the other "techniques you guys spend your money on and ill make my copper coils from the material i get from work and everone have a good life

your truley,
Christopher wayne Hope

AMX 05-27-2008 04:55 PM

Ever use periods? (.) It might help.

chope 05-27-2008 05:02 PM

yes when i have to but generally try to type so it will be read as i would say
it...fast as if it were one long sentance.do you have something to say about my three period spaces too?am i not allowed to pause in my long statments?
are my feeling supposed to be hurt?you worry about the way you type and ill worry about the way i type.if you dont like it dont read it

people have the worst attitudes now a days everyone thinks they know more than the next and most try to insult the people that have intentions only to help..whats wrong with the world?

dieselbenz 05-27-2008 05:25 PM

Even if you had something worthwhile, your writing style killed any credibility you might have had.

chope 05-27-2008 05:36 PM

ok lets get one thing straight for the last time
**** my credibility do you think i care if you believe me?
i try to help out whoever where ever and thats all i was trying to do.
but instead of testing out what i guess i imagined you insult my grammar?
cool thank you everyone for your superior knowledge and for helping me realize that i have no clue what im talking about and that my fuel gauges must be broke.this forum is supposed to help people increase mpg which the method i suggested ****ing WORKS.
my grammar didnt kill my credibility its all you ****ing know it alls.
now when people find this thread looking to increase thier mpg easily you will try to tell them that there is no "easy" way and my method that i will continue to use as long as i use gas will be ruled out for no good reason and with all that going on ill be living the same great life that i have been living no thanks to the people like alot of you...
but like i said before whatever..peace everyone and if any of you got angry after reading this post then you need to step back and take a good look at yourself in the mirror

GasSavers_Binary 05-27-2008 05:46 PM

You have to be aware that if you post that something works with no hard data to back it up that people aren't going to believe you. Maybe it did work (which if it did, it certainly didn't give you the claimed 62MPG), but without anything to back it up how can we believe it? Especially when you make a claim of an over 200% increase over EPA from one simple mod. Plus you said you wrecked the car doing over 120MPH. You don't get 62MPG in a car that has an EPA of 18MPG by driving at 120MPH. Yes I realize that you didn't drive everywhere like that, but that is a clue as to the fact that you probably weren't driving the car for FE. Don't take it as a personal attack, you just have to be prepared to back up a claim like that.

chope 05-27-2008 05:55 PM

look i was ready to share what i learned with everyone else i did a search on google for mpg forums and you are right i dont believe i did get 62mpg i believe i got more but i didnt want it to sound too crazy but **** nobody believes it anyway lol... the stealth was a 3.0 n/a 6cyl 222hp i believe but anyway i passed it on if you decide to try it good for you make sure you come back and let everyone know how it goes be sure to take video and record all the scientific data and after all that somebody atleast say thank you

i dont know what else to tell you guys but i can say that if i would have known a message board could get me this fired up i would have got on the internet before a fight back when i was kickboxing..lol

chope 05-27-2008 06:06 PM

oh yea one last peice of advice use "m" copper it will make the coil job alot easier..or maybe you shoul0 check with the experts here but, thats just my two cents..

these damn message forums are addictive arent they?
ive got a ton of bl0ue prints to go over but keep getting drawn to this damn forum hitting refresh over and over..before you know it ill be teling everyone e0le they are wrong.please dont insult me about the typos i cant hel0p them my keyboard is messed up

Snax 05-27-2008 06:16 PM

The theory seems valid to me. Not sure about the approach however.

I never pick on anybody about their spelling or grammar though. I've known too many exceptionally bright people who can barely form a sentence in writing.

almightybmw 05-27-2008 06:27 PM

compression fittings are not a big deal people. It's very easy to seal a fuel line properly, without leaks.

Something that chope (Christopher) fails to provide is more than a couple numbers typed out. That isn't convincing enough these days to make people want to cut into their fuels lines without knowledge. For those that feel safe doing that (I included) its not a big deal. I have a project car I'm more than willing to waste time on rabbit trail ideas, when I have the time.

Something to consider Chris (can I call you that?), is provide a picture log of the mileage. Yes, one could fake that too, but at least it shows you're willing to try to convince others for the greater good besides words from your mouth. A picture of the start mileage, a picture of the end, and a picture of the receipt showing the gallons; all dated accordingly. I for one, would feel convinced by that.

This mod does not support anyone, does not give anyone money, doesn't even make things worse (from what we deduce). Therefore, what harm does it do? So Chris sucks at convincing folks. Maybe he's not a people person. A lot of shadetree mechanics aren't, but have interesting ideas that work.

Whoever has the knowledge to do this safely and wishes to, do it for Chris, since he doesn't appear to have the people skills (no offense, you don't) to convey the message.

dosco 05-27-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almightybmw (Post 102552)
compression fittings are not a big deal people. It's very easy to seal a fuel line properly, without leaks.

Something that chope (Christopher) fails to provide is more than a couple numbers typed out. That isn't convincing enough these days to make people want to cut into their fuels lines without knowledge. For those that feel safe doing that (I included) its not a big deal. I have a project car I'm more than willing to waste time on rabbit trail ideas, when I have the time.

Something to consider Chris (can I call you that?), is provide a picture log of the mileage. Yes, one could fake that too, but at least it shows you're willing to try to convince others for the greater good besides words from your mouth. A picture of the start mileage, a picture of the end, and a picture of the receipt showing the gallons; all dated accordingly. I for one, would feel convinced by that.

This mod does not support anyone, does not give anyone money, doesn't even make things worse (from what we deduce). Therefore, what harm does it do? So Chris sucks at convincing folks. Maybe he's not a people person. A lot of shadetree mechanics aren't, but have interesting ideas that work.

Whoever has the knowledge to do this safely and wishes to, do it for Chris, since he doesn't appear to have the people skills (no offense, you don't) to convey the message.

Fair enough and point taken - perhaps you would be a willing test subject (I am one of those not yet willing to cut into my fuel system).

vxdude 05-27-2008 06:38 PM

would you post some pics of the coil and the way it would be set up?

almightybmw 05-27-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dosco (Post 102558)
Fair enough and point taken - perhaps you would be a willing test subject (I am one of those not yet willing to cut into my fuel system).

When the weather stops raining and blowing 25mph, I'll try to find the time. As of now, a lot of these ideas are just backburners to getting the car running (standalone ecu) and new engine broken in. If someone beats me to it, go for it. It may be a few months unfortunately, before I have the time.

chope 06-20-2008 03:37 PM

ok i finally got some free time to make one and install it on my jeep.i dont have a camera but i will start testing it.
keep in mind my jeep has over 230000 miles and needs new plug wires,it has been running very rough but as soon as i installed it the idle smoothed out a little and have better throttle repsponse..even my co worker noticed the difference

chope 06-20-2008 03:38 PM

after it warmed up

Roadking41a 06-20-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chope (Post 107254)
ok i finally got some free time to make one and install it on my jeep.i dont have a camera but i will start testing it.
keep in mind my jeep has over 230000 miles and needs new plug wires,it has been running very rough but as soon as i installed it the idle smoothed out a little and have better throttle repsponse..even my co worker noticed the difference

I'm new here and have been reading this thread. I would like to see pictures on how you did this.I have a older car with electronic carb on it.Maybe this will be of some help.

chope 06-20-2008 05:29 PM

with the tests ive seen carbs improve but not as well as fi i will get a pics as soon as i can

GasSavers_BEEF 06-20-2008 05:45 PM

a good point was brought up about you not trying to sell anything. there are many skeptics on this site (I included). there have been too many "snake oil salesmen" on here lately and it has put a bad taste in my mouth at least. you seem to be sincere and ready to share. I appreciate that more than you know.

when you get your first tank done in the jeep, start a gas log. not sure if this is something that I am willing to do but maybe in the future. it is a lot to ask a person to take their sole source of transportation and cut the life line to it. that is just my opinion. I may experiment with this later. I have been stupid busy here lately.

and yes the site is very addictive. a lot of good info on here. I personally started on this site less than 3 mos ago and already have 250+ posts. I have learned a lot and have hopefully shared some knowledge myself.

good luck on your testing and please keep us informed. you can also put pics in your garage once you start one.

chope 06-21-2008 08:01 AM

beef you dont know how much i thank your kind words,
it's people like you that i hope to help if it works like i think.
so anyway im getting ready to go test it...keep your fingers crossed

chope 06-21-2008 10:04 AM

ok i just did a rough test and got roughly 28mpg im really excited because my old jeep is running like **** and was getting about 11mpg. it is still missing but appears to be getting better than epa.
im gonna do more accurate tests and start a gas log,then i will post all the details.i also simulated going towork and back for a week and my needle barely moved...thats the important thing to me

civic lover 06-21-2008 10:21 AM

how are you calculating your 28 mpg? I say that because roughly isn't a word that is used around here. Usually you would say 28.34543324555543 mpg. Sorry guys I had to do it. We all here are statistical freaks.

chope 06-21-2008 10:31 AM

by filling an empty tank with 4 gallons driving until the tank level light comes on [3 gal] and and check the mileage..i really dont care how you do it anywhere,but thats also why i said id do more accurate tests..

Wyldesoul 06-21-2008 04:55 PM

Proper recording of your MPG is a very specific thing.... You have to use the same pump every time (because different sloping concrete at different stations will give a different level of full). You have to fill up each tank to the top in order to be consistent, no amount of watching the gauge will give you accurate fill levels. Choose something like the second click to get a full level. (first click often goes off pre-maturely due to splash up.) When you do that, then it's the only way to make sure you have a consistent fill up, and so the only way to know how many gallons you used. (You can look into my log for my Thunderbird (wench) and see how much a differently sloping lot can affect your supposed MPG)

Always reset your trip odometer at the pump too.

If you can't afford at a time to fill up your tank, don't reset your trip odometer, just record the gallons you put into your tank, and add those to the sum of when you can top off the tank. (If you look in my logs, you'll see me putting 25+ gallons into an 18 gallon tank. That's how.)

But, when you do that, then you can start giving hard numbers that everyone on the board will be far more inclined to believe. Estimations and calculating gallons used by the gas gauge never works to the guys here.

chope 06-21-2008 05:27 PM

yes i know but when ifill up i keep venting he nozzle and pulling out until
i see gas..thats also why i gave p 7mpg the actual number i got was 35

chope 06-21-2008 05:30 PM

oh yea no matter what the numbrs are i know i have increased mpg,
and you guys really have no idea how bad the jeep is running

chope 06-21-2008 05:33 PM

oh one last thing if the tank level sensor is working its not gonna lie to you