Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Just installed my new NTK 5 wire o2 sensor. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/just-installed-my-new-ntk-5-wire-o2-sensor-8673.html)

92VXHatchguy 05-29-2008 08:21 PM

Just installed my new NTK 5 wire o2 sensor.

Won this from ebay for $95 brand new. So far, no check engine light. I bought the o2 sensor socket from Harbor freight for 3.99, removed the old one, and screwed in the new one. Maybe it's me, but it seems like it runs a little better. I'm getting major service done tomorrow, so hopefully everything will be running in tip top shape. I'm hoping it will pass smog, so I can finally get the title in my name.

Has anyone hear tried to clean out their old o2 sensor? I'm wondering if these can be salvaged by cleaning out the dirt and crap that has been building up for the last 16 years. I'm not sure if this part has ever been changed from the original owner.

jshelton441 05-29-2008 08:25 PM

Haven't tried cleaning mine yet, but it would seem like filmless cleaners like carb cleaner would be best so it would not leave a residue for anything to buildup on other than normal soot. Mine looks newer, wires are very clean compared to the rest of the underhood harnesses and connectors. I'm replacing my cracked manifold and cat with a Hedman header, and will have to extend my O2 wires if its in a different location. Repost how your smog went, I'm in the same boat trying to register the car that failed smog as you.

92VXHatchguy 05-29-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshelton441 (Post 102980)
Haven't tried cleaning mine yet, but it would seem like filmless cleaners like carb cleaner would be best so it would not leave a residue for anything to buildup on other than normal soot. Mine looks newer, wires are very clean compared to the rest of the underhood harnesses and connectors. I'm replacing my cracked manifold and cat with a Hedman header, and will have to extend my O2 wires if its in a different location. Repost how your smog went, I'm in the same boat trying to register the car that failed smog as you.

I'll definitely post up what my readings are. I don't have the old readings because I bought the car w/o it being smogged. The prior owner didn't have anything except a carfax and the pink slip. I'm happy with the car. I'm finally getting things done little by little.

monroe74 06-04-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92VXHatchguy (Post 102979)
Has anyone hear tried to clean out their old o2 sensor?

I haven't done it, but I've read about folks using a torch to clean it. Or to try to clean it.

On youtube there's a fun video of someone using a torch to test two VX O2 sensors. If you're a VX geek like me you'll enjoy watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXPdhai_5iE

slogfilet 08-27-2008 11:06 AM

any tips/experiences on cleaning or refurbishing an old o2 sensor?

GasSavers_Gollum 08-27-2008 01:05 PM

If you're trying to pass smog the O2 is only a very small portion of the big picture. I could go on for days about all the factors to consider and look into. Biggest thing I can suggest though is running a fairly high % of alcohol/ethanol. This will bring combustion temps WAY down reducing NOx, and generally burns a bit cleaner, giving you more flexability in fuel ratio.

If you're running super rich or lean you'll still fail though. EGR function is also important, test to see if it's working.

Ford Man 08-27-2008 02:26 PM

(Quote) Has anyone hear tried to clean out their old o2 sensor? I'm wondering if these can be salvaged by cleaning out the dirt and crap that has been building up for the last 16 years. I'm not sure if this part has ever been changed from the original owner.[/QUOTE]

I've never tried cleaning one, but a friend of mine that does mechanical work for a living told me a few years ago that you could clean them with Sea Foam. He said just put a little bit in a container just enough to cover the sensor and let is soak over night. Try it at your own risk, but if you already have a new one what have you got to loose?

Ford Man 08-27-2008 02:33 PM

(Quote) I'm hoping it will pass smog, so I can finally get the title in my name.

Auto Zone sell a product called Berryman Emissions Pass Protection that is guaranteed to make your car pass emissions testing as long as you don't have any bad emissions parts.