Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   what is a good moped/scooter to look for? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/what-is-a-good-moped-scooter-to-look-for-8740.html)

meangreen 06-02-2008 11:34 AM

what is a good moped/scooter to look for?

new or used?

my wife would like one to ride to work.

low price is important.

theholycow 06-02-2008 11:37 AM

There's current scooter discussion in this thread:
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?p=103521

GasSavers_Ryland 06-02-2008 09:41 PM

Saying "low price is important" is almost useless and are you asking if a new one is better then a used one? where you can find a new one? I'm very confused!

I figure if you plan to use it much then it's almost worth going with new, $1,400 will get you a fine Tomos, or $2,000 will get you a Sachs, not sure what Honda's are currently running.

GasSavers_SD26 06-03-2008 05:57 AM

If I were buying, I'd look at a Yamaha Zuma. Very, very, very reliable scooter. Parts and service would be easily available when needed. I think the original design goes back to the late 80's. Used, they still will be a little expensive because they are sought after for the things I posted above.

MiddleMike 06-03-2008 06:50 AM

I dig my Vino (125 cc). The engine is so basic you could take it apart and reassemble it without worry, it gets great mileage (70-80-ish mpg), goes about 55 to 55 (downhill on 55, lol), has enough carrying capacity under the seat for an 8 pack of Guiness cans PLUS a few pint bottles/wine bottles, and is a nice ride on top of all that. Got mine for about $2,400 a few years back, new, from a motorcycle dealership. Highly recommended.

DarbyWalters 06-08-2008 04:52 PM

You have to match your ride choice with your requirements. If you need to be able to go 55mph easily...then you need a 150cc. If you do not want to get a MC license then you will be on a 50cc. The deal is, you can always find a "cheap" ride but it will be worthless if it can't deliver your minimum needs.

1fixitman 06-16-2008 07:58 PM

In the state of GA we can ride motorcycles on a permit that has to be renewed once a year. It cost me ten bucks. The MSF class cost me three days and two hundred fifty bucks then the certificate will get me my actual license for motorcycles and I can toss the permit. I will have the license by the first week of july. I like the 49cc scoots for just running errands at 30 mph for a FE of 90-100 MPG's....Oh yeah no tag or insurance...hell I think you don't even need a license at all....That is why they call them wi-no scooters or wi-no slickers because the dui's and lack of license drive them to the scooter community lol. I just like it for the lack of insurance and tag/registration fees.
Very little money for lots of mpg's.....at 30 mph lol. Won't get me to work but fun, fun, fun to drive.
Though I purchased a 49cc chinese bike I highly recommend that you get a good brand name like vespa, honda, maybe even a kymco. Or jump directly to the Suzuki Burgman 400 also known as a maxi scooter.
Dwayne

cat0020 06-23-2008 09:19 AM

Depending on what kind of riding your are looking to do with this scooter purchase, how much you weigh, what kind of mechanical skills and tools you have, the Chinese scooters could be a great way to save money.

I bought my 250cc Chinese scooter on eBay for $1699 delievered to my driveway. I have put over 1800 miles since late March 2008, zero problems.

I am somewhat mechanical and have most tools for working on motorcycles/bicycles in my garage. Local scooter/motorcycle ships are unlikely to help you when you have a mechanical problem with your cheap Chinese scooter, so it is somewhat important to be able or willing to work on these scooters yourself.

The oil and coolant change on my scooter takes 15-20 minutes, valve adjustments I do it in 5 minutes when the engine is at operating temperature and while it is running.

I fillup every 150-170 miles, I put in 2 gallon of 87 octane fuel; this past Friday evening, I put in only 1.6 gal. for 153 mile according to tripmeter. It seems to get better mileage as I get more usage on it.

I weigh 160lb. with my riding gear and helmet on me. 90% of my riding is 30-55 mph. I close the throttle and coast when I pass a downhill section, I stay pretty much below or around the speed limit..

meangreen 07-02-2008 03:56 AM

ok, so ive come across a honda 50cc that has some problems. Im pretty good at fixing things, i work on my honda civic - changed the clutch, the head, timing belt, etc...

One problem that im not so sure about, the title is lost. What does it take to replace that or get a new one? Is that even important with a 50 cc scooter? I live in texas. I dont want to be driving someones stolen property.

GasSavers_Colin 07-02-2008 07:24 PM

You should be able to apply for a bonded title from the DMV. If the form is anything like it is here in Minnesota, that state will want to know the VIN, year, make, model, previous registration number (if known), detailed description of how you came to acquire the vehicle and why there is no title, and several pictures of the vehicle. After reviewing the application, the state may choose to issue a title. A bonded title can be disputed for a certain time period (possibly indefinitely?) if someone else can produce an original title in their name.

If you suspect the bike is stolen, steer clear.

Which model is it? Elite? Metropolitan? Ruckus? I loves me some Hondas. :)

Colin