Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   New Catalytic converter? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/new-catalytic-converter-8754.html)

92VXHatchguy 06-03-2008 08:49 AM

New Catalytic converter?

:confused: Ok since now I know that I need a new cat, my CEL came back on. Now I did all the major service as posted in my earlier thread. My mechanic took the car back to the smog test station, and he recommended I get a new cat. Going rates out here in LA are $400-500 installed. This by the way is an aftermarket cat. Honda lists the VX cat for $714 retail. My friend who works for honda said that OEM cats should last for about 10 years, whereas aftermarket cats last 4 years maybe? I'm just getting frustrated to the point where I want to get the work done already so I can pass smog. Does anyone here in Los Angeles, specifically in the San Fernando valley have any recommendations as to where to get the work done? I know on ebay they sell aftermarket cats for about $225 plus shipping. I can save myself $ that way and bolt it on myself. Any help would be appreciated.

VetteOwner 06-03-2008 09:03 AM

lol universal cats are generally made at the same place oem cats are...

heck i picked a universal up for $70 a few years ago...

do it yourself its not hard...

kamesama980 06-03-2008 09:24 AM

cats last as long as the engine runs moderately well. by definition a catalyst isn't used up in the process. ways to ruin a cat: run excessively rich or burn oil to clog it with carbon. run excessively lean and melt it. mechanical damage, usually hitting it on a speed bump or the like.

VetteOwner 06-03-2008 10:20 AM

yup, sometimes they just go bad after time (but like 20+ years)

or they could have had a defect from the factory that let the inside bounce around...

dkjones96 06-03-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamesama980 (Post 103712)
cats last as long as the engine runs moderately well. by definition a catalyst isn't used up in the process. ways to ruin a cat: run excessively rich or burn oil to clog it with carbon. run excessively lean and melt it. mechanical damage, usually hitting it on a speed bump or the like.

Rich melts/destroys it and then it gets covered in carbon as it can no longer catalyze. :thumbup:

suspendedhatch 06-03-2008 08:41 PM

They're required by federal law to last 8 years provided the engine is running properly.

Besides the things already mentioned, burning coolant ie a blown headgasket, will also destroy a cat.

Mechanics LOVE to tell you that you need a new catalytic converter but you rarely do.

VX cat is under the hood right on the exhaust manifold. It's an unusual shape because it's also a collector for all four ports. But it's not that hard to change. I recommend that you unbolt the whole exhaust manifold and B pipe and then pull the cat off with it clamped in a table vice. Use a breaker bar and soak the bolts in penetrating fluid.

Or if you got an impact just go to town. I love my air tools.

Get a new one from summitracing. Magnaflow/Carsound is a good brand.

VetteOwner 06-04-2008 09:41 AM

mmm impact gun (homer simpsin droolign sound)

i just angle grind the bolts off, you arent gonan get em off...