Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News, Articles and Products (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Now this car just might save GM. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f16/now-this-car-just-might-save-gm-8805.html)

civic_matic_00 06-05-2008 05:58 PM

Now this car just might save GM.

Chevy just might hit a home run with the Volt:

https://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,363203,00.html

GM Shelves SUVs, Prepares to Roll Out the Volt
Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Plant flowers in the old SUV ? Chevy's betting America will get turned on by its electric Volt.

Automaking giant General Motors on Tuesday said it was preparing to cut production of gas-guzzling SUVs while clearing the road for the electric hybrid Volt.

The plug-in vehicle, introduced as a concept car in January 2007, will be powered by a lithium-ion battery that can be recharged either via a regular electrical socket when parked or by an onboard generator while driving.

The standard Volt generator will be configured to run on E85 fuel (85 percent ethanol, 15 percent gasoline), but other fuel sources, such as diesel, gasoline or even fuel cells are possible.

The Volt's internal-combustion generator engine powers only the batteries, not the car's wheels, meaning that it needs to run at only one speed, maximizing efficiency. Modern diesel-electric rail locomotives have used the same principle for decades.

Fully charged, the Volt should be able to drive about 40 miles before the generator kicks in. The generator's fuel tank should enable the car to go 400 miles before refueling, allowing it to get the equivalent of 150 miles per gallon.

The automaker said Tuesday it would idle pickup and SUV factories in Janesville, Wis.; Oshawa, Ontario, Canada; Moraine, Ohio; and Toluca, Mexico, as it tries to deal with a shift to smaller vehicles brought on by $4 per gallon gasoline prices.

GM also took aim at the Hummer, one off the largest vehicles on U.S. highways, saying that division would either be sold off or the vehicle overhauled.

The Volt, with an initial production run of 10,000, is expected to hit showrooms in 2010. After that, GM plans to build tens of thousands per year.

==============================================

this car will blow other hybrids on the market today. GM is finally doing it right an actual hybrid that uses more of the electricity part than the gas engine. at 150 miles per gallon, this is a real green car.

theholycow 06-06-2008 04:53 AM

If it can be plugged in, too, that'd be great. With a 40 mile range I may be able to run 100% electric on my 38 mile commute and charge at work.

civic_matic_00 06-06-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 104241)
If it can be plugged in, too, that'd be great. With a 40 mile range I may be able to run 100% electric on my 38 mile commute and charge at work.

your wish is granted! it is pluggable.

https://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/

110 volt household outlet.

theholycow 06-06-2008 09:16 AM

Well, looks like the new 30mpg 300hp Camaro might have some competition for my money. Either way, Chevy's got me by the balls, or I guess by the heart. Damnit, I've wanted a Camaro since I was 6 years old!

civic_matic_00 06-06-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 104304)
Well, looks like the new 30mpg 300hp Camaro might have some competition for my money. Either way, Chevy's got me by the balls, or I guess by the heart. Damnit, I've wanted a Camaro since I was 6 years old!

Chevy is also working on an HICC system. it's like a diesel engine which uses compression to ignite fuel but it's for gasoline engines. (sorry, don't have the link handy but I saw the article on ecogeek).

it appears that Chevy have some good technology in the pipeline. I've always been a Honda/Toyota guy but chevy might change my mind in the future.

GasSavers_TomO 06-06-2008 10:18 AM

With better aerodynamics, the Volt could go so much farther than 40 miles....at least it seems like GM is actually going to make this car. We'll just see how much it's initial cost is and how much of the prototyping it actually retains.

theholycow 06-06-2008 10:32 AM

https://www.greencar.com/features/che...-aerodynamics/
Quote:

Don’t expect the 2010 Chevy Volt to look exactly like the concept car. GM officials assure us that it will be recognizable as the Volt, but aerodynamic considerations are taking priority over the original concept’s bold styling statement.
Realistically speaking, though, if you want to see many on the road they're going to have to either look good or beat the Prius in functionality. More will sell with lower electric-only range and pretty styling than with longer electric-only range and boring/ugly styling.

opelgt73 06-06-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 104312)
With better aerodynamics, the Volt could go so much farther than 40 miles....at least it seems like GM is actually going to make this car. We'll just see how much it's initial cost is and how much of the prototyping it actually retains.

It pretty aerodynamic to me.....I dunno...

One thing it definitely has going for it is that it is a cool looking car. I mean it looks far better than any of the other hybrids out there. At least in my opinion. If they can produce it for around $20-30K I would buy one today.

civic_matic_00 06-06-2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opelgt73 (Post 104321)
It pretty aerodynamic to me.....I dunno...

One thing it definitely has going for it is that it is a cool looking car. I mean it looks far better than any of the other hybrids out there. At least in my opinion. If they can produce it for around $20-30K I would buy one today.

I believe that the MSRP will be around $30 to $35K.

civic_matic_00 06-07-2008 08:20 AM

https://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1722/69/
Volt Update: Approved for Production

EcoGeeks have been rooting for the Chevy Volt since its initial debut as a concept car. And while we've been keeping tabs on the developments and milestones as Chevy has explored the concept, it has not been a sure thing that it would be going into production. Though it has had unprecedented pre-production enthusiasm from the public and an in-house champion for an electric drive hybrid vehicle in the vice-chairman of General Motors, Bob Lutz, the Volt has only been a concept under development - just a possible addition to Chevy's line.

That changed this week when the board at General Motors approved putting the Volt into production. The Volt will be built at the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly facility. Chevy is still targeting the end of 2010 to have the Volt available to consumers. Production versions of the final Volt design are expected to be unveiled shortly.

This gives GM two years to continue testing, get details finalized, and be ready to begin producing a different kind of car, with significant capability to run solely on electric power.