Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   90 crx hf how can i increase gas mileage? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/90-crx-hf-how-can-i-increase-gas-mileage-8843.html)

tbrown4 06-08-2008 07:14 AM

90 crx hf how can i increase gas mileage?

I just bought a 90 crx hf with 144000 miles on it. still has orig. engine (d15b6) and tranny. the only mods on it is a stage 3 racing clutch dc headers and a flow master exhaust with a 4 inch tip. I would like to make it stock again what do you guys think i should do? thanks

tyler

friz 06-08-2008 07:25 AM

I can't imagine those mods would affect MPG that much.

fumesucker 06-08-2008 07:45 AM

Leave the headers and exhaust.. change back to a quiet muffler if you prefer.

Free flowing exhaust will most likely give you a slight mpg boost..

tbrown4 06-08-2008 08:56 AM

okay thanks. The car also has a cold air intake but it doesnt fit the car. the owner before took it off a lower 90s civic and put it on. you can pull it right off pretty much. is there a cold air intake that would fit for this model? i have looked for some and found a couple but some sites offer them and others dont for the same intake. so i dont know if they really only fit the 1.5l base 90 crx.

fumesucker 06-08-2008 09:19 AM

Cold air intakes are good for horsepower but generally bad for mileage..

In fact people are doing the exact opposite and making warm or even hot air intakes to increase mileage.

theholycow 06-08-2008 09:40 AM

Cold air intakes have been reported to increase mileage, I would assume by reducing intake restriction in badly designed systems. Either way, if you're interested in monkeying around with your intake, might as well give it a free-flowing Warm Air Intake.

tbrown4 06-08-2008 09:57 AM

okay thanks tons. so change the muffer and get a warm air intake? anything else i could do to the car to increase mileage? I know I want to change out the clutch to a stage 1 cuz you have to get the car to 2k just to get it to move. and it bogs out if i go under that with the stage 3. Im going to try hypermiling i just read up on that.

tbrown4 06-08-2008 10:04 AM

I also had another ? have any of you guys used that water for fuel thing? does it really work? thanks

tyler

FritzR 06-08-2008 10:20 AM

I don't think bogging under 2k rpms is the clutch. Mine used to do that. It is a CA car. I put the Fed ECU in it and that fixed it. I'm not sure if the old ecu was bunk or not though.

With mine it can start out at 1K in first provided I give it very little throttle until it hits 1.5K then it can be floored

theholycow 06-08-2008 10:36 AM

The best part to modify is your driving.

Your clutch could be no good for FE, and a WAI would probably help (though I haven't yet tried one). Be sure to add air to your tires if they're not already at the maximum pressure stamped on their sidewalls (see the tire pressure link in my sig). There's probably other things you can do.

All added up, those modifications won't have anywhere near the effect that changing your driving habits will.

I don't believe in any of the miracle FE products like water for fuel stuff. I may eventually consider a DIY HHO experiment, though.