Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Renewable Petrolium discovered! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/renewable-petrolium-discovered-8979.html)

Karishnikov 06-16-2008 05:16 PM

I first read this in Popular Science magazine, and it's basically an article about a company, Amyris, that is doing the same thing with E. coli but using sugarcane as the food source. Read: https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/bu...=1&oref=slogin

R.I.D.E. 06-16-2008 05:58 PM

I like it. Take waste and make fuel, and while you are at it make a fuel that is custom engineered to work without dangerous emissions, as well as being carbon negative.

Now add a non reciprocating, variable compression, self regenerative flywheel-engine, and an Infinitely Variable In-Wheel drive system, and you have it. A 100+ MPG car that runs on crap LMAO.

regards
gary

dm1333 06-16-2008 06:02 PM

Of course Mr Fusions contraption will work! He's using Miller High Life, the "Champagne of Beers".

DRW 06-16-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue
If that bacteria were to be released into the environment we could have gasoline all over the landscape. That would be very bad for the environment.

Some people drive as if gas grew on trees! LOL

GasSavers_JoeBob 06-16-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 106146)
I don't think so. You would still have to refine the crude. I think the only way it could work like that is to have bacteria that excreted 87 octane gasoline. Even then it still should only stay in controlled conditions, not in every car on the road. If that bacteria were to be released into the environment we could have gasoline all over the landscape. That would be very bad for the environment.

Hmmm...instead of going to the gas station, I could just break out a sponge...

1cheap1 06-16-2008 09:56 PM

Instead of Chicago, use Detroit as the main site. Should make everybody happy.

StorminMatt 06-16-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biffmeistro (Post 106134)
and the article says that in order to meet the demands of the USA, it would take a plant the size of Chicago.

This is NOT as big of a deal as it might seem. After all, it's not like all crude used here in the US MUST be produced at ONLY ONE plant. If you spread this out to a couple hundred plants throughout the US, then land use is really nt such a big deal. Of course, what will be interesting is to see how this technology compares with thermal depolymerization. Thermal depolymerization is also able to convert such things as agricultural waste into a 'renewable crude' - a crude that is actually SUPERIOR to that which is drilled from the ground. But thermal depolymerization accomplishes this by means of high temperature chemical reactions rather than biological processes. Currently, thermal depolymerization is actually in the pilot plant stage, with a plant producing about 500 barrels of oil from turkey slauhterhouse refuse. But I have not heard of any other plants that are planned.

R.I.D.E. 06-17-2008 03:50 AM

In WW2 Japanese submarines could refuel directly from the oil wells in some of the captured countries, no refining necessary, just ran it through a filter. The oil came out of the wells that clean.

Thermal depolymerization that requires high temperatures requires billions of btu's of heat energy.

Enzymes require nothing, never retire, don't form unions, or collective monopolies.

Every area in the US has waste material.

Decentralization makes sabotage impossible.

No refineries, no emplyees, plenty of feedstock.

Gates and Ichon have deep pockets and they see the potential in these processes to the tune of 56 million for the vaccine for Malaria.

This makes the inventors financially secure so they can pursue this process.

If they can engineer a replacement fuel, there is no reason to believe they can not engineer a fuel that is useable without any refining whatsoever.

Creating fuel from waste of all kinds doesn't mean doubling of food prices like has happened with corn due to ethanol production.

Diesel fuel has almost twice the btu content per gallon of methanol.

regards
gary

Heavy Armor 06-17-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBsGarage (Post 106166)
Is it me or does this sound like the makings of a futuristic Jurassic park?

LOL... yeah. The bacteria will mutate into a contagious disease, and half the population will die, and all the victims eventually dissolve into a big puddle of oil.

Hmm.... hopefully I didn't just give the scientists any ideas!

~HA

theholycow 06-17-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Armor (Post 106429)
LOL... yeah. The bacteria will mutate into a contagious disease, and half the population will die, and all the victims eventually dissolve into a big puddle of oil.

That's "The Stand" or "The Andromeda Strain"...