Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Buying an EFIE (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/buying-an-efie-8997.html)

cugir321 06-17-2008 05:27 AM

Buying an EFIE

2 Attachment(s)
I got a EFIE board from fuelsaver-mpg today. Most of it was fine. The LM2940s chip is not completely on the pad. One problem is too much. It only takes one short to cause problems. Will it work? Probably. The run is coated so it should. Could it short...maybe. Do you want a maybe problem attached to your cars ECU?

Notice the three legged chip....designation LM2940s. The chip is over a run...it does not sit completely over the pad. This is not a good thing. I'm not real happy with their work.

GasSavers_BEEF 06-17-2008 05:49 AM

you can always put it on a hotplate and move it. or maybe even use a hot airgun and move it yourself. I work in electronics so I have access to quite a bit of soldering equipment. sometimes I take it for granted.

if you art that concerned about it you can always send it back or just get one from somewhere else.

GasSavers_BEEF 06-17-2008 06:52 AM

if it helps any (and it might not) here is the data sheet for the part you are worried about.

https://datasheet.digchip.com/064/064-01134-0-LM2940.pdf

*edit* and the tab is ground, crap, I see your delema.

Ford Man 06-17-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 106382)
you can always put it on a hotplate and move it. or maybe even use a hot airgun and move it yourself. I work in electronics so I have access to quite a bit of soldering equipment. sometimes I take it for granted.

if you art that concerned about it you can always send it back or just get one from somewhere else.

Beef, Do you by any chance make EFIE's? If you do how much do they sell for? I have a couple of schematics for them, but what I know about electrical components is just enough to get someone hurt or ruin more than I would fix.

GasSavers_BEEF 06-17-2008 01:04 PM

sorry, no, I work for a company that designs and manufactures amplifiers for cell phones.

I have been in the business for a while and done quite a bit of soldering in my time. I have also worked in repair so I am kind of used to looking up part numbers and data sheets.

cugir321 06-17-2008 05:41 PM

move it

I know I can move it....it does have very small surface mount chips on the back side of the board. Below the LM chip. Get it too hot and they drop off. But that's not the nut of it. It's a 45.00 board....would have taken 30 seconds for them to spot the chip. 3 minutes to fix it with no chips on the back side. Now I have to deal with it. I bought the board so I didn't have to spend my time putting it together. I did my pwm...I didn't feel like spending the 3 hours to put it together. I've seen shorts in the exact type situation in the Navy.

Now I have to pay with my time...send it back...time...fix it....time. There's no excuse for that chip.

GasSavers_BEEF 06-18-2008 03:28 AM

quality control isn't what it used to be.

just out of curiosity....was there a "MADE IN CHINA" sticker on that board?

I say to send it back and raise cane. you may at least get free shipping out of the deal.

Ford Man 06-18-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cugir321 (Post 106554)
I know I can move it....it does have very small surface mount chips on the back side of the board. Below the LM chip. Get it too hot and they drop off. But that's not the nut of it. It's a 45.00 board....would have taken 30 seconds for them to spot the chip. 3 minutes to fix it with no chips on the back side. Now I have to deal with it. I bought the board so I didn't have to spend my time putting it together. I did my pwm...I didn't feel like spending the 3 hours to put it together. I've seen shorts in the exact type situation in the Navy.

Now I have to pay with my time...send it back...time...fix it....time. There's no excuse for that chip.

I would send it back for repair or replacement. If they get by with it this time they will be less likely to improve the quality of their work. Yes, it will cost you some time, but it is better than coming up 2 months from now needing a complete new board due to manufacture negligence.

mikekehrli 06-18-2008 09:39 AM

For the Record:

I am the owner of FuelSaver-MPG. I have already offered to replace the board or refund your money. At your choice. If you hate it, just send it back. I'll refund you in full. Or, if you want, I'll send you another one, and I'll make sure the voltage regulator is on straight. I know the board works, because I test each one before it ships.

I stand behind every product I put out. You're the first unsatisfied customer I've ever had. You must have some other motive. Otherwise you wouldn't have ignored my offer to replace or refund at your choice.

cugir321 06-18-2008 10:04 AM

Yea right

These people here have seen enough of my posts to know my motives. Yea right! First unsatisfied customer!!! What I hate is that if I didn't know what I was looking at you probably would have said, if your not happy with it then we have a nice forum where you can sell it yourself.

Then you're to blame!....you tested it?...why didn't you look at the unit before you shipped it?

Fine....you want to make it right. Refund the full amount with shipping. I keep the unit. I'm not going to be bothered packing it and sending it out...more postage. I know what the parts cost. You've sent it out without checking it and inconvienced me....take the loss.

Okay, here you go, I'm fair, you want to make it right...refund the cost of the unit, initial postage, return postage, 10.00 for my time and energy to repackage it and send it. When I see it on my card I'll send it back.

Funny, you misplace a chip the size of arizona onto your circuit board so there is a possibility of short at some later date, sell it, and then try and blame the customer of a motive. Boy, that's a fine company!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikekehrli (Post 106695)
I am the owner of FuelSaver-MPG. I have already offered to replace the board or refund your money. At your choice. If you hate it, just send it back. I'll refund you in full. Or, if you want, I'll send you another one, and I'll make sure the voltage regulator is on straight. I know the board works, because I test each one before it ships.

I stand behind every product I put out. You're the first unsatisfied customer I've ever had. You must have some other motive. Otherwise you wouldn't have ignored my offer to replace or refund at your choice.