Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Saturn Wagons (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/saturn-wagons-9058.html)

limerence 06-20-2008 09:10 AM

Saturn Wagons

Hello,

Wanted to get some advice for a potential purchase. I've been looking for a wagon to buy and my coworker mentioned that his neighbor is interested in selling his '00 SW2. It has 100k miles and is automatic (i know 5 speed would have been better) and he is the original owner.

The good: He's asking 1k for it.

The bad: shifts hard, coolant leak, and drinks some oil.

From perusing around the boards, it looks like the oil issue and the shifting hard (valve body?) is common for these cars. Are these difficult fixes and is it worth it to buy the wagon at that price?

Thanks.

tvsteve 06-23-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limerence (Post 107167)
Hello,

The bad: shifts hard, coolant leak, and drinks some oil.

From perusing around the boards, it looks like the oil issue and the shifting hard (valve body?) is common for these cars. Are these difficult fixes and is it worth it to buy the wagon at that price?

Thanks.

Valve body for shifting, coolant leak could be anything from a radiator, water pump, intake manifold gasket. Thats something you are going to look to see where the leak is coming from. Oil usage could be stuck rings, and a MMO soak might help. If you can do these repairs yourself it's a good buy. Ask your coworker if he changed the oil every 3K and the transmission fluid and filter every 30K. If not done walk away from the deal.
Steve

cfg83 06-23-2008 06:07 PM

limerence -

I have a 1999 SW2 (manual tranny, :) ). Pretty much all of the S-Series burn oil. If it's at or below 1 quart every 3000 miles, then you should be ok. If I were you, I would go to www.saturnfans.com to ask this question. If you want, I can post your question over there and you can watch for responses.

CarloSW2

limerence 06-23-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 107853)
limerence -

I have a 1999 SW2 (manual tranny, :) ). Pretty much all of the S-Series burn oil. If it's at or below 1 quart every 3000 miles, then you should be ok. If I were you, I would go to www.saturnfans.com to ask this question. If you want, I can post your question over there and you can watch for responses.

CarloSW2

Thanks Carlos.

I did it the same day.

FXjohn 06-29-2008 08:54 PM

What was the best mileage saturn wagon ever made?

cheapybob 06-30-2008 08:13 PM

None of my SOHC motors have ever burned oil. My daughters DOHC does though. The SW1 with 5 spd is the one to own of the bunch, IMO. The newer the better.

GasSavers_JoeBob 06-30-2008 09:09 PM

A '99 car for a grand? If it is in any sort of decent shape, go for it. Unless there is a lot wrong with it (huge boofs of smoke, won't start, etc) it's probably a good deal. Engines rebuild, transmissions rebuild or replace. But...if they are asking $1000, offer $500. And go from there.