Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   UHMW-PE For undertray (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/uhmw-pe-for-undertray-9062.html)

almightybmw 06-20-2008 10:49 AM

UHMW-PE For undertray

Has anyone looked at using Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW-PE) as an undertray material? Its the stuff they use on the hockey rink edges, ..crap its a huge list. It's a very diverse plastic. It's also very slippery (close to teflon), very resistant to abrasion, highest impact strength of any thermoplastic, highly resistant to corrosive chemicals (oxidizing acids excluded), and its used in weeving for bullet proof vests. It's neat stuff. Apparently, its thee plastic to use for skidplates. Comes in very thin sheets (0.125") and is flexible so you could take a sheet and just screw it down to your underbody. It comes in just about whatever color you want too.

It's worth looking at, and installing. at .602lbs/sq. ft at 0.125" its also fairly light. A friend of mine used almost all a 4' x 8' sheet to cover his rally car underside. That's less than 19lbs and will keep your car clear of big rocks, sticks, tire shreds from beating the underside.

It's not terribly cheap. a 4' x 8' sheet of natural color is $190 or so. Might be more if you pick it up locally, that's an online price (+shipping is more!).

I plan to find smaller sheets local and start at the rear of the car and work forward.

d1morgj0 06-20-2008 04:32 PM

Obviously new, admittedly ignorant....

Why would you start at the back of the vehicle and move forward with this?

ophidia31 06-21-2008 10:00 AM

thats really not a good way to save money. your trying to save money from spending it on gas but youll buy a 190 piece of plastic instead of some cheaper stuff you can find for next to nothing. your friends case is a differnet story. the amount of debris that you will find on the road is 1% of what he will see off road so the abilities that plastic gives your friend, doesnt need to be applied on road.

also, you should really start at the front of the car and work your way back. if air is turbulent in the front of the car, all the smoothing/aero in the world isnt going to help it when it reaches the back of the car.

theholycow 06-21-2008 01:50 PM

I have some small sheets of something that might be this stuff. It's very slick.
https://lh6.ggpht.com/ronanian/SF1plB...6/IMG_1316.JPG

GasSavers_Pete 06-21-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05rolla (Post 107262)
Obviously new, admittedly ignorant....

Why would you start at the back of the vehicle and move forward with this?

From the installation point of view:
The idea being the leading edge of each sheet is then set behind the sheet in front so as air travels along it "cascades" over the joins instead of meeting a lip at every joint.

From the aero benefits perspective then yes beginning at the front is the better way to go.

Pete.

ajac 06-22-2008 01:56 PM

uhmw1 is incredibly amazing material. It is the cheapest plastic at least aroud here. My dad is a machinist and it is the plastic he uses in toxic (sewage treatment plants) environments. It is a great plastic but I think it may be more than you need, IMO

But I don't think that it is worth the 190 bucks though. Given that is an election year. I personally would just wait until one of those political reps come rounds asking to put a sign in your yard. But then I like the cheap side of things.

COMP 06-22-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajac (Post 107647)
uhmw1 is incredibly amazing material. It is the cheapest plastic at least aroud here. My dad is a machinist and it is the plastic he uses in toxic (sewage treatment plants) environments. It is a great plastic but I think it may be more than you need, IMO

But I don't think that it is worth the 190 bucks though. Given that is an election year. I personally would just wait until one of those political reps come rounds asking to put a sign in your yard. But then I like the cheap side of things.

or call them :D

almightybmw 06-22-2008 07:55 PM

Ahh, yes for the price, on a pavement road only, not worth the 190 bucks. On the rally car, beyond worth it. If I had a truck, and took it offroading, as well as on road, it'd be worth it. but then maybe I'd use steel and wouldn't care about FE.

Pretty neat plastic despite the price.