Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Chevy volt crap mileage? (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/chevy-volt-crap-mileage-9161.html)

imzjustplayin 06-26-2008 05:36 PM

Chevy volt crap mileage?
 
I mean we can all agree 50mpg is pretty good for a non hybrid and is fairly decent for a hybrid, but what about the chevy volt?

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007...uzz_around.php

According to Chevy, the Volt gets 50 mpg with the generator running in what?s call ranger-extender mode. If driven 60 miles, with the last 20 miles in this mode, this results in a 150 mpg equivalent for the trip.

Shouldn't this be getting better than 50mpg in the generator mode? Also the crap about 150mpg equivalent for a 60 mile trip is nonsense because using power off the grid shouldn't be factored into the figure for MPG.

Another page:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01...y-the-numbers/

Why is the curb weight so damned high? The EV1 used LEAD ACID and this is going to use li-ion yet it weighs more? Has GM not learned that a heavy vehicle is going to get poorer mileage? Why is this thing so stupidly heavy?

Project84 06-26-2008 05:47 PM

looks like a much bigger car to me...

Jay2TheRescue 06-26-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ************* (Post 108331)
I mean we can all agree 50mpg is pretty good for a non hybrid and is fairly decent for a hybrid, but what about the chevy volt?

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007...uzz_around.php

According to Chevy, the Volt gets 50 mpg with the generator running in what?s call ranger-extender mode. If driven 60 miles, with the last 20 miles in this mode, this results in a 150 mpg equivalent for the trip.

Shouldn't this be getting better than 50mpg in the generator mode? Also the crap about 150mpg equivalent for a 60 mile trip is nonsense because using power off the grid shouldn't be factored into the figure for MPG.

Another page:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01...y-the-numbers/

Why is the curb weight so damned high? The EV1 used LEAD ACID and this is going to use li-ion yet it weighs more? Has GM not learned that a heavy vehicle is going to get poorer mileage? Why is this thing so stupidly heavy?

Its only about 50 pounds more, but its a 4 passenger vehicle instead of a 2 passenger. Its a bigger vehicle.

imzjustplayin 06-26-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 108334)
Its only about 50 pounds more, but its a 4 passenger vehicle instead of a 2 passenger. Its a bigger vehicle.

In case you didn't notice, the EV1 has LEAD ACID batteries, the Volt is Lithium Ion batteries.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 06-26-2008 06:42 PM

Huh, 3100 ain't nothing for a car these days, more's the pity.

GasSavers_Randy 06-26-2008 06:52 PM

The EV1 was a tiny aluminum thing, like an Insight with Saturn styling. It's just not comparable. And they did make a NiMH version at the end.

Nobody really knows what the Volt will or won't do... in a couple of years maybe there will be some hard numbers. At $40k or so, it'd be more interesting what the cheaper cars can do by then.

imzjustplayin 06-26-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior (Post 108338)
Huh, 3100 ain't nothing for a car these days, more's the pity.

If you want to make a car with better mileage, you've gotta reduce the weight. The Honda Insight weighed 1800lbs and that is WITH batteries. If they elongated the same car to fit 4 passengers, it'd take no more than 100-200lbs of sheetmetal and that's a stretch. Why is that a stretch? Because the Civic Coupe, and hatchbacks tend to weigh in around 100-50lbs less than their 4 door counterparts, even when considering the lighter weight VX/HXs. The small weight difference in the two door and 4 door models has been consistent for at least 2 decades.

General Motors doesn't seem to understand that just because you make an aerodynamic vehicle and throw in all this half assed stolen technology (I'm exaggerating) it doesn't mean the car is going to be fuel efficient. I bet had the EV1 weighed as much as the Honda Insight it would have had the range of 150 miles to 200 miles, and that's on LEAD ACID batteries. Then again, we don't know what the car weighed without the batteries so it's all conjecture. Just remember, the 1800LB Insight is nearly HALF the weight of the EV1 and the Volt yet it carried NIMH batteries, an Engine and didn't skimp on any features. (IMO) From what I read, even after they changed the EV1 batteries to NIMH, I don't believe the curb weight changed all that much.


I thought I should also let you guys know my family was one of the first to have an EV1, I have the charger to prove it.:D

goofy1 06-27-2008 03:21 AM

i'm with you on this *************. also they had older tech. batterys and that got more mileage on one charge with then the volt. the weight is diffently added to aplease big oil. because once the batterys are out of juice, u gotta use the generator that uses(big shocking music from soap operas)gasoline. reduce the weight by say...100-150 pounds and keep the batterys,motor..etc the same or loss the weight and add more batterys.lol shoot add 100lbs more batterys lol. GM is a good company, with some pretty good cars. They do front flips to make the public/consummer happy. but at the same time do triple flips to make Big Oil even happier. Same goes for most other companys as well.

Jay2TheRescue 06-27-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ************* (Post 108336)
In case you didn't notice, the EV1 has LEAD ACID batteries, the Volt is Lithium Ion batteries.

I understand that, its still a larger vehicle though... Steel is heavy.

goofy1 06-27-2008 03:45 AM

true, steel is heavy. but why not use aluminum. cheaper, lighter,and if it's a good grade it can be even stronger.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.