Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Civic VX wheels or aftermarket? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/civic-vx-wheels-or-aftermarket-9170.html)

travr6 06-27-2008 10:56 AM

Civic VX wheels or aftermarket?

I have a 1995 civic vx with aftermarket wheels.
I have searched around and found nothing to answer my question.

Should I go with the factory civic VX 13" wheels
or
The factory 14" Hx wheels
or
a set of aftermarket lightweight wheels?

I am thinking that the tires generally weigh more then the wheels so I think it would be better for me to go with a 14" light weight wheel and buy a lower profile tire which would save weight. IT would also give me a slightly larger tire diameter which would mean less revolutions per mile.

I am new to this so is my thinking correct?
What do you suggest?

If you suggest buying a lightweight aftermarket wheelset then what do you suggest?
It is hard to find how much wheels weigh. IS there certain brand of wheels that are hypermilers favorites?

mini-e 06-27-2008 11:54 AM

VX's are 9 lbs and HX's 11.5. lbs. They are both pretty darned light and I see them for 150 to 250 a set on Cairg's list all the time with the occasional bargain 80-120 a set popping up.. There are many more good tires available in 185 60 14 than the 175 70 13 and with 14>13 in general it is pretty hard to beat these wheels with aftermarket stuff in terms of wieght/$$. I would go with the HX myself because of the greater availability and choice of good tires. The VX setup would pencil out a bit lighter mounted with tires. Like a couple lbs a wheel or so. You can research the weight difference with specs from tire rack, they are smart enough to give tire weights on all the tires they sell.

civic lover 06-27-2008 12:10 PM

I bought a set of vx rims instead of hx for two reasons. Vx are easier to find for less money (for my area anyway) and the 13 inch tires are less expensive than 14 inch tires.

ShadowWorks 06-27-2008 12:20 PM

There is always some kind of strength difference between alloy wheels and steel wheels, go for the lightest ones, less centrifugal force to turn better FE.

mini-e 06-27-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic lover (Post 108447)
I bought a set of vx rims instead of hx for two reasons. Vx are easier to find for less money (for my area anyway) and the 13 inch tires are less expensive than 14 inch tires.

Good Points- I see the vx's at 150 and the hx usually more like 200-250. 13" tires are cheaper too. I value performance and the falken aziens, toyo t1r, yoko avs 100's and a bunch of other good tires are available in 14 but not 13. If you do not care about grip then 13 and VX's are hard to beat.

travr6 06-27-2008 01:10 PM

Would you get better mpg at highway speeds with a slightly larger wheel/tire combo though?

I would think the 14" would allow you a smaller/shorter tire which would mean a 14" tire would weigh less then a 13" tire. Plus a 14" wouldn't rack your mile up as quickly.

If the HX wheels are $200+ a set used is there any aftermarket wheels that are just as light I might be able to pick up for about the same price?

If I do go with stock wheels I will probably end up powder coating them. So the cost of powder coating would allow me to just purchase a slightly more expensive aftermarket wheel

mini-e 06-27-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travr6 (Post 108458)
Would you get better mpg at highway speeds with a slightly larger wheel/tire combo though?

I would think the 14" would allow you a smaller/shorter tire which would mean a 14" tire would weigh less then a 13" tire. Plus a 14" wouldn't rack your mile up as quickly.

If the HX wheels are $200+ a set used is there any aftermarket wheels that are just as light I might be able to pick up for about the same price?

If I do go with stock wheels I will probably end up powder coating them. So the cost of powder coating would allow me to just purchase a slightly more expensive aftermarket wheel

https://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html

the HX and VX wheels are hard to beat weight/$$/availability/correct offset/lug pattern....

miata wheels are civic compatible BTW.. scroll down, this is a pretty good list.

civic lover 06-27-2008 02:36 PM

I see you are wondering about getting a bigger tire to make the overall diameter larger. I would stay with the stock over all diameter because then your speedometer is correct. Yes you would then put less miles on the car then if this is your overall objective.

mini-e 06-27-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travr6 (Post 108433)

I have a 1995 civic vx with wheel and buy a lower profile tire which would save weight. IT would also give me a slightly larger tire diameter which would mean less revolutions per mile.

The gearing is so tall on the VX anyway- I second the leave the gearing stock opinion.

Danronian 06-28-2008 07:19 AM

There are some 13 inch tires which are sticky and designed for auto-cross use.

I like both the hx and vx wheels, but for me I could never find the HX ones for cheap but I did pick up an extra set of VX ones for just around $100.