Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Suzuki Swift total mods to date (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/suzuki-swift-total-mods-to-date-9255.html)

green swift 07-02-2008 09:42 PM

Suzuki Swift total mods to date

Hi all, I want to list all the mods to date. I have gone 880km to 31.7L of fuel. The car is '01 swift with a 1.3 engine with 108,000km on the car.
Mods,,,Mechanical:
1.IAT sensor mod
2.k&n filter and air box mods.
3.amsoil 0W30 engine oil.
4.MTL 70W80 trans oil.
5.Alternator disconnected.
6.increased grounding on negative returns.
7.LED lights.
8.diconnected daytime run lights.
9.increased tire pressure to max side wall.
10.block heater.(water)
11.engine oil heater.

Mods aerodynamic:
1.under pan engine bay
2.under pan back of car from gas tank to bumper(rear diffuser).
3.complete front air dam
4.wheel splats in front of rear tires.
5.grill block
6.wipers removed
7.left outside mirror removed
8.wheel pants front and back.
9.VG's top side and bottom of car at rear.
10.rear spoiler match to VG's.
11.reduced size of front Lic. plate.

Driver Mods (the nut behind the wheel)
1. moderate pulse and glide
2.coasting
3.max speed is 90km/h
4.engine off at all traffic lights.
5.adjusting speed for head winds all the time.
6.adjusting work schedule to stay away or out of traffic jams.
7.picking travel routes that are best for the bottom line.economy

These are my mods to date but more to come pics will follow...

GasSavers_BEEF 07-03-2008 04:44 AM

the only thing I noticed on your list that was different than most is the VG's.

did the vortex generators give you a noticeable increase? I have seen them for 20 bucks before and wondered if they would really do anything or if they were just a gimic. seeing your list, I would assume you are in it for the longhaul so you would be a good one to aks.

btw, stupid question but what is your current gas mileage in MPG?

green swift 07-04-2008 10:00 AM

VG's and MPG

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 109361)
the only thing I noticed on your list that was different than most is the VG's.

did the vortex generators give you a noticeable increase? I have seen them for 20 bucks before and wondered if they would really do anything or if they were just a gimic. seeing your list, I would assume you are in it for the longhaul so you would be a good one to aks.

btw, stupid question but what is your current gas mileage in MPG?

The VG's on top off the car so far have been the ones have the longest test duration. I have had them on the car for about 3 months. It took some playing around to get them in the right spot. The reason why is that the info on the internet gives you placement for that car but every car is not the same...I started at the base line then kept moving them until I got the position I was lookig for....I have a 15 degree turn down spioler on the back of my car. So my setup is somewhat different than on the internet.
I have seen about 2.5% increase in MPG. Current MPG is 78.8mpg.imp. The VG's on the side of the car and the bottom are not tested yet. I will know this tank what I will be getting in MPG, so far I am about 25km ahead of my last tank we will soon see.....I did not by my VG's off the off the web site because those ones are plastic. I made my own out of "T" extrusion alum.
Much better quality and you can change them around without damaging them....

GasSavers_BEEF 07-04-2008 10:55 AM

my spoiler is pretty much straight out. not too much of a grade to it at all. I have thought about the VGs but didn't know what to believe as far as the internet goes.

are you using double sided tape to hold them in place or have you made a more permanent mounting situation.

I am still thinking about them. If I do go with VGs, it will probably be with the plastic ones just for ease and if I am not happy, I only waisted $20.

thanks for the info, and also your MPG is very impressive.

green swift 07-04-2008 09:41 PM

VG's mounting

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 109566)
my spoiler is pretty much straight out. not too much of a grade to it at all. I have thought about the VGs but didn't know what to believe as far as the internet goes.

are you using double sided tape to hold them in place or have you made a more permanent mounting situation.

I am still thinking about them. If I do go with VGs, it will probably be with the plastic ones just for ease and if I am not happy, I only waisted $20.

thanks for the info, and also your MPG is very impressive.

Yes you can use the 3m two sided tape for testing, the rain may slowly unstick your VG's or even the very hot sun... My idea is for testing only...
I used silicone adhesive for mine and they have survived a northern winter so far....It must be silicone adhesive only the regular silicon does not have the holding power as the adhesive one does....GOOD LUCK VG's all the way...

GasSavers_BEEF 07-07-2008 03:32 AM

my idea is that they are relatively cheap and if I don't see too much of a gain then I haven't waisted much.

also, my wife has been looking for a not so expensive birthday presant for me. it fits the bill. and no we aren't big spenders

dosco 07-08-2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green swift (Post 109597)
It must be silicone adhesive only the regular silicon does not have the holding power as the adhesive one does....GOOD LUCK VG's all the way...

You could use acrylic latex caulk. I put some homebrew VGs on with that stuff, it's dang tenacious.