Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Civic cut off going 70mph on Hwy!!!! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/civic-cut-off-going-70mph-on-hwy-9269.html)

GasSavers_Erik 07-05-2008 02:16 PM

I believe the 1.5 D engine is an interference engine and the valves usually just bend over to the side. A peek in the oil filler cap while cranking will tell if the cam is turning with the engine.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 07-05-2008 02:44 PM

On a motor with a cam driven dizzy you can take the cap off, give it a quick flick of the key to crank and if the rotor is pointing a different way then the cam is moving. That's somewhat easier if you haven't got anyone to crank it for you and don't have a remote switch.

GasSavers_bobski 07-05-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic_matic_00 (Post 109619)
The coil is not "in the distributor" it is in the distributor cap, under the rotor.

Everything inside the distributor cap is sealed away from the elements by a large O-ring and *drumroll* the distributor body. Therefore, when assembled, the space inside the distributor body and inside the distributor cap become one.
Oh, and the ignition coil is above and to one side of the rotor, not under it. Other than the rotor and spark plug wires, it's the only thing that has an electrical connection to the distributor cap.
The ignitor unit is below the rotor - it's attached to the distributor housing and has 4 wires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danronian (Post 109638)
The main relay should not affect the car after it is running, only when it's being started.

Generally speaking, that's true. But that doesn't mean a main relay can't fail while the engine is running. The typical fractured solder joint symptoms have something to do with heat and the mechanical forces exerted on the relay contacts, so they generally manifest themselves once the relay is warmed up, and the mechanical load has been removed (relay switched off). There are many other ways the relay could fail, some of which would occur while the engine is running, and would permanently disable the relay. Just because the faulty solder joint problem is the most common failure mode, doesn't mean it's the only one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 109649)
if a timing belt snapped while going 80 (high rpms) im betting it would sound like a garbage disposal while he was cranking it from the smashed valves and broken pistons

Not necessarily... You're playing camshaft roulette. The cam has quite a bit of drag to it and not a whole lot of inertia, so when the belt breaks it stops spinning pretty quickly. It's really a matter of how those few out-of-sync rotations and the cam's resting position relate to the movement of the pistons. If a pair of valves happen to be fully open when the corresponding piston hits TDC, you'll be buying new parts. If not, you got lucky.

My money is on the ignition system - probably the ignitor unit. Not that I have enough info to make a sound judgement. :)

smccall 07-05-2008 09:01 PM

When I turn the key, I can hear the fuel pump priming so I guess I can dismiss the main relay or fuel pump being bad. I didn't have a chance to pick up the coil yet, but i'll do it today.

101mpg 07-06-2008 04:21 AM

Suspendedhatch - read my post fully. I didn't say to replace anything willy nilly. I said:

Quote:

Cap & rotor should be replaced if they are not new and you replace the coil.
And at the VERY BEGINNING I said to check the following - coil, cap & rotor. I meant exactly what I said - check first, but if you replace the coil you should replace cap & rotor at the same time if not new. Please don't imply that I said otherwise, when I specifically did not. We are all here to save on fuel, and that extends to saving on parts when we can. It doesn't make sense to do otherwise.

civic_matic_00 07-06-2008 07:09 AM

"Everything inside the distributor cap is sealed away from the elements by a large O-ring and *drumroll* the distributor body. Therefore, when assembled, the space inside the distributor body and inside the distributor cap become one.
Oh, and the ignition coil is above and to one side of the rotor, not under it. Other than the rotor and spark plug wires, it's the only thing that has an electrical connection to the distributor cap.
The ignitor unit is below the rotor - it's attached to the distributor housing and has 4 wires."

since I had just replaced my civic's ignition coil a few weeks ago, I take it that it's a given that I already know that.

civic_matic_00 07-06-2008 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101mpg (Post 109730)
Suspendedhatch - read my post fully. I didn't say to replace anything willy nilly. I said:

And at the VERY BEGINNING I said to check the following - coil, cap & rotor. I meant exactly what I said - check first, but if you replace the coil you should replace cap & rotor at the same time if not new. Please don't imply that I said otherwise, when I specifically did not. We are all here to save on fuel, and that extends to saving on parts when we can. It doesn't make sense to do otherwise.

I totally agree with you there.

replacing the ignition coil should also warrant a change of the distributor cap and rotor. I would go a step further and do a full tune up and replace the wires and sparkplugs as well. if the fuel filter haven't been changed yet, I'd go ahead and replace it.

as for the original posted problem, Haynes repair manual states the fuel system, and ignition system to be checked with this type of problem. I would check the ignition system first (coil, cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires, relay).

GasSavers_bobski 07-06-2008 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic_matic_00 (Post 109736)
since I had just replaced my civic's ignition coil a few weeks ago, I take it that it's a given that I already know that.

Then why did you state otherwise?

VetteOwner 07-06-2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 109698)

Not necessarily... You're playing camshaft roulette. The cam has quite a bit of drag to it and not a whole lot of inertia, so when the belt breaks it stops spinning pretty quickly. It's really a matter of how those few out-of-sync rotations and the cam's resting position relate to the movement of the pistons. If a pair of valves happen to be fully open when the corresponding piston hits TDC, you'll be buying new parts. If not, you got lucky.

My money is on the ignition system - probably the ignitor unit. Not that I have enough info to make a sound judgement. :)

well the cam isnt goign to immediately stop it will make a at least one or a few full rotations, and since the pistons are moving 2X the cam speed somehitngs gonna get smashed or even if it does stop instantly its guranteed at least 2 valves are going to be open in the engine by just the way an engine runs

civic_matic_00 07-06-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 109742)
Then why did you state otherwise?

why did I state otherwise? read my posts, it specifically state that I've replaced my ignition coil. I also stated that the coil is inside the cap under the rotor. I don't see how that would be understood as anything else.