Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   US car Companies in the UK (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/us-car-companies-in-the-uk-9301.html)

Fondue 07-07-2008 04:41 PM

US car Companies in the UK

...Get way better mpg. I've been looking at the Ford Kuga. It's available in the UK and gets 44 imperial mpg, so maybe 40-41 US mpg....and it's a SUV.

atomicradish 07-07-2008 05:38 PM

Can these cars be imported? How much would it cost?

I know that inspections are very rigorous on cars in Japan, and semi new cars there are often not worth fixing up, so they have to junk them for a new one. Could a supermini or a kei car in Japan be imported here for a decent price?

VetteOwner 07-07-2008 10:34 PM

reason why is becaue of our super high safety standards, over in europe theres not many places where you can reach highspeeds and keep them. so their cars arent as friendly in an accident.

now over here in the us even tho most states still requite to wear a seatbelt by law, they STILL CRASH TEST CARS AT 30 MPH WITH AN UNBUCKLED PASSENGER!!!

so that means bigger interior space, padding everywhere, crumple zones, etc...

that and our American way of thinking that if its a tiny car your inferior to larger cars/drivers...hence why yuppety people drive land barges and drive them offensively and middle and low class people drive 10 year old cars defensively, because either A) they cant afford a new car or B) arent trying o impress anyone.

car companies know this hence wont try to sell it here

Jay2TheRescue 07-08-2008 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 109979)
reason why is becaue of our super high safety standards, over in europe theres not many places where you can reach highspeeds and keep them. so their cars arent as friendly in an accident.

now over here in the us even tho most states still requite to wear a seatbelt by law, they STILL CRASH TEST CARS AT 30 MPH WITH AN UNBUCKLED PASSENGER!!!

so that means bigger interior space, padding everywhere, crumple zones, etc...

that and our American way of thinking that if its a tiny car your inferior to larger cars/drivers...hence why yuppety people drive land barges and drive them offensively and middle and low class people drive 10 year old cars defensively, because either A) they cant afford a new car or B) arent trying o impress anyone.

car companies know this hence wont try to sell it here

Not only the safety standards, but I bet that european Econoboxes won't pass US emissions either.

-Jay

thornburg 07-08-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fondue (Post 109942)
...Get way better mpg. I've been looking at the Ford Kuga. It's available in the UK and gets 44 imperial mpg, so maybe 40-41 US mpg....and it's a SUV.

That's 36-37MPG (US), not 40-41. And that's with a Turbo Diesel engine. Still pretty good economy, but with the higher price of diesel, it wouldn't be any more cost effective than the Escape Hybrid, and it is almost exactly the same size.

EDIT: Oh, and there are two reasons they won't bring it here, neither of which are safety (it has award winning safety and is slightly heavier than the Escape). They are (1) Ford is heavily invested in the Escape in the US, and this would be a direct competitor and (2) With the currently weak dollar, it would be difficult (according to Ford, impossible) for them to sell it at a reasonable price and still make a profit.

Fondue 07-08-2008 01:25 PM

How do you figure a 9mpg difference between the Imperial gallon, which is equal to 1.2 US gallons?

goofy1 07-08-2008 01:56 PM

when i was in england. i read about their saftey and emissions standards and they're about twice has high as any U.S. standard. Their cars are safer and cleaner then the states cars. example: in the uk, they test their cars up to 85mph in crash test. if i remember correctly it's 55-60mph in the states.

VetteOwner 07-08-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy1 (Post 110105)
when i was in england. i read about their saftey and emissions standards and they're about twice has high as any U.S. standard. Their cars are safer and cleaner then the states cars. example: in the uk, they test their cars up to 85mph in crash test. if i remember correctly it's 55-60mph in the states.

but im betting everyone is buckled up, correct?

changes ALOT of things in an accident wither your bouncing around the inside or if your part of the car:thumbup:

GasSavers_GasUser 07-09-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 109994)
Not only the safety standards, but I bet that european Econoboxes won't pass US emissions either.

-Jay

Bingo..........

thornburg 07-09-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fondue (Post 110099)
How do you figure a 9mpg difference between the Imperial gallon, which is equal to 1.2 US gallons?

Two ways: 1) Convert MPG (imperial) to Gallons (imperial) per mile, multiply by 1.2 to get Gallons (US) per mile, then invert it again to MPG (US). 2) Google Kuga fuel economy or Kuga MPG and you'll see that the rating in MPG (US) is listed as 36 or 37 (depending on the source).