Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Car Reviews (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Fuel Hoarder (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/fuel-hoarder-9305.html)

sceiauto 07-08-2008 12:00 AM

Fuel Hoarder

This new device attaches to the TPS and reduces the voltage (within the paramaters) to decrease the amount of fuel injected into the cylinders. It is even coming out for big trucks. Does anone have any idea how it can be marketed? I have used this on my car for almost 6 months, and it works. I have put it on a variety of vehicles and they all show gas savings, it varies with engine size and driver habits. check it out at www.fuelhoarder.com.

markweatherill 07-08-2008 01:42 AM

You could revise that website for a start. It's almost unreadable.
More accurate description of how the device works would help. Eg, if it's supposed to operate within a certain RPM range, how does it detect engine speed?

theholycow 07-08-2008 07:16 AM

Forget revamping the website, you could just NOT SPAM IT to forums!

bobc455 07-08-2008 11:30 AM

Despite the blatant spam, the concept intrigues me.

On the one hand, you say that the device reduces the TPS voltage (sounds like a $0.27 resistor from radio shack) to lean out the engine.

On the other hand, the website claims to reduce injector PW by up to .5 ms, also to lean out the car.

Since just about every car runs in closed loop, why do you suppose the ECM would not adjust the PW to compensate and get the target O2 signal?

Would running lean over an extended period damage the engine?

-Bob C.

VetteOwner 07-08-2008 12:41 PM

running lean in an engien for a long time can wear it out (burn valves, blow thru spark plugs faster) you can tell if your running lean when you pull a spark plug out and its white (granted you dont have a coolant leak, thats also white) should be a dirty white to a grey is normal.

funny thing with that sensor, if it goes out the vehicle wont start/run erratically...or the computer trys to adjust by getting readings from other sensors...

sceiauto 07-09-2008 12:20 AM

Thanks for your suggestions

Sorry about spamming. This is the only website I have joined to talk about this. I don't find many people that are interested in discussing this or have enough knowledge. Again, sorry if you feel I am going to many websites about this.

I agree about the website, it is being redone this week. It was kind of a half-assed attempt to get SOMETHING ON the web.

I think one thing that makes this device unique is that it leans out the engine when the TPS senses that the voltage is within a certain range. That is why it doesn't harm the engine. It isn't constantly messing with the fuel mixture. I remember when we used to play with a carb to do the same thing.

The car computer has a certain parameter that it checks to see if the engine is running at, and since the voltage change is so small, the paramater change isn't significant enough to alert the computer.

I appreciate the comments.

bobc455 07-09-2008 07:40 AM

So in other words, the device will lean out the engine, but so little that the O2 sensor won't pick up on it (and make a correction)?

-Bob C.

101mpg 07-09-2008 08:03 AM

I agree - the O2 sensor readings will adjust mixture - so small changes might not get noticed, but would only give small gains. According to your explanation, this would mean it would only make the MPG work at peak, so if you're close to peak MPG then you'd only see 1 or 2 MPG improvement?

Also - it looks like it's a retrofit "drive by wire" system to not make the system run too rich on the other end, thus saving a bit of fuel, but hypermilers wouldn't notice too much effect. Is this also correct?

One of the things that people want to see is proof. There are a few dozen people on this site that would GLADLY be real-world testers for you, posting in detail about it. Each of them would be happy to pay for the device ($159 would be cheap for a permanent MPG gain) after such testing, if it indeed worked. Would you be willing to select a few people from the volunteers to let test your device? I'd be happy to recommend a few of them who have technical knowledge, detailed gaslogs, have done A/B/A testing, and who would post in depth about it.

sceiauto 07-09-2008 11:41 AM

I have been looking for people to test this, that really know their car. My friend in Taiwan has a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer that went from 14 Km/L to 18 Km/L. I would love to see if that same car gets the same changes in the USA. I put it on a Monte Carlo of a friend, and he sees a 13% improvement. Anyone that would be willing to try this, and report on this forum what happened please feel free to contact me through the website. I would love to provide them for free, but I can't. I can provide them for half off. Please feel free to contact me from the site, and I will provide you my phone number.

sceiauto 07-11-2008 10:37 AM

I just found out Nissan will be selling this device in Asia under their Brand Name. Doesn't that show that it has some validity?