Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Picked up a Cobalt XFE tonight. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/picked-up-a-cobalt-xfe-tonight-9368.html)

Fr3AkAzOiD 07-12-2008 07:51 PM

Picked up a Cobalt XFE tonight.

Through a business connection with my wife was able to get a great deal on a Chevy Cobalt XFE and just couldn't let it pass.

My Chrystler LHS is still running and I think I got fixed what was causing it to die just as it warmed up as it hasn't done it in 2 or 3 days now but I'm not sure exactly what to do with it.

I could donate it and get a decent tax write off, selling it would get me $500 tops. Was even thinking of giving it to a golf driving range to be one of the cars they just set out there and hit balls at.

I was thinking of doing some experiments with it on hypermiling since it's damn near worthless anyways but wouldn't be able to do that for a good 6 months till my house is finished being built (they havn't even started yet) and I have a garage to work in and place to store things.

Anyways....on to the good news. Tire pressure at stock 35psi (tire sensors), 75 miles driving (80/20 highway/city), light P&G but no EOC, have averaged 42.5 mpg so far.

Figure once I break the car in and get the tire pressure up a bit I'll be able to turn in 45 mpg tanks or better.

DRW 07-12-2008 08:07 PM

Very impressive!
I'm eager to hear more about the Cobalt XFE. What's it like?

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 07-12-2008 08:29 PM

IF you've got the LHS with twin throttle bodies, you could try blocking one off, taking off the linkage, or wedging a tennis ball in it one side, and pulling the injector wires in that bank and seeing how it drives around on 3 cylinders. 107Hp should still be enough to pull it around I would have thought, won't be no moonrocket of course.

theholycow 07-13-2008 04:23 AM

I predict you'll get 50, not 45, with the same driving once it's broken in and the tires are aired up.

hybriDatsun350 07-13-2008 09:35 AM

Congrats on the new ride. The Cobalt XFE's seem be doing really well. I am glad that GM is starting to get the message!

mini-e 07-13-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior (Post 110856)
IF you've got the LHS with twin throttle bodies, you could try blocking one off, taking off the linkage, or wedging a tennis ball in it one side, and pulling the injector wires in that bank and seeing how it drives around on 3 cylinders. 107Hp should still be enough to pull it around I would have thought, won't be no moonrocket of course.

gnarly!

1cheap1 07-13-2008 01:02 PM

congrats on your new purchase. I think it will get close to 50mpg as theholycow suggested. I have a 3000gt vr4 and my mechanic said i could run the car on 3 cylinders just fine. He said he disabled one bank to isolate a problem and it just ran smooth and drove fine(it was another 3000gt non turbo). You could try it on your LHS and see what happens.

dkjones96 07-13-2008 05:06 PM

But it's still an Ecotec :(

civic94 07-13-2008 05:47 PM

how much did you get it for since you said you got a deal on it?

Fr3AkAzOiD 07-13-2008 06:13 PM

50 mpg would be nice but I doubt I'm going to EOC with a new car, just P&G and pump up tires to just under max so I'm still thinking 45+ but 50 may be a stretch.

Paid $12,8XX for the car + taxes and tags. Just got the base model with about $250 in options. Was about $1K under what the Chevrolet website lists as the MSRP.