Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Question: Higher idle after spark plug replacement (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/question-higher-idle-after-spark-plug-replacement-9395.html)

thornburg 07-15-2008 06:59 AM

Question: Higher idle after spark plug replacement

I've searched for this info on his site and on Google, and I haven't had much luck.

I replaced the plugs, wires, and distributor cap on my car this past Sunday, and everything seems fine, except that the idle is a little higher and causes a bit more vibration than it did before. At least it seems to.

The only thing I found in my search was about vacuum leaks, but I've checked, and I didn't bump any vacuum hoses in the process.

Note that I used Bosch Platinum +2 plugs, because they were only a few dollars more than the regular plugs (for a set of 4, not each), and I thought it would be worth a try.

Does anyone have any idea why my idle would change like that, and if it is a problem I should worry about?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ford Man 07-15-2008 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thornburg (Post 111094)
I've searched for this info on his site and on Google, and I haven't had much luck.

I replaced the plugs, wires, and distributor cap on my car this past Sunday, and everything seems fine, except that the idle is a little higher and causes a bit more vibration than it did before. At least it seems to.

The only thing I found in my search was about vacuum leaks, but I've checked, and I didn't bump any vacuum hoses in the process.

Note that I used Bosch Platinum +2 plugs, because they were only a few dollars more than the regular plugs (for a set of 4, not each), and I thought it would be worth a try.

Does anyone have any idea why my idle would change like that, and if it is a problem I should worry about?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you were working in the area of any vacuum lines you should check them to make sure none of them are cracked and causing a vacuum leak. It could be they were brittle and cracked if you bumped it. Usually if you have a very bad vacuum leak it will make the idle much higher. I also wonder if it would help to disconnect the battery and let the computer reset, it may have something to do with the new type plugs. I have never used the +2 platinum plugs, so I don't know the effects of them.

thornburg 07-15-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Man (Post 111096)
If you were working in the area of any vacuum lines you should check them to make sure none of them are cracked and causing a vacuum leak. It could be they were brittle and cracked if you bumped it. Usually if you have a very bad vacuum leak it will make the idle much higher. I also wonder if it would help to disconnect the battery and let the computer reset, it may have something to do with the new type plugs. I have never used the +2 platinum plugs, so I don't know the effects of them.

Thanks for the reply.

I had the battery disconnected when I did the job (and actually for about 36 hours beforehand as well), because it was recommended to disconnect it before doing the plug wires & cap, and it was necessary to remove it from the car to get the cap off anyway.

The idle isn't a lot higher, maybe 90RPM or so? I wish I had paid closer attention to what it was in various states before, so I would know exactly.

One thing I can say for sure is that idle in neutral with the AC on is almost exactly the same, before and after (about 1100RPM), it is the idle in neutral (no AC) and idle in gear w/foot on the brake that seems somewhat higher.

I'll try to remember to take a look at the vacuum lines for cracks before I leave work this afternoon. I'm not real engine-savvy (yet), so I've just been checking any small-ish hoses when checking for vacuum lines. That is what they are, small hoses, right?

Ford Man 07-15-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thornburg (Post 111104)
Thanks for the reply.

I had the battery disconnected when I did the job (and actually for about 36 hours beforehand as well), because it was recommended to disconnect it before doing the plug wires & cap, and it was necessary to remove it from the car to get the cap off anyway.

The idle isn't a lot higher, maybe 90RPM or so? I wish I had paid closer attention to what it was in various states before, so I would know exactly.

One thing I can say for sure is that idle in neutral with the AC on is almost exactly the same, before and after (about 1100RPM), it is the idle in neutral (no AC) and idle in gear w/foot on the brake that seems somewhat higher.

I'll try to remember to take a look at the vacuum lines for cracks before I leave work this afternoon. I'm not real engine-savvy (yet), so I've just been checking any small-ish hoses to when checking for vacuum lines. That is what they are, small hoses, right?

Vacuum hoses are usually no larger than 3/8" and most of the time they are even smaller. Sometimes after just having the battery disconnected the idle will go up until the ECU gets everything readjusted. It usually takes 50 to 100 miles for everything to be reset properly.

mrmad 07-15-2008 11:41 AM

Did you gap the plugs and adjust the timing when you were done?

thornburg 07-15-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmad (Post 111123)
Did you gap the plugs and adjust the timing when you were done?

Bosch Platinum +2 are "gapless" and specifically say not to adjust the gap. I'm not even sure you could, those prongs look like they might break if you tried to bend them.

I did not adjust the timing. Is it necessary to adjust the timing when you replace the spark plugs & wires? I didn't see that in the Haynes manual or the Autozone online instructions...

Jay2TheRescue 07-15-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thornburg (Post 111126)
Bosch Platinum +2 are "gapless" and specifically say not to adjust the gap. I'm not even sure you could, those prongs look like they might break if you tried to bend them.

I did not adjust the timing. Is it necessary to adjust the timing when you replace the spark plugs & wires? I didn't see that in the Haynes manual or the Autozone online instructions...

Its not absolutely necessary, but its always a good idea to check the timing when replacing that stuff.

-Jay

thornburg 07-15-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 111130)
Its not absolutely necessary, but its always a good idea to check the timing when replacing that stuff.

-Jay

I suppose that in order to check the timing I need to take off the timing cover and have a timing light?

The only car I've even been remotely involved in the timing belt on was a VW TDI and we used a VAG-COM to monitor timing instead of a light...

dkjones96 07-15-2008 01:22 PM

It's possible for this to happen. The more efficient combustion from the new parts can cause the engine to run a little higher at idle.

We get this at work all the time on older carbbed engines and notice that the IACV closes a little more at idle. If you have a EFI you should take a look at your IACV to make sure it's working correctly.

Jay2TheRescue 07-15-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thornburg (Post 111132)
I suppose that in order to check the timing I need to take off the timing cover and have a timing light?

The only car I've even been remotely involved in the timing belt on was a VW TDI and we used a VAG-COM to monitor timing instead of a light...

now I've only had american cars, but everything I've ever owned you did not have to remove the timing cover to check the timing. There was a mark on the harmonic balancer that you highlighted with a piece of white chaulk, then aimed a timing light at it while the engine was running. The mark would line up with a scale on the side of the timing cover and you could read what the timing was.

-Jay

thornburg 07-15-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjones96 (Post 111136)
It's possible for this to happen. The more efficient combustion from the new parts can cause the engine to run a little higher at idle.

We get this at work all the time on older carbbed engines and notice that the IACV closes a little more at idle. If you have a EFI you should take a look at your IACV to make sure it's working correctly.

There don't seem to be any directions relating to the IACV on autozone's onine manual... I haven't checked my Hanes yet. Where do I find it, and how do I check it?

Jay2TheRescue: Perhaps I'll see if I can borrow a timing light... I looked at the timing procedure, and it looks like I don't need to take off the timing cover. It mentions (if necessary) loosening the "pinch bolts" on the distributor and twisting it to adjust the timing... The pinch bolts aren't regular screws, are they? I'll have to figure out what those are... The stupid autozone manual only has pictures of what it wants to have pictures of, and the haynes book has only a few pictures and they are mostly of different engines than mine.

Jay2TheRescue 07-15-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thornburg (Post 111160)
There don't seem to be any directions relating to the IACV on autozone's onine manual... I haven't checked my Hanes yet. Where do I find it, and how do I check it?

Jay2TheRescue: Perhaps I'll see if I can borrow a timing light... I looked at the timing procedure, and it looks like I don't need to take off the timing cover. It mentions (if necessary) loosening the "pinch bolts" on the distributor and twisting it to adjust the timing... The pinch bolts aren't regular screws, are they? I'll have to figure out what those are... The stupid autozone manual only has pictures of what it wants to have pictures of, and the haynes book has only a few pictures and they are mostly of different engines than mine.

Its usually a bolt with a U shaped bracket that clamps down on the distributor to keep it from shifting. On most cars you can't get straight at it. You will probably need a distributor wrench to get at it. They are cheap and available at any parts store. A good thing to have if you plan on working on your own cars.

-Jay

guest001 07-15-2008 05:31 PM

well, just a little theory. advancing the timing increases rpm. If your cap, rotor, plugs, wires where all out of spec/worn or one or two where in not so great condition, I could see a slight increase in rpm after bring all these components back up to new condition. less resistence, technically the spark would fire sooner. increasing the rpm as if you increased timing. Interesting though, I've never really seen this, but it makes sense.

thornburg 07-16-2008 04:27 AM

I couldn't get any time to look at the car last night, but I did have an idea this morning...

The car was a little hard to start this morning (didn't take more than one try, but it cranked longer than usual before starting, and sounded a little different). Last night, I filled up at the gas station a little less than a mile from my house, so the car was started, and then not run for very long.

What if my battery is dying? If the battery is toast, that would cause the alternator to run more, right? Would that increase idle RPM? I'm building a house of cards here, since I know very little about cars/engines...

I have no idea how old the battery is. The positive terminal was all covered in crud, so I cleaned it & the connector with a wire brush while I had the battery out for the distributor cap.

Jay2TheRescue 07-16-2008 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thornburg (Post 111202)
I couldn't get any time to look at the car last night, but I did have an idea this morning...

The car was a little hard to start this morning (didn't take more than one try, but it cranked longer than usual before starting, and sounded a little different). Last night, I filled up at the gas station a little less than a mile from my house, so the car was started, and then not run for very long.

What if my battery is dying? If the battery is toast, that would cause the alternator to run more, right? Would that increase idle RPM? I'm building a house of cards here, since I know very little about cars/engines...

I have no idea how old the battery is. The positive terminal was all covered in crud, so I cleaned it & the connector with a wire brush while I had the battery out for the distributor cap.

How old is the battery? I don't think this is your problem though. Have you considered the possibility that you got a bad tank of fuel? Maybe there was some water in the tanks at the station.

-Jay

kamesama980 07-16-2008 05:54 AM

I'd get the battery tested, most shops and parts stores will do it for free. if they say it's bad, get a new one.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it, especially only 90 rpm. It's probably that with all your new parts your car has the power to idle higher with a load (IE: in gear, foot on brake). Hell, my truck varies +/-100 rpm just from a mildly dirty IACV.

guest001 07-16-2008 01:58 PM

load test without a vat 40 ;-)

Ford Man 07-16-2008 02:06 PM

Harder starting and/or rough idleing could be another sign of a vacuum leak. I don't think the battery would be an issue in this, but I guess anything is possible. Does your car have an idle speed control motor or idle air control valve? I have had them go bad before and the engine idle would change, but if that was the problem your ECU should be sending a code.

Jay2TheRescue 07-16-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Man (Post 111298)
Harder starting and/or rough idleing could be another sign of a vacuum leak. I don't think the battery would be an issue in this, but I guess anything is possible. Does your car have an idle speed control motor or idle air control valve? I have had them go bad before and the engine idle would change, but if that was the problem your ECU should be sending a code.

I remember years ago following my grandfather to the dealer to get his Grand Marquis worked on. It barely ran, was hard to start, and idled like crap. yeah the car was 8 years old, but only had 40,00 miles on it. The dealer called back a few hours later. The problem: a $0.89 vacuum tee had fatigued and snapped. They replaced it, and charged him an hour for diagnostic services and labor. The car ran great after that.

thornburg 07-16-2008 05:46 PM

Thanks for all these tips. I should have some time tomorrow night and/or Friday to actually look into it.

suspendedhatch 07-16-2008 09:03 PM

Those Bosch plugs are junk and will give you nothing but problems with a Toyota. Toyota's are known to be picky about spark plugs. I suggest getting the regular old NGK plugs or factory Denso.

Check ignition timing and reset the ECU. Make sure your throttle cable isn't binding.

dkjones96 07-17-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suspendedhatch (Post 111354)
Those Bosch plugs are junk and will give you nothing but problems with a Toyota. Toyota's are known to be picky about spark plugs. I suggest getting the regular old NGK plugs or factory Denso.

Check ignition timing and reset the ECU. Make sure your throttle cable isn't binding.

Got any proof of that? Links? I've run Bosch plugs in my 88' Toyota with zero problems.

Granted, you may not see any more performance than you would from a set of normal Platinum plugs. Calling the plugs junk is a little far. The thought process behind these +2 plugs and theory is sound. Just don't think it works as well in the real world as it looks to on paper.