Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Stupid hypermiling story (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/stupid-hypermiling-story-9413.html)

theholycow 07-16-2008 02:15 PM

Stupid hypermiling story

This is a stupid story about hypermiling, not a story about stupid hypermiling.

I get gas at the same side of the same pump every time to ensure consistency. The gas station I go to is usually very empty. So I attempt to EOC into my usual gas station, but traffic in the lot messes me up. Then I restart, and once traffic clears I head for my pump, and an elderly lady in an SUV comes zooming in from the other side to my pump. My engine is already off and I stop short, so I have to key-start again.

I'm so flustered by now that I fail with the clutch and stall it as I attempt to back up into a parking space. I sit there in the middle of a wide-open area for a few seconds deciding on my next move and re-gathering my wits. Then I start it again, back up into the space, and wait. A male passenger gets out of the SUV and pumps gas. I fiddle with some stuff in the car while I wait.

Finally I see that they're about to leave, so I get ready to start and go to my pump. The moment they pull away, someone comes in from the same side as them, makes a U-turn between me and the pump, and goes to the pump. Why didn't he just go straight to the other side, which would have been easier for him to get to, and easier to get out of?

I tire of this silly game and leave the car parked, walk to the WalMart nearby and buy a big sack of Meow Mix. When I get back to the car the station is empty and I am able to get gas.

VetteOwner 07-16-2008 05:26 PM

why u eating meow mix:p

yea i hate idiots that either don't pull up to the next pump (quite obviously their not going for FE or anything)

i stalled my truck today to, was backing out of a spot and just kinda idled out then musta dumped the clutch or something cuz it cut out quick lol. restarted and was on my way.

the chevette when i first start it in the morning is very easy to stall, expecially when u gotta do a complete u turn up a slight incline to get out on the road:(

ihatemybike 07-17-2008 04:17 AM

Sounds like too much work to me. I'll take the inconsistency of different pumps, it will all average out in the end.

VetteOwner 07-17-2008 01:42 PM

most of em prolly pump outa the same tank in the ground anyways and they have to be inspected yearly and calibrated yearly

kamesama980 07-17-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatemybike (Post 111373)
Sounds like too much work to me. I'll take the inconsistency of different pumps, it will all average out in the end.

werd

holycow, you are a nut. lol but where would we be without you.

I totally understand how you just have to take a moment to take a breath and hit the reset button after being thrown from your groove.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 07-17-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatemybike (Post 111373)

I'd agree, but when you're trying to experiment with something and only have full tank mpg to go on, you really hate to have extra variables thrown in.

[grump] couldn't fill at my favorite pump today [/grump]

GasSavers_GasUser 07-20-2008 02:37 PM

holycow......you have waaaaaaay more patience than I.

theholycow 07-20-2008 04:00 PM

LOL, that's the ONLY time I've ever had to wait for that pump. If I had to do it often I'd be much less picky.

Ratman667 07-20-2008 06:11 PM

i can't say anything, i use the same pump everytime too. but since the station is only about a half a mile away from the house i usually stop early in the morning on my way to work. that way the tanks are cooler and there are less cars on the road. i live next to a navy base, so at 5 in the morning all the cars are going the opposite way.

my biggest complaint about other drivers is when i am coasting and have to hit the brakes because the car in front of me insists on driving 20 mph. the road i live on has a speed limit of 45, i can get up to about 50 and eoc for about a 3/4 of a mile to a stop light. usually by the time i get to the light i am still going about 30 and if i am lucky i can restart the car and get back up to speed and coast all the way to the house. that happens about once a week. on my way to work its different, i only have to accelerate 3 times. its a 3 mile drive one way (yes i knowi could walk or ride a bike, but driving has always been my favorite hobby) and i can usually only get away with stopping at one light.

not trying to hyjack, but thats been bothering me

VetteOwner 07-20-2008 06:24 PM

ahh THOSE people... pull out on a 55mph highway right in front of you and take forever to accelerate either A) forcing you to stomp the brakes or B) quickly merge over (hate doing cuz of bad blindspots in my car and truck). then when your over n the left lane keeping a constant speed you were behind them they accelerate like a bat outa hell when they realize your passing them...