Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   VX Owners: Sumitomo HTR T4 Tires On Sale @ Sears (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/vx-owners-sumitomo-htr-t4-tires-on-sale-sears-9476.html)

gork57 07-21-2008 10:04 AM

VX Owners: Sumitomo HTR T4 Tires On Sale @ Sears

I noticed a sale on Sumitomo HTR T4 tires in the Sunday Denver Post ad flyer section yesterday. The price for 175/70-13 is $34.99, or $139.96 for the set of 4 before tax and installation. None of the Sears Auto Stores in the Denver metro area had these tires in the 165/70-13 OEM VX size. Total price installed at the Aurora Mall, CO store with Road Hazard protection is $244.83, without protection $224.83. Of course your local taxes, etc. will change your total price somewhat. The sale price is good through 7/26/08.

I priced this same tire at Tire Rack, including shipping and the price my local installer charges. The total comes to $313.20 with Road Hazard, $289.20 without. TR's prices are usually pretty good, but Sears has got them on this one.

cems70 07-21-2008 12:36 PM

I bought a set of four T4's about 15 months ago when Sears was running the same special. I hesitated between the 165/70-13 and 175/70-13. I had just installed a VX tranny in my '95 DX hatchback. I was pretty sure the 165/70 would take away the sluggish acceleration that I felt was from the existing stock 175/70 tire size: correct for the DX w/ the DX tranny, but probably creating gearing that was too tall for the already tall geared VX tranny. I ultimately settled on the 175/70 because I couldn't justify the extra cost for the 165/70 that was not part of the sale. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with the 165/70 because the tall gearing is a little unbearable at times. And the larger 175/70 tire makes my odometer show 3% too few miles.

gork57 07-25-2008 02:21 PM

How have the Sumitomo tires performed for you over the time you've owned them (wear, dry/rain/snow traction, etc.)? I'm considering going for this deal to replace the lousy Dunlop SP40s on my VX now. A quick reply would be appreciated, as the promo ends on 7/26...

bowtieguy 07-25-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gork57 (Post 112571)
How have the Sumitomo tires performed for you over the time you've owned them (wear, dry/rain/snow traction, etc.)? I'm considering going for this deal to replace the lousy Dunlop SP40s on my VX now. A quick reply would be appreciated, as the promo ends on 7/26...

tho i've not had them long, they give very good first impressions! excellent wet and dry traction even at high speed on curves.

not sure about snow traction.

had a 'tire guy' tell me they're just as good or better than goodrich or michelin, only less expensive.

cems70 07-25-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gork57 (Post 112571)

I've had mine for 25,000 miles, and I have to disagree w/ bowtieguy. They have mediocre wet/dry traction, especially on curves, and are lousy in the snow and ice. But for the price, you can't beat them.

My basis for comparison are a set of brand new Firestone FR380 that I replaced because I thought they were lousy LRR tires. And compared to 2 sets of Nokian NRT2 tires from my previous '95 VX, the Sumi's are really awful. So my plan is to use the Firestones this winter and the Sumi's during the spring, summer and fall.

Snax 07-25-2008 08:30 PM

I found it a little odd that when I bought mine, they explicitly declared that there was no warranty on them because they are considered a performance tire. I would not characterize them that way. I wouldn't call them crappy in that regard either, just unimpressive.

Regardless, they are a good value and an especially good LRR option.

SteveX82 07-26-2008 04:51 AM

FWIW, you could also buy the tires themselves from sears for ~$150 with tax, then have them installed cheaper at somewhere like BJ's for $10/ea + tax. That will keep you under the $200 barrier for 4 installed tires (so long as you don't mind going without a road hazard warranty:) )

friz 07-26-2008 05:50 AM

This is another option. 4 sumi's $202 shipped from tire rack. harbor freight portable tire changer $50 (must be bolted to floor. don't get the portible part?) Bubble balancer bought at an auction for $5. A few stick on wheel weights. I only have a few hundred miles on mine so I have nothing to report. So far so good though.

monroe74 07-29-2008 06:32 AM

I currently have the Sumi HTR200. I imagine they are similar to the T4, but I don't really know. Anyway, I think the wet/dry handling is excellent. But I expect them to be bad in snow, so I will get Nokians. Had them before on another vehicle. They're great. Not cheap.

I have an extra set of VX wheels to put them on.