Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Bought a non-ish fuel saving vehicle... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/bought-a-non-ish-fuel-saving-vehicle-9485.html)

korax123 07-21-2008 08:06 PM

Bought a non-ish fuel saving vehicle...

Well since we will be having a baby in 3 months me and the wife went to look at 4 door vehicles to replace the 93 Civic with 190k on her.

She wanted a 08 Jeep Patriot with the 2.0 and CVT in Sunburts Orange. We found 1 with the smaller engine and After work last Monday we drove the 60 Miles to go look at it. We both drove it, but had mixed feelings about it. It just seemed a little to small for everything we do. The wife usually pics up 3 or 4 kids.

So since we were there I always wanted to see the interior of the Dodge Journey. Well the wife sat in it and it just felt right. Now it is the fuel saving 2.4 4cyl version. But if you check my garage we only got 20.8mpg for the first fuel up. That was taking it pretty easy on her, but the tires were 2.5lbs low on air. They were all at 30.5 and i inflated them to 33lbs, I want them to wear evenly.

We also got the 2.99 gas so that will help and bought a 7 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warrenty.

So the wife is happy and thats what really matter. I will keep a gas log as much as I can on it.

Oh yea we were looking at small SUV's because when it rains were we live in AZ the water gets pretty deep so we wanted some ground clearence and the Journey has 8"

1cheap1 07-21-2008 09:29 PM

Sounds like a good purchase. Good luck with it and yes, if the wife is happy then everyone is happy.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 07-22-2008 02:41 AM

Water? Arizona? Shens! :D

I've been looking askance at the Journeys though, it LOOKS like "all the space of a Focus Wagon, for the MPG of a minivan!" in other words, take the minivan or take the focus wagon. The dodge guys I chat with say the Magnum wagon is a better bet and gets better mpg. So hope that one works out for you.

theholycow 07-22-2008 05:48 AM

Don't forget, in addition to you bumper to bumper warrenty, you've got the lifetime powertrain warranty! :)

The Patriot seems like an extremely practical and economical basic transportation vehicle but I can see how it would not be large enough for soccermomming. I looked at it for my commute and was very impressed.

As for your mileage, keep in mind that it will increase as the car breaks in. Everything is tight right now. Also, you may be able to use more tire pressure without causing uneven wear.

GasSavers_GasUser 07-22-2008 06:31 AM

I would have thought the Patriot would have been bigger inside than your 93 civic. I sat in one and it looked roomy for it's size.

Anyway, you made the right decision getting something that fits your needs. That is the most important thing. Sounds like you did ok. Good luck with your new car.

korax123 07-22-2008 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasUser (Post 112109)
I would have thought the Patriot would have been bigger inside than your 93 civic. I sat in one and it looked roomy for it's size.

Anyway, you made the right decision getting something that fits your needs. That is the most important thing. Sounds like you did ok. Good luck with your new car.

Yea the Patriot is roomier then the Civic. But if you look at the space behind the rear seat in the Patriot it's problably smaller then the trunk of the civic. We figured putting a stroller and baby stuff back there it wouldn't have much room for anything else.

And the engine is filling more lively as its getting broken in. I will keep you all updated.