Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Saving gas by not changing lanes? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/saving-gas-by-not-changing-lanes-9656.html)

LoudAccord 08-06-2008 10:35 AM

Saving gas by not changing lanes?

I figure that when you turn, you have to use your power steering pump which means more draw on the pully. I gave this a try and got 2mpg better by not changing lanes. Any input?

justa4door 08-06-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudAccord (Post 114183)
I figure that when you turn, you have to use your power steering pump which means more draw on the pully. I gave this a try and got 2mpg better by not changing lanes. Any input?

i think next time dont even turn :gotme: or cut the PS belt and put water in your oil it will cool faster thus makeing the car run better

dkjones96 08-06-2008 10:48 AM

Hmm. I wouldn't think that changing lanes would cause that much of a load from the power steering pump. Most cars and even large trucks can change lanes without much effort without power steering.

Too bad you have an 06(serpentine belt). Anyone with an older car tried removing the belt for the PS pump completely? It sucks but might be a good place to look for gains.

What about having a hydraulic(or pneumatic) pressure storage tank and having the pump charge the tank on decel? Then you could have power steering without the constant load? That won't work. Power steering systems run an open loop that flows constantly and freely when no turning is done and loads the pump by restricting the exit to one side of the rack to create pressure and the assist.

Sorry, thinking out loud.

justa4door 08-06-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjones96 (Post 114186)
snip

What about having a hydraulic(or pneumatic) pressure storage tank and having the pump charge the tank on decel? Then you could have power steering without the constant load? That won't work. Power steering systems run an open loop that flows constantly and freely when no turning is done and loads the pump by restricting the exit to one side of the rack to create pressure and the assist.

Sorry, thinking out loud.

why spend more money then you will ever save on building that

dkjones96 08-06-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justa4door (Post 114188)
why spend more money then you will ever save on building that

Yeah, after posting that I thought of how cheap and easy it would be to just have a micro-switch on the throttle to activate or deactivate an electromagnetic clutch for the thing.

gridefosho 08-06-2008 11:11 AM

It's to my understanding that if you are to blow a load in the pump it lubricates better resulting in less power needed.

justa4door 08-06-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gridefosho (Post 114196)
It's to my understanding that if you are to blow a load in the pump it lubricates better resulting in less power needed.

would need at least 3 or 4 friends to help with this .. but may work I will try

aalb1 08-06-2008 11:24 AM

Describe your drive a little more... As of now I'm thinking that the 2mpg is more a result of other things rather than less PS use. Aren't you surprised that you gained 2mpg from less PS use?

I'm thinking this.... Changing lanes means you need to pass someone. Passing usually results in faster speeds and more acceleration periods. Staying in one lane means that you'll stick to a fairly constant speed, and usually a slower speed and in return less aero drag.

See what I'm getting at?

bobc455 08-06-2008 11:24 AM

Actually turning a car takes almost no energy whatsoever.

If you ever get a car on a single-post center lift (like the next time you get a set of new tires), you will notice that you can rotate a car with your pinky finger.

At highway speeds you could remove the belt from your P/S pump, and you wouldn't feel any different. (Please, nobody try to remove their belt while driving at highway speeds!) The only time you need P/S is in parking lots.

Even if you take a hard corner, there is really no energy required to do that- the only energy required is to change the rotational inertia of the vehicle. Once you have started to take a corner, no further energy input is required. (To visualize this, think about a zig-zagging car instead of a car doing a single circle. The zig-zagging car will lose its momentum faster, since you are rapidly accelerating the rotation in opposite directions.)

Holding a car in a circle does load up the suspension, but those are static loads and do not require energy "input" once the car has started to rotate.

-Bob C.

justa4door 08-06-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobc455 (Post 114201)
Actually turning a car takes almost no energy whatsoever.

If you ever get a car on a single-post center lift (like the next time you get a set of new tires), you will notice that you can rotate a car with your pinky finger.

At highway speeds you could remove the belt from your P/S pump, and you wouldn't feel any different. (Please, nobody try to remove their belt while driving at highway speeds!) The only time you need P/S is in parking lots.

Even if you take a hard corner, there is really no energy required to do that- the only energy required is to change the rotational inertia of the vehicle. Once you have started to take a corner, no further energy input is required. (To visualize this, think about a zig-zagging car instead of a car doing a single circle. The zig-zagging car will lose its momentum faster, since you are rapidly accelerating the rotation in opposite directions.)

Holding a car in a circle does load up the suspension, but those are static loads and do not require energy "input" once the car has started to rotate.

-Bob C.

most hondas came w/o PS .this is one thing most people dont know and wonder why hondas get 10+ mpg more.. and really its not that bad in a parking lot.. you get used to it really fast..IE like haveing to roll a lil before you start to turn