Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Help me rename my car! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/help-me-rename-my-car-9674.html)

Jay2TheRescue 08-08-2008 08:26 AM

Help me rename my car!

Well, I thought that calling my Buick "The Buick" was a bit too boring... I then changed it to "The Retro Eighties Flashback". Now I'm thinking like it sounds like a pun on hatchback, of which my Buick is more of an anti-hatchback. I'm open to any & all suggestions. I drive it conservatively, but I have no plans on any serious hypermiling as it is 27 years old and I don't want anything like neutral gliding or EOC to send me into the repair shop. The car is driven mostly for fun.

-Jay

theholycow 08-08-2008 08:35 AM

My wife named mine "Christine" when I first got it, because every time she got in it she hit her head on the way in...and I was spending a lot of time on it.

I don't think the "hatchback" issue is anything to be concerned about...if anyone else makes that connection, when they see what it is they'll just laugh.

bobc455 08-08-2008 08:49 AM

My friends (jokingly?) refer to my car as the "Buke" (because it sounds like "puke").

Try to avoid that one, I've never found it to be very flattering. At least until I remember that they are just jealous because my Buick is so awesome...

-Bob C.

Jay2TheRescue 08-08-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobc455 (Post 114514)
My friends (jokingly?) refer to my car as the "Buke" (because it sounds like "puke").

Try to avoid that one, I've never found it to be very flattering. At least until I remember that they are just jealous because my Buick is so awesome...

-Bob C.

Your Buick sounds really cool... You should put a pic in the garage. I've been threatening to send it to the body shop for paint for the past 10 years now... hasn't happened yet though. I wish I could remember some Buick ad slogans. Something along the lines of "Not your father's Oldsmobile", or "We build excitement... PONTIAC!" would be really cool.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue 08-08-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 114511)
My wife named mine "Christine" when I first got it, because every time she got in it she hit her head on the way in...and I was spending a lot of time on it.

I don't think the "hatchback" issue is anything to be concerned about...if anyone else makes that connection, when they see what it is they'll just laugh.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I had initially thought "The Retro 80's Experience", but then I remembered I saw a car named "The Metro Experience", and didn't want to rip-off someone else's name. I just figured I'd throw it out there and see what came up.

I still think someone needs to call their car "Not your father's Oldsmobile". That would be so funny, but then again anyone under 25 probably wouldn't get the joke.

-Jay

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 08-08-2008 10:55 AM

I might have gone with "Chick Hicks" or "Thunder" or "Ka-chigga" or something along those lines.

GasSavers_BEEF 08-08-2008 11:12 AM

I like "THE BIG WHITE HOOPTIE"

I see cars like that all the time with 26" rims and jacked up in the sky about a foot.

Jay2TheRescue 08-08-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior (Post 114523)
I might have gone with "Chick Hicks" or "Thunder" or "Ka-chigga" or something along those lines.

Well, I was doing more thinking... and I googled "words that rhyme with regal" and ended up here: https://www.nearrhyme.com/index.jsp?w...&a2sc=i&a2sv=i

Now I'm thinking of something that's somewhat original... How about...

Regal Knievel

???

She's old, and battlescarred. Keeps coming back for more though...

One of my sisters ran it into a ditch avoiding a dog.

I loaned it to my other sister when her car was broken, and she rear-ended someone on the DC Beltway in it.

I've been sideswiped by a Jeep.

I've been rear-ended by a full size pickup (and the pickup was totaled with little damage to my car)

And finally, years ago when I worked midnights I started to fall asleep on my way home a block away from home and ran over my neighbor's mailbox.

I think I'm liking it, but I'm still open to suggestions.

I also thought of The Beagle Regal as a play on the bar on Three's Company (The Regal Beagle) because she's so battlescarred and can be tempermental (yet still loyal) at times - You know like the car is a dog...

-Jay

theholycow 08-08-2008 11:39 AM

Another rhyming dictionary:
https://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi...frhyme=perfect

Not a lot of rhymes for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 114525)

I see cars like that all the time with 26" rims and jacked up in the sky about a foot.

Those aren't hoopties, they're donks.

Jay2TheRescue 08-08-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 114525)

That made me laugh... Its not really white though. Buick called it "Pastel Waxberry". It was originally a very pale pastel yellow, almost cream colored. The digital image is from before digital cameras... I scanned in a picture of the car back in the good old Windows 3.1 days... Since the car has not been waxed in about 12 years, and not washed in 5 or 6 years it does look like a dirty white car though.