Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   HHO and Hydrogen (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Any truth to HHO (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f32/any-truth-to-hho-9676.html)

mrjetskey 08-08-2008 12:48 PM

Any truth to HHO

I know we cant build a hydrogen gen to produce enough for a car out of water at this point.I was wondering if the HHO produced at say 5LPM of it would actually oxidize the gasoline it was mixed with in the combustion chamber sort of like NOX does? since they clearly produce hho (the homebuilt reverse type batteries that you feed 15 amps into) I know they dont produce enough to run the car on, but surely this must help improve the mileage ,they seem so adamant about it.I wanted to ask in here since this is not an HHO forum so I figured you guys would be unbiased,any ideas>Marvin thanks so much in advance

GasSavers_BEEF 08-08-2008 01:24 PM

if it didn't work, they wouldn't sell it on ebay....just look how good the tornado is selling and the electric supercharger. (note: sarcasm)

truthfully though, anyone that has reported any gains that I consider reputable are seeing very neglegible gains which aren't worth your normal joes time or money. most are just heating water and burning electricity.

and maybe I am a little biased, also (just to let you know) there is an HHO section on this forum as well. you may get more positive feedback there.

Jay2TheRescue 08-08-2008 01:33 PM

The Tornado is a piece of junk. I bought one for Rusty years ago... I now have an expensive, funky shaped piece of stainless steel sitting on the garage shelf. Maybe I shouuld cut it up and use it to make an HHO generator.

-Jay

dkjones96 08-08-2008 02:28 PM

I'm a pretty big skeptic when it comes to this stuff. BUT I made one of these from a piece of sheet metal one day and can't say it was totally worthless.

Up top it was a light restriction, at anything under 80% throttle the 'vortex' created by it is worthless because of the throttle body, but at a wide throttle opening I seemed to have felt a difference in the low-end feel of the car.

Maybe I should strap my car to the dyno and see wtf... Been meaning to do it for HHO anyways.

Jay2TheRescue 08-08-2008 03:18 PM

Well, it was being sold as a fuel saving device, and the only thing it did was take ~$75 out of my bank account.

GasSavers_BEEF 08-09-2008 01:46 PM

the reality is that most (if not all) of the cars on this site haven't seen WOT in quite some time. I don't think mine has seen more than half throttle so it is no more than a restriction in the line.

$75 for a restrictor plate, not a good deal

theholycow 08-09-2008 03:52 PM

My car sees WOT probably more than 50% of the non-highway time on my commute. It's getting me great mileage.

https://www.gassavers.org/gaslog/sig.php?id=1399

WOT at low RPM is great...

GasSavers_BEEF 08-09-2008 06:30 PM

yea but my WOT throws me into open loop.

not all of us have the lugury of the wide band O2 sensor.

am I jealous.........yes very

severach 08-09-2008 07:50 PM

WOT on a diesel doesn't take your vacuum away.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 08-09-2008 08:40 PM

I use larger throttle openings to accelerate quite briskly. Seems to work wayyyy better than trying to granny it up to speed through the TC slush and wishful thinking. However, on the tornado front, while I can see circumstances where the theory works out, they don't in practice come up often. Any 2 bank motor feeding off a single intake... well it's fighting factory "swirl" on half of it, and you've got a 50% chance of being wrong on a single bank motor. And then when you're right, the factory swirl might have been done well enough in the first place that you're fighting for the last 10th of a percent in 10% of the driving range.

theholycow 08-10-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 114637)
yea but my WOT throws me into open loop.

Don't you have a programmable computer? Can you program out open loop? If I understand correctly, the only reason WOT closed loop requires a wideband O2 is if it's expected to make maximum power, and you could just program it out and lose a couple HP at top end...

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 08-10-2008 05:10 AM

If the TPS is the only way the ECU knows you're at full throttle, then hacking that with a resistor in the right place might work... unless the ECU figures it out and faults it.

Sludgy 08-10-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjetskey (Post 114540)
I was wondering if the HHO produced at say 5LPM of it would actually oxidize the gasoline it was mixed with in the combustion chamber sort of like NOX does?

HHO (more commonly known as H2O, or water) is very stable, already oxidized. HHO will not oxidize hydrocarbons. If you are referring to H2, H2 cannot oxidize anything, it is a powerful reducing agent......not an oxidizing agent. Basic chemistry. High School stuff.

thornburg 08-11-2008 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy (Post 114699)
HHO (more commonly known as H2O, or water) is very stable, already oxidized. HHO will not oxidize hydrocarbons. If you are referring to H2, H2 cannot oxidize anything, it is a powerful reducing agent......not an oxidizing agent. Basic chemistry. High School stuff.

If you know so much about basic chemistry, you should know that HHO is NOT the same thing as H2O. HHO is Brown's Gas. It has very different properties than water (despite having the same base elements in the same ratio).

You can run a welding torch on Brown's Gas. Can you run a welding torch on water vapor or steam?

hod 08-27-2008 10:16 AM

The Canadian Hydrogen Energy Company guarantees a minimum of 10-percent improvement for diesel trucks using their hydrogen fuel injection technology, (which is really HHO gas). Results are likely more since this is a minimum.