Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Vehicle (honda) specific aero mods? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/vehicle-honda-specific-aero-mods-9688.html)

GasSavers_Hal9000 08-10-2008 06:56 PM

Vehicle (honda) specific aero mods?

So is there anyplace that details what aero mods are best or most popular for specific vehicles? In my case I'm trying to figure out what to do with my '88 CRX. I don't want to invest a ton of time either experimenting or digging through endless thousands of pages of unrelated info, otherwise I wouldn't ask.

GasSavers_BEEF 08-10-2008 07:25 PM

grill block, air dam, possibly a belly pan.

I think the CRX is actually a pretty good design when it comes to aero. post some pics and start a gas log. I would also do a search for "CRX aero" or something like that.

the search feature isn't great but you work with what you have right?

trautotuning 08-10-2008 08:13 PM

99% of all aero mods apply to all cars. Such as lowering, front lip, underbelly covering, antenna removal, front wheel deflectors, windshield wiper deflectors, etc.

GasSavers_Hal9000 08-11-2008 06:47 AM

Right, thanks guys.

I've only had the car about 6 weeks, but I have a slowly (very slowly) growing collection of gas reciepts in my glovebox waiting to go into a fuel log. I normally do that in my vehicle maintenance log, but I haven't been able to find one at the local parts stores for some reason. I'm just going to buy a little notebook and start using that. Then it'll be much easier for me to just grab it and bring it into my computer to start a log here on the forum.

FWIW, I'm already beating the epa mileage for my car by quite a bit (I can only guess that my normal driving habits are soo conservative that I'm basically hypermiling all the time anyway). As I've gotten used to the car, my MPG has gone from 35 to 37 to 39 in the city, and I've hit 46 on the highway. All with no major modifications (yet :)

FWIW, I was really hoping to see exactly what other CRX drivers have done... maybe to have some examples to try to emulate. I'll try googling crx aero and see what that yields.

GasSavers_BEEF 08-11-2008 08:07 AM

I hope this link works. it shows a very extreme CRX but it give you an idea.

it is a good read.

https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....light=crx+aero

*edit* it worked

GasSavers_Hal9000 08-11-2008 11:13 AM

Good read, thanks beef. I may have to see if that yahoo group is still around at some point.

Anyway, that CRX is more than a bit extreme I'd say. I'd really like to see what "normal" people (very tongue in cheek, I don't put myself in that group!) have been doing. Like how small of a radiator opening can we get away with? I'm thinking of buying some foam blocks to carve into molds for FG block off inserts, and the last thing I want to do is make the intake too small. Although maybe I could just make small inserts that fit side by side and fill the hole in incrementally......

A belly pan and air deflectors for the tires I can handle, albeit some other time when I have more time and better access to the underside of my car ( I'm still building my garage at this point).

trautotuning 08-11-2008 01:17 PM

My Grill block on my 07 Mazda (which probably requires WAY more cooling that you little 1.5L) covers the whole front grill, and the only opening is about 2x10 inches.

So right there you can see that the opening can be darn small.

GasSavers_BEEF 08-12-2008 07:48 AM

my grill block covers everything but a place to put my hand in to pop the hood.

I think the only people that really have issues are the ones that do belly pans and completely close off the engine compartment. mine is still open underneath.

*edit* also mine is a 2.2 liter

trautotuning 08-12-2008 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 114915)
my grill block covers everything but a place to put my hand in to pop the hood.

I think the only people that really have issues are the ones that do belly pans and completely close off the engine compartment. mine is still open underneath.

*edit* also mine is a 2.2 liter

Actually my Mazda has a full front belly pan that covers all the way to the firewall, and even with that small hole, it manages to never get hot.

I have a 2.3L as well, oh and I never rev past maybe 2,200 rpm's, and the temp gauge never goes above the middle (like i said, even in 100+ degree weather)

Danronian 08-30-2008 07:21 AM

On my 1.5L VX I had only a small opening for the grill and no issues, but then again the VX doesn't have a cover under the engine compartment. My friend had a full grill block on his VX from winter through May (Northeast climate) when the car was demolished... and he had no issues with overheating.