Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Wanted to Buy (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Catalytic Converter Needed (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f25/catalytic-converter-needed-9698.html)

Ford Man 08-11-2008 02:46 PM

Catalytic Converter Needed

I need a catalytic converter for a 1996 Ford Contour 2.0L 4 Cyl. Z-Tech engine.

Ford Man 03-08-2009 03:18 PM

Bump

bowtieguy 03-08-2009 04:17 PM

if OEM fit is not a concern, a universal CC has worked fine for me. it actually was cheaper for my mechanic to weld a universal than for me to bolt on an OE one.

Ford Man 03-09-2009 12:11 PM

The problem I have with a universal converter is that the factory coverter is a direct bolt onto the exhaust manifold and the opening in the top of the converter is about a 4 or 5 inch hole and I can't figure out how I could make a universal fit in place of the OEM converter. A new unit from Ford is about $900. for this car, but I've got to have an operational converter to pass emmisions testing. I've found several in JY's, but the federal govenment won't allow them to sell them. I think that's a bunch of bs. Why should they care as long as it's working correctly.

jeep45238 03-11-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Man (Post 129687)
The problem I have with a universal converter is that the factory coverter is a direct bolt onto the exhaust manifold and the opening in the top of the converter is about a 4 or 5 inch hole and I can't figure out how I could make a universal fit in place of the OEM converter. A new unit from Ford is about $900. for this car, but I've got to have an operational converter to pass emmisions testing. I've found several in JY's, but the federal govenment won't allow them to sell them. I think that's a bunch of bs. Why should they care as long as it's working correctly.

You would be very surprised what a sawzall, a universal cat, and some pipe adapters can do.

bowtieguy 03-11-2009 01:54 PM

yup. mine's a funny story. my mechanic has a minority partner who didn't want to put one on my car(cutting and welding involved).

so i priced my EOM direct fit bolt-on, then went back to see my mechanic's price. the majority owner said he'd do it(for less), and as it turns out, his partner ended up doing it anyway!

Jay2TheRescue 03-11-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Man (Post 129687)
I've found several in JY's, but the federal govenment won't allow them to sell them. I think that's a bunch of bs. Why should they care as long as it's working correctly.

I agree totally. In the late 80's, long before emissions testing I had an exhaust leak in the CC of my 1980 Bonneville wagon. I wanted to just find a cat in a salvage yard, but they wouldn't sell me one. A replacement at the time was $400. Being a high school kid I wasn't going to put $400 into it. I took the car to a welding shop where they jacked the car up, and welded the cat back shut so it didn't leak anymore for $10.

-Jay